Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_323176528

Should we keep three windows on this wall? Or add another?

HU-323176528
13 days ago

I am worried there is too much empty space on either side of the windows? Should we add another window or will that look cramped?

Comments (20)

• Sigrid
    13 days ago

It looks fine and, anyway, you should adjust your kitchen cabinets to you kitchen, not adjust the exterior of your building to the kitchen cabinets. Frankly, a bit of bare space is good. When every inch is cluttered up with "interest", the result is often clutter, not an attractive look.

HU-323176528 thanked Sigrid
  • HU-323176528
    Original Author
    13 days ago

We're building an addition so we can add a window now if needed

• M. Juza
    13 days ago

It looks beautiful as is!

HU-323176528 thanked M. Juza
  • debrak6
    13 days ago

The three windows shown look perfect; it's a nice balance of space. In addition, if you did four you would have the division between windows right in the middle of your sink so you'd be looking at that instead of out a window.

HU-323176528 thanked debrak6
  • mcarroll16
    13 days ago

It's beautiful. And kitchens have a lot of things going on. Some blank space is a good thing.

HU-323176528 thanked mcarroll16
  • millworkman
    13 days ago

What does it look ike on the exterior?

HU-323176528 thanked millworkman
  • houssaon
    13 days ago

I like it too. There is an opportunity for a small piece of framed art on either side to enhance the space.

HU-323176528 thanked houssaon
  • chispa
    13 days ago

You can also make the center window a fixed picture window and larger than the outside casement windows, so you still keep the look of 3 windows.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

I'd think long and hard before using any inoperable windows. I've had them in the past and they are impractical from the point that they let heat in, but not out. No ventilation kind of defeats the purpose of a window.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

Three looks balanced, pleasing, and nicely lined up with the sink. Whether it is too much space on the sides of the windows, we'd need to see drawings of the entire space to determine. It is a question of how much negative and positive space is in the whole room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Leave it alone. Show the whole house plan if you feel brave and include the entire kitchen plan if yet more courageous.

Nothing lives in isolation, and not even those windows.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I like odd numbers often and in this case for sure but those base cabinets need to be drawers in fact all base cabinets if possible should be drawers and not pullouts behind dors just real drawers. I do agree at lest one operable one would be nice., it also depends on the exterio look. Not sure how a kitcehn design can be done while you are still figuring out windows , so seeing the kitchen plan might be a good idea. Post it her ein a comment in jpeg format and you will get dome good advice about that too. DO NMOT start another post

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Your arrangement seems to work pretty well. Having just a narrow strip of wall adjacent to windows doesn't seem to work as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Advice gets diluted and credibility is questioned, if you don't edit.

"Post it her ein a comment in jpeg format and you will get dome good advice about that too. DO NMOT start another post"

Start another comment after you read, catch the errors, delete and rewrite, or edit in the fixes: ) Please. Pretty please.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Cabinetry that sits on counter tops needs that wall space/separation for the kitchen to breathe a bit. Show the whole plan?

• chispa
    12 days ago

Most triple window setups have a fixed window in the middle with the operable windows on the outside. Don't see how that is going to let heat in and not let any ventilation in the room. Heat gain is a function of the glass used and you'll get plenty of ventilation by opening the 2 end windows!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

I understand what you're saying chispa, but I'd rather have three operable windows. Actually what the OP is showing is exactly the setup in my kitchen, except that my d/w and trash are reversed. I find it both very attractive and functional. I love being able to open the center window while I'm at the sink.

I would leave it as is, as long as the rest of the kitchen is functional.

• HU-910663146
    4 days ago

My kitchen sink wall has 4 windows. They don't look cramped at all even though they essentially stretch across the entire section of wall there like your design. More light is better.

• MizLizzie
    4 days ago

Don’t touch it Your design is airy and perfect.