Thank-you for the apple peeler!

plllog

I've been doing too much, trying to challenge the bits of me that are crying out to sit down, and after two swipes with a regular, hand held peeler, to peel a couple of apples, I thought lovingly of the apple peeler. The new, cheap plastic apple peeler from China is SO much better than the the old cast iron 20th C. apple peeler! It's light weight and easy to store (for something its size) and bring out. Not "haul"! I think it weighs less than my good regular peeler. It's dead easy to clean because it has a grid bottom that drains it well. Just have to be careful not to get cut on the spikes or blade (which have covers for storage).

There's no resistance to the crank. It uses an automatic motion to bring the blade in and out, to and from the apple. While cutting, the blade is so sharp there's no resistance. Even for two smallish apples, it was worth using it, and including clean-up, it saved time. This is mine--is a different configuration as the one that was originally posted here--horizontal apple rather than vertical--but otherwise the same design. I forget who posted the first one but THANK-YOU!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QZQY1JF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay Corbel

They're great. Mine peels, cores and slices the apple in a spiral in one go. Love it.

2 Likes Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Apple skin supplies the majority of healthy phytochemicals and fiber, so it is not best to remove it. (From a Google search)

1 Like Save    
plllog

True, Ricky, but in many cooked dishes as well as sweets the skin is unpleasant. Do you put apple skin in the charoset? Do the dried apples in your cookies have skins on?

1 Like Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Valid points @plllog except that I've never made charoset, but it didn't have skins, and I believe the dried apple crisps we buy from Costco DO have the skins on.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Oh! I've never seen that, dried with skins on. Good for your clients. Any little bit of healthy, right? I take it the skins aren't noticeable in the cookies. Drying is probably the key.

Recently I had an updated version of Waldorf salad that was really good. The apples were cut in batons, skin on the ends. Tart like granny smith and one of the newer dark ones, and one redder one. Large pieces of pecan, I think, or walnut, crunchy, but only lightly candied, not covered in toffee or anything too sweet, just a few small and not too sweet raisins, and a thin creamy dressing that wasn't sweetened. So it was refreshing and edible, not sugar glop, and the skins were very nice.

But no skins in the charoset or apple pie!

Save    
Islay Corbel

I don't care if apple skin is healthy. I don't like it LOL

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech Thanks, Steve: Apple-Inspired Design at Home
See how the Mac and iPod aesthetic synchs up with today's house
Full Story
12 Vegetable Peelers to Make Quick Work of Your Garden Bounty
Steel yourself: These ergonomic and modern-looking tools bear little resemblance to the one-note peelers of the past
Full Story
Apartment Life Warm Up Fall With an Apple Pie Party at Home
A pie enthusiast shares a recipe, ideas for pretty crusts, and tips on how she makes the most of her rental kitchen
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Dave Fox is a design/build remodeling firm with a customer focused process, an incredible staff and a close knit... Read More