Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmm123

Seeking Color Suggestions: Refreshing My White Brick Home

michaelmm123
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

hi!!

I recently bought a house and I’m at a crossroads about how to proceed with its exterior makeover. The house currently features a whitewashed brick exterior, where the mortar retains a distinct color from the bricks. While I appreciate the unique look, the overall effect can sometimes appear blotchy or dirty.

Additionally, the cedar siding on the house is showing signs of deterioration and will require some patching and painting. I'm contemplating whether to repaint both the brick and the cedar siding or just the cedar. We've recently replaced the front steps, which unfortunately don’t match the rest of the house’s brickwork perfectly.

In a test patch, I used Romabio Avario White on the brick, which ended up covering the mortar, making the house lose its authentic brick appearance. I’m struggling to decide what looks best.

As part of the renovations, I am planning to install a portico. I’m considering designing it with a copper hip roof to add elegance and style. This addition is part of a broader vision to possibly extend the roof at the peak forward, incorporating a ladder-style soffit. Right now the center of the house looks flat while the right wnd left of the center have q latter style sofit in place. There are options to either paint, leave, or cover the upper brickwork, but covering it may mean replacing the aging cedar on the sides as well because finding matching cedar for the center that doesn't have a very different texture becuase it's not as old might turn into a problem. I'm not sure yet.

I'm also thinking about removing the existing shutters to streamline the façade. The current paint has a yellowish tint which can sometimes appear outdated or dirty, particularly since my house faces north and doesn’t receive much sunlight on the front.

Below are some images of the house as it stands, with the new stairs, and some inspiration from other houses featuring hip roofs and ladder-style soffits.

I would greatly appreciate any color suggestions or advice on these exterior changes. What would you do in my situation?

Thank you for your help fellow Houzzers!

additional house pictures (bedore steps redone and after)

Comments (16)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Your inspiration pics did not post. When you take pics of your house, make sure the sun is at your back and shining onto the house, not at the top of the picture.

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Thanks ShadyWillowFarm for the quick comment! There should have been one house with the sun peaking out from the top that you mentioned and another marking up a house that has a portico and latter style sofit overhang on top center of the house. I've now added a couple of more picts of the house. but is north west facing so only gets son on the front ewrly in the day in summer months

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I thought those would add depth to the house which looks flat at front now. do you like this type of sofit that just curves back in? Would love to hear any other input you have in terms of latter style sofit, color, brick etc?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Nice job on steps.

We can give you renderings but I think you might need to go with an architect.

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you so much for your input. However, it’s incredibly challenging to make a larger window when there is brick around it. On top of the window there is a support beam, etc. Also, there is a bedroom in that area, so that would be a huge window for the bedroom.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    11 days ago

Yes, apparently I was posting as your pics were loading! It’s a wonderful house, but the trim on the 2nd floor does not belong. Can you remove the diagonal pieces and the vertical pieces below the windows? I would even do a slightly darker color on the 2nd level.

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Hi! Can you explain further what you mean?

• Richard Shapiro
    10 days ago

The architecture suggests a tutor influence so I would work off that vibe. With that in mind, ditch the colonial shutters and dramatically increase the size of your light fixtures. Consider painting the entire facade Sherwin Williams Origami White and use Sherwin Williams Thunder Gray for the half timber details and windows. I think those colors will harmonize with your new porch and speak to the architecture. The tree to the left of the front door does a great job of masking the uneven first floor windows. The previous Owner's were clever with that placement.

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Thank you for those thoughts! do you think the half timber is to busy on top of the vertical oak planks? Usually tudor houses have a flat surface behind the half timber details. frequently its stucco… the tudor style doesnt speak to me as well, so trying to see if there is another angle I can take. right now the house has a creamish color, was thinking of a grey tint maybe…

• Richard Shapiro
    10 days ago

Frankly I agree with you as the style doesn’t speak to me either. Painting the half timber would take the eye away from the vertical planks and I don’t think it would too busy. However, it would also enhance the look you are not crazy about. I feel like the existing details are dictating the style. If it were my house and I did not want to replace the facade and windows I would embrace the faux tudor look. Add beautiful planters flanking the door and use an eye catching color on the front door. The colors I suggested are a fresh interpretation vs historically accurate so change them as you see fit. It is all about focusing the eye to highlight certain areas and draw attention away from the funky elements.

michaelmm123 thanked Richard Shapiro
  • michaelmm123
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I appreciate your honesty and insight! Would you paint the brick, or just the wooden upperhalf/door?

• Richard Shapiro
    9 days ago

I would paint the upper and lower in the same color to unify them. The weight of the front porch and the painted half timber would play off each other and the light color for the body would bridge the two and unify the look.

Maybe look into a pro or talented friend to mock it up in photoshop. That way you can see it before you spend the big money.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

Are they really half timbers or trim that mimics half timber? Looks like an add-on to me.

• michaelmm123
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Add on