Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tclime

What windows Suggest

tclime
10 days ago

Hi, we are replacing all of our windows. This front window is currently a picture window. It is about 58 in width and 56 in height. Based on the style of house. What do you prefer from the choices below? I'd like to change it to a window that opens but afraid it might takeaway from the charm. House was built in 1955. We are in Philadelphia area and all the houses on street are different styles.

Also what would you pick for upstairs window that is currently six on top and plane on bottom? The picture window is in the living room and there are two side windows in the living room. You can see one of them in the second picture. What would you do with those windows?

1. Twin double hung (they'd be about 24 width by 56 height). If so how would you design the grid?

2. Two casement windows (samething about 24 widthd and 56 height). If so, how would you design the grid?

3. Keep as non-opening picture window?

4. Black windows outside and white inside? Or stick with white outside and inside? We plan to change the shutters, door and garage to black. Of course, the moon window will also need to be black if we change the windows to black.

Comments (4)

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

I would keep the front window as it is. A picture window. Can you open the two side windows in the living room for air flow, instead? I would keep the fenestration the same. 6 over one. And the same for the picture window. NO to black windows outside. Yes to black shutters. I am concerned about what appears to be bowing in the siding on your front gable. Is it just an optical illusion? If not, sort that out. I think your lovely home could do with white paint on the front gable. The color you have, beige?, looks peachy in contrast to the white trim. Lovely stonework!

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

No casement windows and no black windows. Garage door should be trim color or siding color, not shutter color. I don't think you need shutters at all. To me they look like they're not original. The trim around the second floor window looks gray. Is that just a trick of the lighting? The front door could be green, black or red and the storm door edges should match the door. The bushes need to be cut back so they're not taller than the bottom edge of the window. It is a lovely house. I live in the same area and I love the local stone.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

Cut back the shrubs. Not sure they will survive the severe cutting they require.

I would change your house color scheme to this. It's more sophisticated IMO.

• wdccruise
    10 days ago

Casement windows are the best; most energy efficient -- no meeting rail -- and able to catch the wind! It's sad to have to sit behind an inoperable window -- as in an office building -- as a pleasant, cooling wind blows outside. Marvin two-wide fiberglass casement windows (for example) are available up to 6' x 6' so you could replace the old picture window with them. You can included "divided lites" (aka grids) as Marvin calls them in casements as described in the product specifications. I'd replace the other windows with casements too.

Looking through houzz photos of houses with stone fronts, most have light colored windows so you might choose those. Maybe trim the hedge to improve the view. And remove the shutters; the ones on the first floor are puny compared with the size of the window and those on the second floor are a bit odd as they're wider than the gable.

I like the red door on this house:

Ridgeview · More Info

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths