Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_hw

floors for natural hickory cabinets?

Kate W
16 days ago

My natural hickory cabinets are in & our designer chose yellow birch hardwood floors. We are not loving that the floors & cabinets match - the natural variation in the cabinets is competing with the floors The flooring will extend into the family room (behind where I stood to take the picture) and the front living room (doorway in the back left in the photo).

What should I be looking at for hardwood floors to not compete with our hickory cabs? Not interested in LVP and engineered doesn't fit our budget. Looking for durability & not show every piece of dirt.

I am in upstate NY, no pets, 3 elementary aged kids that spill/drop/etc, and plan to live here 20+ years. Island is "stormy blue", countertops are river blue dolomite, black hardware, right wall (cooktop exterior wall) will have custom white hood & white picket tile, pocket door cabs will sit on left countertop (piece to be installed), table & chairs to go against the back wall by the windows, walls to be painted off-white.

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

IMO you go either dark or light.... smooth grain generally..... given the large long space Id do the light . good luck.

Id go this route [ but think over the dark I guess] ....then get texture etc with strategically placed mats. Your kitchen is going to be wonderful.

Mullican 155-MU-MA-4-L Muirfield 4"W Smooth Solid Maple Hardwood - Natural · More Info

Maple Wood Flooring, Beach Haven, 24.5 Sq. ft. · More Info

heres something they are calling "antique white hardwood"..specialized finish I guess.. you can exert effort and spend as much as you want to find the one that says the correct thing in your great space..... just depends. ...Im liking light floors lately and this space is so serene yet not cold ...love the take with their neutrals ...not boring. ....

Live Oak · More Info

• PRO
    Minardi
    16 days ago

Just stain the floors dark.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    16 days ago

Stain them to contrast the cabinets but keep the stain color cool and without red or yellow

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

I love your floors and your cabinets but together they are fighting to be the star of the show. I am sorry your designer didn't think this through. I find a contrast is so important with cabinets and floors. It can make or break a space.

Go dark... But as I say this. Is this what you really want?

Do you have an inspiration photo?

When you envisioned your kitchen were you thinking dark or light floors?

I have dark floors and I love them. Some will tell you they show dust but thats not true. They are not any harder to care for than pale floors.

Here are some images of Hickory Cabinets and medium to light wood floors.. Shockingly pretty. Is this what your designer had in mind?

Modern Hickory Kitchen · More Info

Alder cabinets not hickory but similar..The white top adds some contrast but the floors are a light birch or maybe maple

Modern Farmhouse with Natural Alder · More Info

ASC Margaritaville · More Info

Glen Haven Residence · More Info

Contemporary Rustic Knotty Alder Cabinets with Espresso Island--Lee Welden · More Info

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

And here are hickory cabinets with dark floors.. Now you can see what would work for your space.. And what your dream was.

Model home · More Info

Sennett Residence · More Info

Two-Toned Warm Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Natural Beauty · More Info

Jefferson Park Chicago Bungalow Kitchen by Fred M Alsen of fma Interior Design · More Info

• herbflavor
    16 days ago

upstate NY ..there is no reason you cant find numerous samples of various hardwood selections and stains..... Id take the time since you are troubling yourself.....bring in samples. the advantage you have is the kitchen is primarlily finished , so take advantage.

• chispa
    16 days ago

Can you get a "select" version of the flooring, so that there is less color variation between boards? Or buy more of the same flooring and cull the very light boards or the very dark boards, so you end up with a more uniform color.

Your "designer" isn't very good at their job!