Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_954691394

Fireplace Built-ins Measurement and Window Selection Help

HU-954691394
10 days ago

I am looking to do built ins flanking each side of our fireplace and also looking to do a transom window to add some light. I love the look of floating shelves above built ins but trying to figure out if i have room for it all. See below for picture of our measurements and some inspiration photos. I currently have a 49” x 20” transom window planned but thinking that is too long of a window to also do shelves. I have 9’ ceilings and windows will be placed ~12” from ceiling. For anyone doing a similar look, how much space do you all have between floating shelves? How tall are your lower cabinets? How high up does the forst shelf start? Debating on shrinking my window or scrapping the floating shelves. If I change my window to 49” x 12” is that an awkward shape? Thanks!!!

Comments (19)

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Here is a version drawn our to scale. Do the shelves look too squished? I cant make the window shorter and still have it operable which we would prefer.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    10 days ago

• LH CO/FL
    10 days ago

I would add your climate and the direction this wall faces. It's usually always welcome to add light to a great room, especially with 9' ceilings, but not if it's a west wall in a hot climate.

• anj_p
    10 days ago

If not west facing I would do bigger windows and scrap floating shelves. Maybe do taller cabinets instead. If you really want to display things, you could do shelves like this (note the height of those cabinets is more than 36"):

• HU-121436380
    10 days ago

Things often look better in groups of 3. you‘ll notice both your inspo pics have 3 shelves. Maybe put in three and shorten the windows?

• LH CO/FL
    10 days ago

Also, if you're forced to put the TV over the fireplace, consider that you'll be looking into the windows and won't see the screen if watching during the day.

• chispa
    10 days ago

I rarely like those windows placed high like that ... you usually end up with some type of glare and it isn't pleasant when that is supposed to be your feature wall. Even the 2 example photos you posted show quite a bit of glare!

• lharpie
    9 days ago

I would skip floating shelves and do bigger windows.

• anj_p
    9 days ago

I still like bigger windows, but @chispa has a point, though - consider getting blackout blinds for those windows so you can close them for TV watching. I didn't notice that TV was 80" at first. That's a huge TV for a living room. We just put in an electric fireplace below our 85" TV in our basement and went with a linear fireplace that was only 16" tall in order for it not to push our TV too high. I think the top of the fireplace surround is about 32" off the floor. Are you planning a frame TV there or will you have a soundbar or anything below it? Does any part of the fireplace project in front of the TV? If so, consider the angle of viewing and what might be blocked by the fireplace. Also consider that especially with gas, there will be an issue with heat if you don't block it somehow, either with a mantel or having the TV recessed behind the fireplace.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks for thr feedback! Yes, this wall is wedt facing. The adjacent wall with all the other family room windows is north facing which is why we liked the idea of adding these windows to the west wall as we were worried we would not get good light coming in with only the north exposure.

Good point on the groups of 3. I cant understand how they fit 3 shelves in those photos though because anything less than 12 inches between shelves seems so tight. Even if that window is 12 inches long it would be tight.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Anj_p - Im hoping for a frame TV and yes probably a sound bar. We havent designer the fireplace yet but it is wood burning and I’m going to try to get the firebox and mantle as low as possible to accomodate the TV. I know TVs above a fireplace is not the best design choice but its the most practicle and wanted a bigger TV as we enjoy it and wanted it visible from the kitchen that sits directly behind the family room

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    9 days ago

And to answer the question on climate, we are in the midwest so we definitely welcome any sunshine warmth.

Heres another sketch with 42” cabinets and no floating shelves. Not sure if this higher cabinet height will look odd? But thinking this looks cleaner than the floating shelves even though i love the shelf look.

• chicagoans
    9 days ago

If you're planning to put a Frame TV above your fireplace, be sure to plan for the One Connect box that goes with a Samsung Frame TV in addition to your cable box. For example, a chase to run wiring from the TV to a spot in one of the cabinets, or enough of a recess behind where the TV will go to accommodate the TV box, outlets, cable box, etc.

• LH CO/FL
    9 days ago

And make sure to leave room for a soundbar. In a room that size, the built-in TV speakers would be horrible. Or put small bookshelf speakers on each cabinet on the side, but allow for the wire runs.

• anj_p
    9 days ago

Also know that the cable connection for the one connect box is 5 meters. That proved to be too short for the tech tube we had installed - our setup is very similar to your inspo minus the windows, and our tech tube runs to the adjacent cabinet. We had to buy a 10 meter cable, which was expensive.

Frame TVs are kind of ruined by sound bars IMO, so think about how you want to handle that as well. We have ours off on the cabinet flanking our fireplace, which isn't ideal but works fine. (Our frame is only 55" and our living room TV is not our main TV room so it works for us, but it might not work for you if you plan on using this space as your main TV space).

Your plans indicate a gas fireplace, not wood burning. Wood burning fireplaces have different venting requirements. I'm sure you are aware but just want to make sure you've communicated that change to your architect/draftsman/builder.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 days ago

What does the person that designed the house say?

• PRO
    Minardi
    8 days ago

This needs a full section detail with elevation and floor plan details indicating the location and size of every single item, or it will go sideways quickly.

• chispa
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Here is my 75" Samsung Frame TV from 2022. Do they even make an 80"?

I also added an aftermarket picture frame, which adds a few inches in all directions.

We have an even larger TV in a media/bonus room, so I wanted this one to look less TV-like. No sound bar on this one and we just use the built-in speakers. My DH does complain about the picture quality once in a while, but I tell him to go watch the bigger TV, with higher quality picture, that he picked out for the other room!