Let's play a game of name that gadget

rob333 (zone 7b)

I was desperate to find a particular snack my child likes, since they'll be here in two more days. I'd already been to three other stores, so I gave up and went to Walmart. Apparently it's the grand reopening. They asked me if I wanted a bag and I said no thank you, and she said take it anyway 🙄 This was in there. It's about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches across. One side is sticky. It's sort of opens up?

You stick it on your cabinet and you hang a dishcloth on it? You stick it to your dash and your sunglasses hang off of it? My sister says it's supposed to be like a popsocket for your phone. I think it would be super uncomfortable as a popsocket type of doohickey; with it open, the middle part is too wide to work that way.

Ready, go! You name that gadget.

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moosemac

Pop socket. It goes on the back of your cell phone. It makes it easier to hold the phone while texting or typing with you thumbs. My adult children have them on their cell phones.

Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
rob333 (zone 7b)

It's too unwieldy to work that way moosemac. But maybe it's just poorly made!

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Not sure about the sticky part but is it used to carry several handled plastic bags at once?

woodrose

I think you're right, it's to hang something on. The problem is figuring out what is supposed to hang on it.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

So a utility hook?

I was going to say pop socket knockoff too - and they're used as a phone stand too, BTW.

beesneeds

Yeah, it's a phone doodad. Just a crappy one. Like many other crappy doodads used as logo promos to make folks feel like they got something.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
petalique

Maybe hang your WM plastic shoppers on it?

I lightened the image..

It looks as though there are hinges..

Hang dish towels over it so thatyou won’t hang them on your stove front. (nod to Lars.)

II lightened up the image.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
rob333 (zone 7b)

Must be monitors petalique, yours looks washed out on mine. ;)

I know! you put it on your dash to hold a crack pipe. Attach it to a belt to wrap your dog's leash around and keep them close. Put it on your bathroom mirror and hang toothbrushes in it...

2 Likes Save    
maddielee

A popular giveaway at many conferences, conventions or meetings where companies hand out ’stuff’. Logos on pens, paper pads and phone accessories.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
foodonastump

“A popular giveaway at many conferences,”

And I find that sort of thing SO infuriating! We’re not going to get around having lots of plastic in our lives, but to hand out garbage like this that’s destined for the landfill before it’s even manufactured is inexcusable to me, and I resent businesses and institutions that enable this wastefulness. You want to give away promotional items then fine, spend a buck on something that mighat actually get used. This:

Not this:

#stepsoffsoapbox#

3 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
lily316

If it IS for attaching to a smartphone as a handle, I'd be darn if I'd cheapen up my expensive iPhone with a Walmart logo.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
Elmer J Fudd

Companies will always produce and distribute little pieces of with I consider to be instant trash with their logo or other brand reminders on it.

My feeling about that and similar free SWAG junk (that my wife sometimes struggles with herself) is that for me, no item is worth more than what I've paid for it. No one has ever offered me a free something that I coincidentally had previously decided I wanted and simply haven't gotten around to getting yet.

If anyone out there wants a similarly shaped phone holding device, they make nice ones. Or, there are nice wallets that can offer impact protection as well as a sure grip for holding.

The situation presented resolves itself immediately for me - "It's free, take it". To which I will always respond "No thanks".

rob333 (zone 7b)

That's exactly what I said!

Except... and this is the crazy part... my sister and I met each other at the same spot. Admittedly, she doesn't live too far from here, but it was most unusual. We were chatting away because kiddo is coming home and she's coming to lunch on the Thursday. And my sister seemed excited about the stuff. Maybe she's just ultra kind? Either way, I decided I would give her all my stuff whenever she comes to visit for lunch (everybody's coming for Mother's Day lunch!).

I don't get the excitement. I'm with food and elmer on this one, no thank you to the extra plastic, but there must be some kind of market, because they keep giving this stuff away.

I was kind of hoping for people to come up with humorous ways to use this weird gadget. I really don't think it would work as a phone thingy, and agree with Lily that I would never use it on my phone, but there must be some kind of market? People like the giveaways. ((shrug))

Save    
chisue

Landfill comes in so many forms...at least this is small.

1 Like Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
Elmer J Fudd

My "no thank you" applies to giveaway items made of any material, not just plastic. And is said over my shoulder as I walk away.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7b)

You didn't need to clarify. I don't need any extra stuff. Relax dude

Save    
rob333 (zone 7b)

I don't need any extra stuff, I meant that. Relax dude

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

If someone has young kids, that kind of stuff can be appreciated.

foodonastump

That’s hardly justification for handing it out though. As Chisue said, thankfully this is small. And I know that even promotional water bottles are a drop in the bucket compared to our bottled water crisis, but if we are to believe that "every bit counts" then starting by eliminating the literal junk would seem like low hanging fruit.

1 Like Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7b)
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Our culture is drowning in plastic - literally - it's even in our bodies now.

rob333 (zone 7b)

You hang it in your kitchen, and it holds plastic bags where you throw water bottles and milk jugs...

Save    
foodonastump

You wear it as a ring and catch stink bugs with the sticky part.

(Anyone else innundated this year?)

rob333 (zone 7b)

Every year!

But I like it. Maybe it's a cicada ring?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Coffee With an Architect Let's Play: Design! The Board Game
Gather some friends and print out these pages for old-fashioned design-friendly fun
Full Story
More Rooms 7 Tips to Put Your Attic in Play as a Game Room
Got game? You will when you take your attic off the bench and turn it into an active room for the entire family
Full Story
Kitchen Design Play the Trading Game With Kitchen Storage and Views
Cabinets have their place, of course, but just imagine handling kitchen tasks with a glorious panorama for company
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever