Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleen_oneill73

Update exterior and add landscaping

Coll
15 days ago

I’m looking for suggestion to improve the look of the house. It’s a west facing house located one mile from the beach. We get a mix of sun and fog but our summers are mostly foggy.
I’m currently awaiting permit approval to remove the concrete within the peach borders to add a garden. Trees will be put in where the two peach squares are along the sidewalk, I’m thinking California lilac “dark star” (pictured).

I plan on replacing the thing (don’t know the correct term 😆) above the garage door and power washing the sidewalk, especially after looking at these photos 🫢)

The house next to me is bright purple and the house behind me is now blue.

I love the look of a creamy white with natural wood but I’m not sure if I can make it work. I’ve also been looking in the peach family. Along with others… I’ll post my samples.

Comments (12)

• Coll
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Here are a bunch of paint samples, the large blue portion with white siding is the house behind me. Backyard is the next project.
    Should I paint the house before or after landscaping?
    Thanks in advance!

• dan1888
    15 days ago

That neighbor's blue is a cool color without a yellow undertone. Your small blue samples are warm blue. They don't go together, imo. I don't like your neighbor's blue.

• floraluk2
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Just a note about the Ceanothus. They are shrubs really and to make one into a tree will require some pruning and training. And it will still not be much more than 8' tall. There will not be enough clear height to avoid poking people in the face when they walk past your house. Look how broad the tops are in your pictures. But you could train one against the house wall. This one's near me. Note how low it grows over the sidewalk.

• Coll
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Floraluk2, it’s soooo pretty!!! I’ve seen it as a sidewalk tree in other parts of the city. I’m prepared to train and prune, plus I can’t have anything too tall- don’t want to block the neighbors ocean view.

Do you have other colorful tree/shrub suggestions?

• floraluk2
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

They are certainly very pretty. But I'd still be worried about poking passers by. Or doesn't anyone walk in your neighbourhood? I don't drive and I find overhanging shrubbery infuriating ... and I have good eyesight. It's a nightmare for people who don't. I would put them in your front garden, not in the sidewalk. For people to give alternative suggestions they need to know your geographical location.

• Coll
    Original Author
    14 days ago

USDA hardiness zone 10, sunset zone 17.
    California coast. Milder climate. High winds at times.

There’s plenty of foot traffic in my neighborhood and I’m pretty considerate. My goal is to have something beautiful for everyone to enjoy rather than be an inconvenience so I’m open to other options. I was also looking at the Tibouchina (princess flower).

• Coll
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Simplynatural, wow, what a difference! One little feature you added that I really love is the nook for the compost bin! I also love how the taller trees really bring the eye up. I’m not a huge fan of cypress but I’m sure I can find something else. Thank you for sharing your vision!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    14 days ago

Some option for landscape

• PRO
  • Coll
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Celery, love the addition of the walking path and pops of color! Thank you for your ideas! The second house definitely looks like it’s from my neighborhood. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    13 days ago

Check out Huntington Dr San Francisco, California on google map. You would find a lot of your style home exteriors.