Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demarco_lockhart15

floating Shelves in kitchen remodel?

Demarco L
16 days ago

Debating if we should add floating shelves to open the kitchen a bit… but the lengths on both sides of windows are completely different, what do folks think? I have pictures of both sides of galley kitchen and examples of countertops and tiles for backsplash that we will replace current with . Open to thoughts on any ideas.

Comments (9)

• Sara D
    16 days ago

I like the idea of opening the kitchen up by removing some of the uppers if you can do with a little less storage. If you do floating shelves, maybe you could take the ones on the left of the sink around the corner so the shelf on that side is longer, makes a 90 degree corner and ends on the adjacent wall. That might help make the two different lengths less of an issue because you're changing the entire look on one side of the window. Just a thought! Others may have better ideas.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    16 days ago

If you truly don’t need the storage and you don’t mind things getting dusty or possibly greasy, and if you’re able to keep it organized, remove a couple top cabinets. I actually don’t like shelves like you want, for those reasons. It’s a trend that is nearing its end, IMO. I think you need all those uppers to have a fully functioning kitchen. You have a very nice, clean and tidy space. Don’t go chasing a dying trend.

• btydrvn
    16 days ago

I agree.. and also think open shelves will definitely reduce much needed storage in a kitchen this size

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

What would you put on them? Unless you have a 'just have to show off' collection of some sort..what is the upside of open shelving? The look might give an over all lighter feel with no cabinet but function ought to lead, so how will you use them?

• herbflavor
    15 days ago

if you are redoing counters I would replace the lowers w sets of stacked drawers..looks like a 36 inch/ a 21 inch / and an 18 inch are about your sizes. storage obtained would allow reducing one of the uppers and that is a possibility. Kitchen this size would handle ikea easily .....no corners// improved and efficient storage/ good looking options/ low cost. I absolutely would not put new counters on this small kitchen while leaving hinged lowers.

• Jennz9b
    15 days ago

I would not do floating shelves. especially in a kitchen of this size. they are impractical as stated above. this is not a trend that will age well.

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    15 days ago

To clarify it would be two shelves on both sides of the window. Looking to put dishes, nice storage, and other decor. We are changing the base cabinets to be a little more functional in new design

• la_la Girl
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I lived with open shelves for everyday dishes in a cottage kitchen years ago - i rinsed everything before I used it (these were dishes/glasses that i used everyday so not like they sat there unused) - and then about every 2-3 weeks everything came off and was washed and the shelves were wiped down. they can look terrific (super trendy now of course) but woah i found them tedious.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

Function is best as it is. I totally agree with lala as to the PITA with open shelving in kitchens for sure . May some glass doors on those cabinets for a bit lighter look. If true functionality is what you are going for you would need a redo for more drawers for sure.