Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jankig

Lighting help for powder bath

Janki Makecha
12 days ago

Hi! I am updating our tiny powder bath and have everything selected but the lighting. I am really struggling - I wanted 2 sconces on the side walls, but there's only 6 inches on each side of the mirror - I haven't found any that don't look crowded. Would love help with sconces that would work, or vanity lighting. There is a flush chandelier in the bathroom already, could also just change that fixture to a lower one if that makes the most sense. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• acm
    12 days ago

Could you hang the lights on either side wall, rather than trying to squeeze them onto the front wall with little clearance? Coud use something flush to the wall, or lots ofp ossibilities.

Janki Makecha thanked acm
  • Janki Makecha
    Original Author
    12 days ago

that was my plan - but i haven't been able to find sconces that are small enough that they don't overlap the mirror (just 6 inches btwn the mirror and the wall edge)

• jackowskib
    12 days ago

What is the width of the space? Should be okay if lights border edge of mirror but more importantly they're in keeping with space needed to occupy sink area adequately.

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

If the room is tiny then overhead lighting should be sufficient and you could go with a tiny chandelier instead, or a single sconce centered over the mirror. I have done both in powder rooms where I found that sconces that were skinny enough to technically fit next to my mirror didn't allow enough room to remove the shade or glass cover for changing the light bulb.

Do you have any inspiration pics of the style sconce you would like? Your sink, mirror, and wallpaper could go in so many different directions.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

Hoe do we know ? Post a pic of the actual room that is how you get help.

Janki Makecha thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Janki Makecha
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Adding pictures! The wall is 36 inches, the sink is 30 and the mirror is 23. I am also attaching a pic of the sconces I loved that wouldn't work. As far as style, I love whimsical, anthropologie is a vibe I love, definitely fun. I also included a pic of the existing light fixture. The bathroom right now has that plus a vanity. I do like the existing chandelier, but I think if it's the only light I need something that comes down?

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Take out the far right bulb on the current fixture. Put a bright bulb in the center of your current fixture and decided if that is bright enough for you. If so, I'd get just one sconce of the fixture you love and hang it above the mirror. Be sure to consider how far down the sconce would hang in comparison to your current fixture. Your mirror has enough interest that it would be nice to have a gap between the light and the top of the mirror. Perhaps you'd want to move the J-box higher?

How bright are the bulbs in your current overhead? I'd try to get brighter bulbs. You'll want to see that fantastic wallpaper once it is up.

I also think you could easily get an overhead that hangs lower, has multiple bulbs and skip the sink lighting all together.

Janki Makecha thanked Kendrah
  • acm
    11 days ago

There are flat sconces. These are all on the scale of 4". Hang on a sec.

Vilo 1 Light Wall Light Golden Brass · More Info

George Kovacs P470 1 Light Wall Sconce, Honey Gold · More Info

George Kovacs Tube 3-Light Honey Gold Wall Sconce · More Info

Clear Glass Wall Sconce, Gold · More Info

Minka Lavery 342 1 Light Wall Sconce - Honey Gold · More Info

Janki Makecha thanked acm
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

The mirror comes in two different heights 36 or 48.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Janki Makecha thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

This is the best parts I could find from Pooky to assemble a sconce. Couldn't find a clear glass globe

• PRO
    W86 Trading Co., LLC
    10 days ago

I suggest choosing a compact and appropriately sized vanity light that can be installed above or on both sides of the mirror. This will provide sufficient lighting without taking up too much space. You can also consider vertically positioned wall sconces to maximize space utilization. Professional home lighting offers you more choices.