Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah_vestal

Making base cabinets fit

Leah Vestal
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

Hi,

I have a dilemma. In order to use the 36" corner cabinets pictured here along this back wall, I need to gain .75 inches along this wall to fit my range. If I went to smaller corner cabinets, I would have unsightly fillers. Since standard cabinets increase by 3", there's really not a good solution.

Would it be feasible to modify the drywall on the left and right to fit each of these 36" corner cabinets?

Or would it be better to go with 33" corner cabinets and then have about 2.75 fillers to deal with? Perhaps make an overlay to match the edging of the door? The overlays would be about 2.75 inches each.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 days ago

What kind of cabinets are you working with? How handy are you?

Leah Vestal thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

You realize you will be tripping over an open dishwasher door with the placement of dw as is if you need the sink ( from the stove ), and another is loading, emptying the DW??

Why not show the kitchen plan in 2 d with all the wall and cabinetry feet and inches, and in entirety?

Make ONE 30" drawer base 27 " use a little not unsightly filler both sides, as it is common in semi custom kitchens. You're hung up on symmetry that will not even be noticed. But.....I would reconsider the DW locale

• Leah Vestal
    Original Author
    10 days ago

My current sink and dishwasher are in this current location and it works fine. We are not changing where plumbing is. Also, I want symmetry on that range wall because the hood vent above range will be a focal point. So symmetry is necessary. Are you suggesting that I have a larger filler and create an overlay that is larger since the smaller overlay will look strange?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

You will not notice 3 inches on a 162" wall Nor 27 inch drawer base separated by a range and a 30" to one side. .....and you are only showing lower boxes, not what brand, style etc.

Hard to advise another solution. .....other than a 27 inch cook top and another drawer base below. Oven elsewhere.

• Leah Vestal
    Original Author
    10 days ago

they are full overlay cabinets. They are thomasville all plywood boxes, maple/mdf doors. It's actually 2 - 2.75" fillers on either side of the drawer bases.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

No matter how you do it, there will be filler or a range does not fit.

Reduce the lazy susan corners.....they aren't a focal point

• mainenell
    10 days ago

I believe Thomasville cabinets can be modified in width. Check with your designer. It’s been a while since I worked in Thomasville, but when I left they had just changed their cabinet tiers so that if you were buying in the lower tiers and wanted something only available in a higher tier product you could purchase that one cabinet in the higher tier. Which you might need to do for the modified width cabinet.

I would move the dishwasher to the left of the sink. Your existing plumbing should be able to accommodate that change with little difficulty. It would add 1 1/2” to length for the dishwasher end panel.

• PRO
    Zumi
    10 days ago

Get a better kitchen designer is how. Get OUT of the box stores and find a dealer with Kemper, Diamond or Schrock. It’s all the same line, but with designers who know what they are doing. And cheaper prices.

• PRO
    Minardi
    10 days ago

Why are you thinking of modifying drywall to fit in a poor design? This makes no sense. And it's just another data point as to why people should avoid box stores.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    10 days ago

Go with a cabinet line that offers modified (custom) widths. Shiloh does....their semi-custom, frameless and builder grade Aspect all do.

• Oliver's Mom
    10 days ago

Go with an asymmetrical cabinet. CB3336. It gives you 36" on one side and 33" on the other. The cabinet is also a lot easier to get into than a 33".