Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_strathmann

Last minute decision on window location. Please help!

Katie S
15 days ago

We are doing a bump out/addition and kitchen renovation after a leak destroyed our kitchen last june

They are framing Monday and I had a very last minute need for more light so we are set on adding a window on side of the bump out and we are just going to cross our fingers no basketballs hit it, haha

Because its last minute and they are starting framing, I need to tell them exact placement tomorrow or sat.

In the first attachment, I like that we can avoid a corner upper, but I don’t like that the direct view is a straight on of our basketball court. More of an issue is that it throws off the range and cabinetry around the range seems off balance.

In the second picture, its moved over to allow for a direct tree view, more importantly more symmetry around the range, but my husband thinks its out of place there and I actually sort of liked that the other option had no corner upper.

Everything else between the first two are the same.

I am considering moving the triple window to the right a bit so the dishwasher opens in the aisle.

I also attached the very tentative plan from our contractor which has the double oven on the short wall but we decided we don’t like it there and plan to swap it with a less deep pantry which allows us to extend the island and have seating on one side as needed.

Obviously i hand drew these, but i traces his set of plans which are drawn to scale.

Thank you soooo much!!

Comments (16)

• kodiac23
    14 days ago

Agree with the above, suggestion, window placement. Also IMO, corner cabinets are very dated, so I would skip the corner cabinet. Best of luck!!

Katie S thanked kodiac23
  • Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@rebunky thanks! We can’t change the size of the window since it was already ordered but i suppose we could increase the trim?

As far as the DW, I did like the idea of it being on that side for proximity to cabinets for unloading but you make a good point. I was thinking about moving the sink to the right to at least have it open so it wasnt as close to island but didnt think about prep. hmmm.

We havent ordered the prep sink yet and I’m not sure why I made a circle becasue we were definitely looking at a square. I’ll look at rhe rectangular ones and I like your idea about moving in a bit for some landing space. I dont want it centered, but perhaps have the trash bin first followed by sink? I fought hard for a prep sink, husband thinks it’s not needed, but given this layout, what do you think? Thank you!!

• Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@kodiac23 Thanks! yes i was hoping to avoid. Maybe I can still have the window a little closer to range, but still avoid corner upper? I think we will have plenty of cabinet space?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I sort of don't love a few things?

Ideally? Depending how you use porch? Far left where you have appliance pantry would be best for fridge. That said? At least reverse with ovens. Where is the microwave? I'd not bother with the window depending north, south east? What? You don't have any drawing fully dimensioned .........why is wall staying at family room? load bearing? Check all the clearances, note and come back. Please move the D.W to other side of sink.

Katie S thanked JAN MOYER
  • Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@jan moyer For some reason I can’t tag you.

The wall is actually a half wall with a column at the far end and its load bearing and is currently out of budget.

I need to think on fridge. I can see the benefit of having it there due to entertaining and having meals on porch. I wish we could afford panel ready, as one reason I didnt want it there was because it would be the first thing you see from the hall way entering the kitchen. Also, seems so far from island and prep area?

Def will move DW. my husband will be happy about that he wanted it on left all along . I thought it would be nice to have near cabinets for dishes ans also out of line of sight from entrance. Also liked trash bins closer to table and porch.

window- we are north facing, so adding the side window will bring in quite a bit of light .

Thanks!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

You really need every.single. dimension......of everything on the kitchen plan.

: ) wall, window, door, island length, depth, clearances, the works.!!!

• Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

We do on another plan which has our initial cabinet layout. This one was just for permitting. I found other one hard to read and since I was primarily asking about the window in relation to eveything else, I uploaded the one for permitting.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• chispa
    14 days ago

You can always order a window with impact/hurricane rated glass and your basketball players would need to throw the balls at over 140 miles/hour!

• rebunky
    14 days ago

Would something like this work?

Since you did not like seeing the fridge from the entry, I kept it on the same wall but traded places with the oven as Jan suggested. It needed to have a closer landing zone. Now you have the adjacent counter and the island landing is closer.

I moved the DW. I put a large dish drawer to the left. Dishes go in the 2 larger bottom drawers and silverware in smaller top drawer. Glasses above. So now the clean up zone is no longer in the prep zone between the sink and range.

The uppers I made all 30”. If you wanted smaller uppers next to the range hood, you can do that if you prefer. I figured you had the wall space, so why not use it?

Please do not think that the range must be centered to the island. In my opinion, it would bother me if it was not centered on the wall between the fridge and the window.

I got rid of the the one stool on the side of the island and made the island a little longer. I would not have seating in that busy isle coming in from garage. I kept the pantries there but made them shallow so that isle was not too tight. Actually shallow pantries work great because you can see everything and nothing gets buried.

I added trash pullouts by both sinks.

The dining space may be a little tight but I think it ends up somewhere around 9.5’. I am terrible at math, so you would have to put it on graph paper. I see you did a bench against the wall, that helps.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Great plan from @ Rebunky

I'd cut that island length to 96 and make the pantries 15/ or 18" deep.

I agree stuff gets buried when too deep.........but I have 18 and nothing gets buried. Tall in back is pretty easy.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 days ago

I was going to say what Rebunky drew. Tableware goes to the left of the window with easy access to the DW and the table. Easy for kids to head straight to the DW with their plates after eating.

Window allows one to see the bball court if you need to referee also!

Katie S thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Katie S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@rebunky Wow I love everything you have suggested! This may be the first layout I felt really excited about.

As far as the stool goes , we actually hoped to store it on long side but keep it open so we had rhe option of having someone pull a seat around and have better set up for socializing but on a daily basis they would stay on long side.

For dining table, that was a concern of mine too, but it is a bench and our youngest 2 will easily fit back in there. It was an awkward amount of space to not have a table there, and with our living room being small it does allow for people to sit there and view the TV, etc. Really wish we could remove the half wall but the addition is already put us well over budget.

They finished framing today so its getting real! Thank you SO much for taking the time to reapond and make that layout !

• marylut
    14 days ago

Before finalizing the island size, check what size your countertop slab comes in, especially if you don’t want a seam to spoil lines of veining.

• rebunky
    14 days ago

Hey, it’s the famous basketball hoop! Do I see one of the BB players peeking out of the door? Too cute! 🥰

I shortened the island and made the pantries 15” deep per Jan’s advice. I would not go any deeper on the pantry because if you move the stool to the side of the island on occation, it might be a little tight when opening the pantry doors. Maybe mock it up with blue tape and see how the isle space feels with a chair there.

Notice that I made the side overhang on the island only 12”, since the chair will not be there all the time. I made the long side have a 15” overhang since it is more comfortable. But, if the dining table feels tight, it could be 12” as well.

I also put the trash on the other side of the prep sink since you said you did not want the sink in the middle.

The average size of a stone slab, IIRC, is usually around 9.5’. So your 8’ island will not be an issue as far as needing a seam.

I played with a few base cabinets. It depends on what you want to store and where, so you can configure it however you like. The lowers do not need to be symmetrical since the island blocks it for the most part. I used to be crazy when it came to symmetry. An inch off would be a catastrophic event! 😂 I have gotten way better over the years, but I still like it around the stove if possible. Mainly it is only the uppers that must have symmetry for me. Especially around windows and the range hood. 😬🤭

Keep us posted on the progress!

Here‘s an example of the Spice Drawer. I have mine in the top drawer of a 36” DB and I love it!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath