Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_714678294

What would you do with this table?

Iluvdark kychns
15 days ago

Got this table for free. It has a very thin oak veneer on it that you can see is damaged. The pedestal is in pretty good condition. It won't fit through my door so I left it outside which also didn't help. Should I paint it, stain it, put a tablecloth over it? Looking for any and all ideas. I love the shape of this table and I would have really loved the oak veneer, if it were in pristine condition, I want to figure out a way to keep it. TIA!

Comments (29)

• Kendrah
    15 days ago

If it won't fit through your door, why are you keeping it? Do you intend to use it as outdoor furniture?

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    15 days ago

that's exactly what I've been using it as. It's on my covered back porch and we've been using it for afternoon drinks.

• Kendrah
    15 days ago

Great.. Can you post a pic of your whole porch so we can see what it looks like?

• RedRyder
    14 days ago

It needs to be sanded and polyurethane-d. That will protect it from the elements. Nice table!

Post a photo of the porch too.

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    14 days ago

here are two pics of full porch. To be clear I'm not looking to do any sprucing up of the porch right now. I'm not changing the chairs or anything else at this point. Just trying to see if the table can be salvaged. I was thinking it would need a polyurethane stain. It might help to hide some of the imperfections. I'm afraid to do too much sanding because this veneer is really thin.

• AnnKH
    14 days ago

I'm not sure the top is salvageable, but the base looks lovely! Would it be possible to replace the top with something like butcher block? (and if the top comes off, you can bring it in the house).

• RedRyder
    14 days ago

Don’t sand too hard or with sandpaper that is too rough. Your goal is to get the top somewhat smoother so the polyurethane holds better. It has character, which shouldn’t be “sanded away”. It’s unique!

• njmomma
    14 days ago

I would laminate the top.

• palimpsest
    14 days ago

It seems it would have to fit through the doors sideways, unless all your doors are under 30" wide?

• btydrvn
    14 days ago

Sand it until it is smooth…then paint it with spray can paint…this type of paint is inexpensive and excellent for outdoor use as it has a high glue content that will seal the finish better…and the application will be smoother than a paint brush finish..for the style of it and with those chairs I would use satin finish in black…

• btydrvn
    14 days ago

A circular straw place mat…matching the other color on the chair will make a matching set..

• btydrvn
    14 days ago

Add a pretty outdoor rug and you have an inviting/irresistible outdoor spot

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Great ideas. I was thinking of painting given the damage. I hadn't thought of replacing the top all together. it is a cool pattern on top that I wish I could just lightly sand and add polyurethane. But it may be too far gone. I think a circular straw mat over a dark paint would look really cool.

njmomma when you say laminate do you mean like a countertop laminate?

• RedRyder
    13 days ago

If you really love this table, it might be worth a trip to a stone yard to see if you can get a remnant cut to size. Then it will be bulletproof.

• btydrvn
    13 days ago

As long as the stone won’t be too heavy and crush it

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

^^^^.Yes!

• dan1888
    12 days ago

Sand it with 400 to see the condition better. Then, if you think it can be used, I'd use Ciranova Ecofix Plus as the finish. ECOFIX PLUS (ciranovastore.com)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Decoupage and polyurethane is another creative way to salvage a damaged table top:

About fitting it through a door - does the pedestal detach from the top?

• john3582
    12 days ago

I would gently refinish what you can and then maybe stencil or freehand a design to hide the worst. Maybe a compass rose in the center. A dragon, a spilled vase of flower, maybe some Trompe l'oeil .I wish Beth would answer she is the refinishing furniture

Queen

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Really great ideas guys. I think I'll take a trip to the stone and tile store this weekend and see if I can find any remnants. Decoupage looks cool but may be above mu skill range. I'm closer inspection of the table I'm not noticing even more damage and cracks in the top veneer. Sadly I think covering it is my only option. Though I think I will try to protect the base so that doesn't get any damage. Unfortunately the top can't be disconnected unless I saw it off

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    12 days ago

i'll still take ideas on and how to protect and refinish the base. Sounds like a polyurethane stain would be best.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 days ago

Are those bolts I spy on the underside of the top?

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

The stone place may have half-thick pieces…. Worth asking. Let us know if you find anything.

• skmom
    11 days ago

I’d probably replace the top with a new veneer, or a new top all together, and then I’d use a marine grade finish like Waterlox marine sealer over all the wood after I got it all of the current finish off of it. I’d also make sure no wood was touching the concrete below it... you’ll want something between them like a metal riser of some sort.

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Carol, those are bolts!!! I never bothered to look. Maybe I can take the top off.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

Let us know,if those bolts removed the top. That would be a huge surprise.

• Iluvdark kychns
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Yes I was able to remove the top. Thank you Carol! Now I just need to figure out what to do. The base is not in as good as condition as I thought, as I see some delamination happening but I think it's still salvageable. I need to take another look at all the suggestions. It's possible that this table just isn't a fit for the outdoors which is a shame because I did like how it looked on my patio. Maybe I'll look into that waterlox product.

• RedRyder
    8 days ago

You can put a waterproof product on the legs if you want this for your patio. I had an extra piece of granite at the end of my kitchen-laundry room renovation and my stone guy asked if I was going to make it into a table. Granite is definitely a great outdoor product. Let us know what you think.