Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Veggie Tales >>> May 2024

vgkg Z-7 Va
17 days ago

Whew it's been rather warm here and things are heating up...Some pics from today to follow, ...what ya got growin' for showin'? :-)

Comments (33)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Cantaloupe seedlings...

Young tomato plants...

Squash seeds popping...

Sweet Potato row...

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Asst Lettuces...had to shade from the intense heat...

Bush Snap Beans...

The 2 cheatin' tomato plants...

Some Carrots & Beets...

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Some early corn....

Blooming Peas.........

....and the Cabbages...I was happy to see a paper wasp inspecting the cabbages today!

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    17 days ago

Is there a limit to how many photos can be in a post?

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    17 days ago

^^^ In the past I couldn't post more than 4-5 pics at a time.

• RD Texas
    16 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Cindy, I usually can only get 3

• RD Texas
    16 days ago

42 day

Potatoes

• RD Texas
    16 days ago

Honeycomb

Tycoon

• RD Texas
    16 days ago

BHN 589

Amelia

• RD Texas
    16 days ago

Celebrity

• RD Texas
    16 days ago

Thai peppers

Wonder & Purple Bell

• beesneeds
    15 days ago

I only got the kitchen tomato in it's container today.... because the power company plant autitor showed up. A couple poles in my back yard are due for replacing.

The four endangering trees needed to be taken down anyway. But now the power company is going to pay for their removal instead of me. Happy dance.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 days ago

Great planting day here. I set out the sweet peppers and planted smallish decorative pumpkin seed, butternut and acorn squash seed and 3 rows of 242 lima beans...plenty for the old man.

• RD Texas
    15 days ago

• klem1
    15 days ago

RD I'm curious why you choose growing that many plants in pots apposed to in-ground and/or raised beds. I ask because I find feeding and watering pots require more time and attention to detail to avoid over/under doing it.

• RD Texas
    14 days ago

Klem, I grow mostly tomato, potato and pepper plants (although I have most everything in containers this year-except squash which doesn't grow well in pots) in containers because I can control exactly how much water and fertilizer each plant receives. I usually get more tomatoes growing in pots versus in the ground. There is more watering involved, but not much more and you don't waste water on things you don't want to grow. I started growing in containers in about 1980 and have used both methods over the years. Growing too many tomato plants for a good rotation system, also has steered me towards containers.

• klem1
    14 days ago

Never thought of it like that,thanks.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    13 days ago

It's raining! And we really need it. Have had over an inch already. It's perfect timing as yesterday I planted sweet corn and Roma bean seeds.

It is chilly out there though. Only 54 degrees.

• beesneeds
    13 days ago

Lovely day. Got the first chunk of the front yard cleared and mown. Garden bed borders weed whacked. Planted in cukes, melons, and some flowers. Gotta work tomorrow, but will get the other chunk of the yard cleared and mowed up on Monday. With all the sun I think we got in about as much for the first mow out that we could. Got a fine crop of dandelions at seed in the lawn that got scattered, I think we might have a good spread year :)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    13 days ago

We needed this rain here too Cindy and last night hit the jackpot with 2 inches. More to come over the week ahead too. I planted corn plot #2 yesterday and will plant out the watermelon transplants once the wet soil becomes workable. The watermelons will be the last piece of the garden jigsaw puzzle to put into place other than more late corn and a few late tomato plants to extend the fall harvest.

• mallory28 - zone 5
    10 days ago

So, I'm slowly getting things planted. This week and next will be the major push. But I've already accomplished one annual event: Falling off my garden stool (a milk crate). The usual "I can reach just a little bit more to the side ..." :)

• RD Texas
    10 days ago

Lost 18 tomatoes to fruit worms so far. Applied neem oil, but will likely have to still harvest tomatoes at first blush.

• RD Texas
    10 days ago

Purple bell peppers in the middle

Thai peppers

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Temp will hit 91F & very humid today so staying inside for the most part. It was reported that April was the hottest worldwide April on record. A cooling trend back to the 70's will take place here starting tomorrow for several days so the lettuces will like that. My broccoli plants have passed their peak production so I composted them yesterday, meanwhile the cabbages are heading up and should be ready in about 2 weeks. The Peas will be pickable by this weekend too. Started thinning out the pears, many are malformed so they had to go but there's plenty of good ones left. More rain/storms expected before dawn tomorrow and later in the afternoon too.

• beesneeds
    9 days ago

I was quite an angry person this morning, and needed some constructive destruction. Two garden beds completely stripped of all weeds and clean. After that I felt much better as I planted in a bunch of borage and peppers. I thinned out the bulb fennel and culled down the bronze fennel. Celery needs it's first cutting, but I wanted to wait till after the rain tomorrow so it's nicely juiced up. The sea kale is in beautiful bloom, and a few other brassicas are almost done blooming and some starting to seed. Snapdragons and dianthus self-sowns are looking plush and starting to bud up for blooms.

I seriously need to weed the kennel beds. The garlic should get fed, the empty greens slots filled... waiting on a container of miners lettuce to finish going to seed for that. Beans are almost ready to get transplanted in.

I also need to get the last wall up on the potato bins so I can put the last leaf pack in. Dang things are growing like crazy in the good weather we have been having. Most of the greenhouse caps are now stored away, got one more to take down and stow. Been leaving the mini-greenhouses up because of all the rain, wanted to keep the little pots from drowning. Now a couple of them are empty, and on to one more before I can finish the summer setup for the container garden.

6 days ago

Busy day for me. I planted the second planting of green beans and the third planting of sweet corn. I moved the dirt around the potatoes and just made a sweet potato ridge...hope to get it set out today.

• beesneeds
    4 days ago

Oh man RD, you making me sad. My tomato is still just a little plant, sigh. I'll have to make do with some greens :)

Been making mulch while the sun shines. Almost didn't catch it in time because of the rain timings. But three beds full mulched down. They didn't get any love last rounds last season, so got the first one this year. Now it's time to weed whack in the shade, enough sun for one morning.

• RD Texas
    3 days ago

The most brutal hailstorm with wind gusts up to 70 mph and 2.5 inches of rain slammed into my backyard. Lost 26 big tomatoes and about 45 cherry tomatoes. A few of them I can still use for fried green tomatoes-some are just shattered-3 plants got beat into the ground- 25-30 have broken tops or limbs. The squash plants are demolished. Still fighting fruit worms which manage to hide from me until a tomato starts to blush. I am going to have some kind of greenhouse next year-even if it is a cheap one

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    3 days ago

So sorry for your hail & wind storm damage RD, we got hit by a brutal hail about 5 years ago but it's amazing just how quickly most plants can recover and re-grow. I just now came in from the garden and overnight we also got 2.5" of rain but thankfully no wind or hail damage. Hope that you see robust plant improvement over the next few days and that your home didn't suffer any damage.

2 days ago

So far I have gotten about ¾ inch of rain. I am glad I didn't get 2½ inches.

• beesneeds
    2 days ago

Oh no RD... that's a good chunk of your garden down. I was sad with envy because your tomatoes looked so yummy. Now I'm sad for your storm damage.

• RD Texas
    2 days ago

Thanks for your sympathy vgkg and beesneeds. I actually feel lucky because the hail was about the size of 2 or 3 golf balls each and some of them just shattered the tomatoes not to mention pounding the house-sounded like someone was on the roof with a jackhammer