Quit Smoking Support

yourresidentdj

So I've decided to quit smoking and my goal date is this Thursday. I'm down to 3 a day and have 1 pack left. I'm not having withdrawal symptoms and I know I'm ready to quit. My problem is I have always rolled my smokes while watching TV. Since I haven't bought tobacco I put my machine in storage. I don't know what to do with my hands while watching tv now. I found my knitting needles and I'm sitting here just knitting nothing in particular.
I can use any ideas and lots of encouragement please.
Samkaren
Your resident dj

SaveComment69Like
Comments (69)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salonva

I stopped smoking at least 5 times, finally the last time was probably 30 ish years ago.

I'll just offer some advice- it took me several times to learn that I can never smoke a cigarette again because I was and am THAT addicted to it. I think everyone has a vulnerability with some addictive attractions and mine is absolutely cigarette smoking. I had stopped several times and then maybe on a vacation or out to dinner, thought I'd have one or two and then was back full steam ahead. So please if you're going to stop dont' break it. It's hard work.

The knitting needles sound like a good idea. One thing that helped me, was to drink water. It kept me busy getting water, drinking water, and running to the bathroom---, was calorie free, .

I'll just encourage you and wish you success.

1 Like Save    
Ninapearl

i was going to suggest knitting or crocheting. maybe some puzzles?

i'm right there with you! i quit years ago and then thought just ONE won't kill me. how wrong i was. i really need to quit, too. my hands are too arthritic to go back to crocheting which i miss dearly!

i don't know if you're a believer but when i quit before, i went by the sign of the moon and it was a breeze. i know a lot of people who have been successful using this. here are the best days to quit, when the sign is "right", according to the farmer's almanac. i'm going to shoot for may 24.

wishing you the BEST LUCK!!!

• May 24, 2024
  • June 1, 2024
  • June 28, 2024
  • July 25, 2024
  • July 30, 2024
1 Like Save    
tuesday_2008

Do you sew? You might try hand sewing a pretty quilt pattern. Once your pieces are cut, you can curl up in front of the TV in a comfy chair, a few pieces of your pattern, needle and thread, and a pair of scissors. I hate using a sewing machine….stresses me.

And don’t stress if you never finish it😜.

I like to work jigsaw puzzles on my ipad while watching TV. My favorite is jigsawplanet.com

Jigsawplanet

Save    
Judi

Are you rolling tobacco or pot?

Save    
faftris

Quitting is a gift that you are giving to yourself. Definitely take up a craft or two. Knitting, needlepoint, crochet. I think giving your hands and your brain a task to occupy them will help. And take a tip from Annie--make something that you can donate to a worthy cause. You will feel even better and motivated doing that. You can do this!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’d imagine rolling is pretty mindless for you, so I’d be looking for sometiing equally mindless to fidget with. Perhaps silly putty? Or Play-Doh or clay or yeast dough. Something you the feel of.

It’s been about 8.5 years for me, and I quit many times before that. Nevwr kid yourself that you can have just one! Good luck to you!

4 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

Thank you all. I used to cross stitch and still have all my threads and patterns. I've never tried quilting but it sounds like fun.

Judi..... tobacco

1 Like Save    
morz8 - Washington Coast

Had you thought about a worry stone? Just something to hold and move in your hands, maybe rub with your thumbs. You are already an artist, how about a doodle pad and a colored pencil or two. You may even come up with some ideas you might like to try to paint later. Best of luck to you, I don't think any one method works for all. You'll find your best route if you are serious about this and it certainly sounds like you are.

I'd say you are 98% there with the three a day! Congratulations to you!

Save    
eld6161

Good for you.

You need something mindless since you want to do it watching TV.

Maybe this

And you get the benefits of exercising etc.

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

I quit for good in 1976. Grew up during a time where most everyone smoked. Chain smoking parents and I always joked I never had to learn to inhale since I'd been smoking my entire life. Tried to quit a 2 pack plus a day habit several times. Failure after failure and disgust at myself. The only thing that worked for me was going cold turkey. No last cigarette, no tapering off. Threw out all the cigarettes in the house along with all the ashtrays. Put away the lighters and matches. Washed everything that could be washed, aired out the house and declared it a smoke free home. Never looked back. I officially became a smoker at age 12 and quit at 25.

5 Likes Save    
Olychick

When I quit smoking 55 years ago (yikes) what worked for me was sunflower seeds. The kind in the shell. I ate the salted kind because they were good, but if you can find unsalted and roasted in the shell, that would be easier on the inside of your mouth. They are great because it takes quite a bit to open them and then chew up the little seed. You can eat a lot of them without many calories, Keeps your hands and your mouth busy.

This is the other thing I did that was the hardest but most effective, I knew that first cigarette I didn't smoke would be the hardest, and it was. It got easier as I slowly transitioned to a non-smoker. So I made a pledge to myself that once I decided to not smoke one more cigarette that I would NEVER put another one in my mouth, Ever. Not a 'just this once' or 'just for old time's sake'. NEVER. I knew if I took one puff I would be a smoker again. So I have never had a puff ever again. Best decision I ever made. You will be so happy to not be a smoker! It's tough, Even after a year, I would sometimes catch myself mindlessly reaching for my purse, then realize I was reaching for a cigarette out of habit. Best of luck to you!

3 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

Not quite ready yet but I want to get bac kto exercising as well.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Smoking is a tough addiction to beat. I applaud you for making the effort. Here’s a general timeline of how nicotine withdrawal occurs. If you can stay nicotine-free through each milestone, congratulate yourself and give yourself a dopamine boost from the accomplishment.

• The first 4 hours. After about 4 hours, you’ll likely have a craving for another cigarette. You might feel fidgety or stressed at around the 4-hour mark.
  • 10 hours. You might start feeling more physical symptoms by 10 hours after your last cigarette. You might be hungry because, after hours without smoking, your blood sugar level will be lower than you’re used to. You might also notice a tingling sensation in your hands and feet as your circulation adjusts.
  • 24 hours. After 24 hours, there won’t be any nicotine left in your system, and you may experience strong cigarette cravings. You might also feel anxious or irritable. Staying hydrated can help.
  • 2 days. After 48 hours, you’ll still be experiencing cravings. You might also have a headache. Mood symptoms, such as anxiety and depression, are also common.
  • 3 days. Cravings often start to go away after about 72 hours. You might have a sore throaton day 3, especially if you were a heavy smoker, and you might start coughing.
  • 1–3 weeks. You’ll still have some cravings in the first couple of weeks, but they’ll be less intense than in the first few days. In these early weeks, you might feel that you have less energy and increased hunger. This is because your metabolism is adjusting to the lack of nicotine and to your new blood sugar level.

As others posted, it’s important to make new habits to replace the ones you had when you smoked. If you used to sit on the couch, roll your smokes and watch television, try watching television in a different room and, as you said, keep your hands busy with a different task. You have to fool your brain a bit, too. When the urge to smoke hits, develop a positive response like walking around the block or having a little dance session in your living room…anything to focus your mind in a different direction.

Best wishes for success!!!

3 Likes Save    
lisa_fla

Wow congratulations! You can do this. We are all rooting for you. Latch hook rugs are easy to do while watching TV. Ex smokers always say food now tastes better. Maybe taking a walk can help get your mind off cravings.

2 Likes Save    
colleenoz

Well done! If you're knitting, make beanies, cowls and scarves which are all easy and not too hot to make in summer. Charities which assist the homeless would love the donation :-)

2 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

Thanks for the encouragement, information, and suggestions

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Another "Good Luck" to bestow.

The right things to do are whatever you decide the right things to do are. Everyone is different. Motivation and distraction are or aren't needed or are pursued or not, based on personal needs and feelings. Do it your way, just do it!

Save    
lettersatoz

It's one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself -- I'm rooting for you!! Yes, it's going to be hard in the beginning, but keep reminding yourself that's just temporary - you will get through it. Nothing worthwhile comes easy, as the saying goes. Picture yourself among the millions of people who can hardly even believe they ever smoked -- that will be you some day when you come out on the other side of this. I promise.

Oh, and when I'm watching tv, I'm often simultaneously playing solitaire on my phone. The site I use for that is free, I'm sure there are many others. Just another idea.... Best of luck to you!

1 Like Save    
lisa_fla

Put a jigsaw puzzle out in the tv area!

3 Likes Save    
lisaam

You are getting ready to do something wonderful. good info from voices of experience above. The suggestion to includeexercise / walking are smart. here’s some podcasts from Hidden Brain that might help or pass time https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/the-curious-science-of-cravings/

We will be sending support and want you to succeed!

1 Like Save    
morz8 - Washington Coast

I don't know how large of an area you are in, but I know when my niece delivered a preemie at Duke in NC they provided much needed caps for the tiny babies. Preemies cannot always regulate their own body temps. Do you know I looked for those caps at every baby outlet and vendor I knew of and found none? Gratefully Duke supplied a few for that Dec baby. That baby who is graduating from high school later this month 😊

I know there was a group making pretty soft caps for women undergoing chemo too although some of those may have been sewn, not knitted or crocheted. You might have to make a call or two.

1 Like Save    
jrb451

Congratulations & good luck! Try these Fidgets for your nervous energy.

Save    
Jupidupi

Like Olychick, my Aunt Sarah quit by using sunflower seeds, She said it kept her hands busy and gave her something to put in her mouth.. A friend of mine quit by using the nicotine gum in the beginning to have something in her mouth. She was a pack a day smoker, and when she quit, every day she'd put the cost of the cigarettes in a box. She said that back then, cigarettes cost a dollar. Whenever she would get up to $50 in the box, she'd buy herself something as a reward. She said it was even helpful to think about what she was going to get.

2 Likes Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

I quit in 2006. It was really hard for a year. I found out that everything that I routinely did had a smoke break that went with it. So for the first year I had to go through every thing being reminded that I no longer smoked. There was a saying that I told myself every time that I thought of smoking it went like this: You are one smoke away from a pack a day. I only quit one time, I often reminded myself that I didn't ever want to have to go through that again. I wish you the best!

5 Likes Save    
Lars

If you can swing it, take a vacation and travel somewhere you have never been before. This way you will be in a place that you do not associate with smoking. I think that staying in an environment that you associate with smoking makes it more difficult.

This works for changing any kind of habit.

4 Likes Save    
chisue

I quit when our DS was an infant. I was thirty and had smoked for ten years. Because I never smoked more than a few cigarettes a day, I didn't believe I was *addicted*. HAH! I was chemically addicted, and I was habitually addicted -- used to smoking at certain times that I'd learned to associate with smoking. (Pavlovian!)

After quitting, I realized that I'd smoked to reward myself with a 'break'. It took time to go through all the little gestures: getting a pack out; selecting a cigarette; finding a lighter; lighting up; minding the ash; extinguishing the cigarette. it. I couldn't really DO anything else for those minutes. So much better to simply take the break, minus the props.

*You* can let yourself watch TV... without a cigarette prop.

I love the drink and pee idea -- it'll keep you busy! Also the nut or seed cracking. After all, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." <smile>

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

A friend forced himself into situations where he'd normally light up to train himself not to - like a bar. I thought that was rather clever.

I got myself down to 1 cig a day before finally giving it up altogether - about 10 years ago. I'd promised myself I would quit no later than age 55, and around my 55th birthday, I had my first ever panic attack, which I now think was my subconscious mind reminding me. After that scare (I thought it was a heart attack), going to the ER and subsequent tests (my heart was fine), I never smoked another cigarette - nor wanted to. I became repulsed by the smell too.

I think being around lots of family and friends who are nonsmokers helped, because for years I was usually the only person who'd be sitting outside at gatherings, away from all the fun inside, just so I could smoke. I always smoked a lot more than normal @ social events too.

I like the idea of puzzles or crafts as a distraction 😀

I like often play simple puzzle games on my computer or phone while watching TV. That keeps hands busy too.

2 Likes Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

You might find that some of the "fidget" toys that are available for hyperactive people will fil the bill.

Good luck, where there is a will etc!

Save    
foodonastump

The right things to do are whatever you decide the right things to do are. Everyone is different. Motivation and distraction are or aren't needed or are pursued or not, based on personal needs and feelings. Do it your way, just do it!

This comment stands out because I’ve been about my response since posting it. Yes, we’re all different and for me I don’t do well with replacements because I end up associating them with that which I’m quitting, causing me to dwell on my cravings. I’d rather just try to put it out of my mind. A lot of people talk to me about quitting drinking and I’ll help as much and best as I’m able, but one friend in particular would call me several times a day and in my mind I was like, “Geez, no wonder you can’t quit, all you do is obsess over it!” We’re all different.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I think I agree with what FOAS is expressing - that so much of behavioral modification is in the mind. If you can change how you think about something, it can be much easier to change your behavior related to it. Mind over matter, as the saying goes...

Save    
yourresidentdj

I love how supportive you all are. I watched tv last night with Myben on my lap. She kept me focused on her so I wasn't thinking about rolling or lighting up.

5 Likes Save    
lisa_fla

Tomorrow is Thursday. If there are any cigarettes get rid of them now!! Have your game plan in mind for tomorrow. Good Luck!!

Save    
chisue

You're beating an addiction! It's not supposed to be easy. You won't succeed if you don't own up to the addiction and fight for your life.

I was totally amazed to discover I was an addict! I was disgusted!

I was also amazed that, given the intensity of the struggle, in only a few weeks I was not even thinking about smoking.

I helped myself, yet I can't undo the damage already done to my lungs. I've been hospitalized twice for pneumonia. I can't forget what I saw while touring the hospital corridors as I was recovering.

I'd like to send everyone involved in the tobacco industry to walk those corridors to see the fruit of their work -- the desperate patients -- grey from oxygen deprivation, but not all as old as they look. They are exhausted from the effort to breathe, tethered to oxygen tanks, laboring to suck a little air into whatever viable sacs remain within in their blackened lungs, straining their hearts. This is the end for them.

It's pitiful to see a dying tobacco addict periodically removing his oxygen mask with trembling hands...to take a hit from his drug.

Addiction is serious. Quitting, while difficult, is within reach. Save yourself.

4 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

Get rid of every single item related to smoking. Machine in storage? Why? So you can go back? Nope. Toss it out. Same with ashtrays. Same with that last pack you are smoking. Matches, everything. If it's not there you can't lapse. You set Thursday to stop and changed your mind. Not ready? An addict is never ready. Smoking tobacco was my only addiction and it was very hard to beat. But you either make the decision to beat it or or you don't. All the how did you do it hints are pointless unless you make the commitment.

Editing to correct my not ready comment. I'm leaving it so people see what I am referring to but it's not relevant to your situation. Misunderstanding on my part as Food pointed out below.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Wildchild - I think the ”not ready” comment was about exercise. I read it wrong (I think) the first time, too.

1 Like Save    
Patriciae

I grew up with a chain smoker. When doctors ask if I ever smoked I say yes, second hand. I puked my way across America in just about every direction because the smell made me nauseated. I would not go get my dad a package of cigarettes nor would I go get matches. He quit more times than I can count because it was really bad for him medically. I have real sympathy for people caught in this particular loathsome addiction.

I would say key is changing your habits as much as possible. Knit by all means or needlepoint. Keep busy. Most people seem to find it hard to not smoke after a meal. Have a plan for that. Toss that cigarette maker in the trash. Try to avoid smokers as much as possible. A surprising number of them want company in their addiction. Best of luck and if it doesn't stick this time try again and again and again. It took my father 25 years but he did eventually succeed.

1 Like Save    
salonva

I hope you're still doing ok. I second and third and fourth and.... what Chisue said- it is an addiction. I did not really understand that the first 5 or 6 times I quit ( and sometimes for as long as a year). This is why I say I finally learned that I can never have another cigarette EVER.

I found it helpful when C Everett Koop ( remember him?) said that nicotine was as addictive as heroin, I don't know that that is accurate, but I took it to mean that it was a nasty and strong addiction. Be kind to yourself.

1 Like Save    
honibaker

Good for you Sam!

For some positive reinforcement, you can use a Quit tracker app that shows how many days you have been smoke free, how your body is healing, how much $ you have saved

as of current date (here's an example page, there are several,).

I have many regrets in my life, but I Never regretted quiting smoking, and neither will you!

Save    
yourresidentdj

Update for you

Thursday at 7am I had my last smoke. Got past the habit smokes thru the day. For day one I am doing good. Only had one craving but I chewed on gum and blew bubbles to take my mind off it.

I will succeed with this!!!!!

18 Likes Save    
chisue

Hooray! You GO, girl!

You are going to be SO glad you did this.

Hang in there. It won't take all that long if you don't quit quitting -- and have to Start All Over Again.

1 Like Save    
maddielee

Hooray!

And you know what, besides saving money and the health benefit of stopping, you already are smelling better. Seriously. Smokers seldom realize that they have an odor. By stopping smoking you won’t smell of cigarette smoke. (You will need to wash everything washable.)

Good for you and good luck!

2 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

Thank you so much 💓 I do have a tracker thru Blue Cross. I have to log on everyday and track for 6 weeks to get the non smoking rate on insurance at work.

8 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

Yay! So happy you are making it through the first 2 days ok. You sound very determined. I know it’s hard (I quit in 1981 one rainy day when I was too lazy to go out and buy more). My DD who was 9 at the time was asking me to quit, so I did.

1 Like Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

You are doing great! I still remember my quit date, March 30 2006. That tracker kept me going for about 3 years, until I had to get a new cell phone. I was so addicted mentally more than anything else. I had to constantly remind myself, I was one smoke away from a pack a day. Stay strong & you will get there!

1 Like Save    
chisue

That's a nice incentive with the better rate for your health insurance. It's certainly a better way to save than rolling your own 'coffin nails'. It's interesting that they think it takes six weeks to free yourself, but it's still one impulse at a time for now.

Did you smoke at work? I remember seeing pathetic people standing outdoors in the cold Chicago winters.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Many smokers have secret, deep seated, almost unconscious thinking about smoking (just as many have to do with overeating). Like, a cigarette is a reward, entertainment, a substitute for company, will calm your nerves, makes you look sophisticated (I believe that last is what led my brother into smoking as a young adult - and he never quit until he had a stroke and COPD - too late).... when the desire hits, try to be aware of whatever thought may be active, and actively tell yourself the opposite.

Save    
yourresidentdj

Yes I did smoke at work on my breaks and after lunch. Day 3 and doing good. I found a stress ball in my junk drawer and using it to distract me. I still haven't felt any craving or anything but I am feeling better. I think I've broken the "at home and driving " habits. When I go to work Monday I'll have the other habits to deal with.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I do think weaning yourself down to just a few cigs per day helps to avoid strong cravings when you finally stop altogether. Once I was smoking 1 per day, I never had any cravings, it was more from habit than anything else.

Save    
foodonastump

Weaning off anything is near impossible for me, and exactly why overeating is the hardest addiction for me to break. And exactly why having "just one" after having quit, even after a long time, has been the beginning of the end, every single time.

But once again, whatever works for you, great!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

You’re doing great! Overcoming some of the ’automatic’ moments is a part of it. Reducing the number of cigs smoked is a huge step.

Save    
foodonastump

I think she’s fully quit at this point, not just reduced. On day 4, hopefully! 🏆

2 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

Day 4 and no smokes. I did a little exercising as well. Lol not a lot but will get there

11 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Never quit quitting!

Smoked for 37 years, 3 packs a day at the end. Quit for my 50th b'day, was actually 51 by the time it ended!

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Back at work today, Monday? Are you able to avoid co-workers who still smoke? This is another routine/habit to reshape. Don't let them sabotage your good progress.

Have you noticed your skin 'pinking up' with the improved circulation?

1 Like Save    
yourresidentdj

Well I didn't go into the smoking area on my break or lunch. I went to the no smoking section outside. That was a big step for me.

9 Likes Save    
sjerin

Good job, Karen!! My dh quit many years ago and he was a bear through it all, but it stuck. Pat yourself on the back for me.

Save     Thanked by yourresidentdj
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Dang kathyg - you must've been chain smoking!

Rooting for you, yourresidentdj 🙂

1 Like Save     Thanked by yourresidentdj
foodonastump

Kathy - I was thinking, at five minutes per cig three packa is five hours of smoking a day. Hopefully you didn’t have to go outside each time, adding to that?

I once had a boss tell me I had to be 18% more productive while working, to offset smoking. I’m 93% sure he made up that stat, but it’s food for thought. I’ve never noticed smokers to be less chatty, etc., in the office to offset their smoke breaks…

1 Like Save    
chisue

Good move, avoiding the smokers at work. This is brave, declaring yourself to be quitting! (It's possible that some smokers will resent you for this. That is all about them, not you.)

1 Like Save    
yourresidentdj

I had to talk to my friend at work today when she was on break. Went into the smoking area and wasn't tempted at all. The smoking didn't bother me but I only spent a few minutes out there. I will admit I had one grouchy moment today. I am so proud of myself so far!!!

11 Likes Save    
floraluk2

"I am so proud of myself so far!!! "

And so you should be! You're doing a great thing. Both for yourself and those around you. If you keep it up you'll discover that going to that smoking area will become a horrible experience. Smokers and their habitats smell foul!

1 Like Save    
chisue

Be proud! You're conquering something with a nasty grip on your body and your mind.

Save    
yourresidentdj

I think I was off on the timing. Today is day 7 and going strong. Had a few "used to have a smoke right now" moments but hugged my fur baby then. I am also now able to just sit and watch TV without thinking about rolling smokes.

Having smoked for 46 years I thought quitting would be impossible but it's not!

9 Likes Save    
yourresidentdj

A coworker today asked me if they could buy a smoke from me. I proudly said "I quit 10 days ago "

8 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Very proud of you!

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

You are off to a super start!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

You are doing great! Proud of you!

Save    
yourresidentdj

Thank you everyone! I started my exercise dance routine again 3 days ago. Starting out slowly as I stopped when my husband passed away. Just had no ambition then. I first stretch and have 3 songs I dance to for legs and hips. Rock Your Baby, The Hustle and More, More, More. Working my way up to Earth, Wind & Fire

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Happy real day ten! Keep on grooving!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Storage Smoke and Mirrors: Designing for Life’s Little Messes
Now you see it, now you don’t. These 6 tricks will help make clutter disappear
Full Story
Color Pick-a-Paint Help: How to Quit Procrastinating on Color Choice
If you're up to your ears in paint chips but no further to pinning down a hue, our new 3-part series is for you
Full Story
Life A Caregiver’s Guide to a Supportive Home
A daughter who’s been there shares 9 tips on tailoring a home for a loved one with dementia
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever