Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3024549

Help us pick a kitchen stool.

Designlovr36
17 days ago

We are closing on a new house soon and looking to spruce up the kitchen. Can you help us decide on a kitchen stool? We are considering this swivel stool from CR Laine in some type of leather. 2nd choice is this non-swivel from Moores and Giles that looks beautiful but hard to say if it is as comfortable.

Our tv area is in the room behind the kitchen, so a swivel could be nice. We have never had stools so not sure what to consider.

Comments (8)

• acm
    16 days ago

They both seem pretty similar to what you have. What are you trying to accomplish?

• Elizabeth Ann
    16 days ago

Congratulations on your new home. You are wise to consider the swivel functionality of your new stools, what with the TV behind them. The swiveling stools pictured are attractive. Is the swivel 360 degrees? If so, will it stay put once turned in the opposite direction? Best of luck with your choice.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

Congratulations on your new home.

What I look for when looking for a stool is

1) Weight limit. Can it hold a heavy person? Is it sturdy? We are not big people but I want a guest to feel comfortable so the stool must be able to hold a 280 pound retired football player friend.

2) Style that marries the room.

3) Quality. Durability. Can this stool be knocked about? climbed on by kids? feet rested on by guest ? can it do what I want? Swivel to turn and see the TV and turn back to eat at the counter?

4) Fit. Spacing, Can it fit under the table in a comfortable way? Do my knees bump?

5) Material. I want something that salsa can spill on and still look fabulous a day later. I love leather and find it easy to clean.

Don't rush to buy stools. Start thinking about what you like. Test them out. Buy from a place that will let you return them if you discover they are not what you want. My daughter went through 5 sets of stools before she found the ones she liked the most.

Enjoy your new space

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Yes a swivel is MANDATORY haha !! We have similar to your #1. Ours has a swivel and a well placed bar for your feet to rest--also necessary for comfortable sitting.

• Boxerpal
    15 days ago

@arcy_gw Yes, forgot about the bar for my feet. I am currently at my kitchen counter with my feet resting on the bar... Very good.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

IMO a swivel stool haels to not be dragged across the floor all the time I happen to like colored stools they add bit of fun to a kitchen I do not think arms ever and yes they need to be able to handle a heavy person My hubby wieighs 250 lbs we do not live on our stools but use them every day for breakfast , a snak and often for dinner since we have a TV in the kitchen Ours are 17 yrs old fromDWR still look and function great

• Designlovr36
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Wow, 17 years that’s an amazing testament to quality.