Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkeowct

Transition strips at a three way

Nicki Keomany
13 days ago

This is what lowes did when they installed the carpet at my mothers house. its a terrible job but it happened moths ago so i cant call and make them redo it. I need some advice

on how to make this look better. its a weird spot where three floors meet. HELP!

Comments (12)

• KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

My gosh! I suppose there’s no changing the situation of 3 different floorings or you’d be doing that. My only idea is to change them to strips matching the 2 woods up against the carpet side.Leave enough space between the 2 strips for the end of the strip that will be at right angle for the wood to wood strip. This will at least get rid of the overlapping bump. . For the wood to wood maybe use the lighter color wood. Not sure what damage is there from nails / screws through the metal strips.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    13 days ago

Zoom out , let's see what we are dealing with.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

What exactly did they install? Just the carpet? Or the light wood AND the carpet? Why the metal between the two woods? who put THAT there?

Who let three months go by.........with no pic from mom as I assume you are in a miles and miles away situation?

• jackowskib
    13 days ago

Yikes, wow that has got to go! I would have it all pulled up so you can see what you're contending with and then go shop at reputable flooring supply shops to get the right transition pieces.

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

I'd call and send pics so they see what a mess they've made - months ago or not.

Maybe even go to the store with the pics to show flooring person so they can call the company they contract with.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago

At the very least, the carpet transition should have been a tap-down strip, or maybe a rubber strip because of the uneven transition:

And the hard surface to hard surface strip should have been wood or laminate matching one or other of the surfaces

• kculbers
    12 days ago

I had Pergo wood look laminate flooring in my kitchen installed years ago that is in fantastic shape. They no longer make the same colored Pergo flooring that I have. So when I changed my dark slate hallway flooring (that intersects the kitchen flooring) I chose Italian porcelain wood look flooring that had the same coloring as my Pergo flooring. My carpenter made a wood transition piece that intersects the 2 floorings. I am happy with the result.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    12 days ago

Transitions should be at the end of a pathway, not the middle of a passage or room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The real answer is what nobody wants to hear. One flooring to a living floor.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago

The real, real answer is that sometimes budget rules out the best solution, because changing three different flooring materials to one, costs a lot more than the flooring, when you come down to it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

Carpeting next to wood flooring should have a concealed tack attachment that properly ends the carpet. A good carpet installer knows how to do this.

• Tish
    12 days ago

You can see that there is 3 different subfloor heights that is creating an issue. This was likely a ”let’s remove these walls” situation that created the Cause, and the ugly trip strips is the Effect.