Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewallac

New flooring for laundry room - mix or match.

Wally
14 days ago

My laundry room is directly across from a bathroom in a short but wide hallway. i generally leave both doors open. i want to replace the vinyl flooring in the laundry with tile. Should i use a similar tile to match with the bathroom or go totally different. In the photo, you can see the bath to the left and the laundry to the right. The other rooms off the hall are my office (visible) and a bedroom on the left passed the bath - both carpeted.

Comments (10)

• JP L
    14 days ago

Totally depends on your preferences - some folks want a house with relatively uniform finishes, and prefer to keep paint colors and things like tile the same from room to room. Other folks (me!) prefer to define spaces and select different tile/paint/etc. for each room. Your rooms pictured aren't sharing space - they are just sometimes simultaneously visible from certain vantage points. There are no rules here - figure out the look you want to achieve for each space, and find tiles that work for that vision.

• jck910
    14 days ago

Me, I'd something fun. I like these because they coordinate with the hallway flooring.

• PRO
    Stearns Design Build
    14 days ago

Hello!

Because you like to leave your doors open, I would suggest choosing an identical or similar tile to what is in your bathroom. This will create cohesion between your spaces, especially ones so close together and visible from each other.

However, it would also be okay to choose something very intentionally different. I would definitely advocate for this if you are unable to find a similar tile to your bathroom. When choosing a different tile, ensure the colors work within the space. Do you have colored cabinets in your laundry room? Maybe a unique wall color or artwork? Derive colors and patterns from things currently in the space, so that way your new tile doesn't feel random or out of place.

I hope this helps!

-Preston

Designer, Stearns Design Build

www.stearnsdesignbuild.com

• shirlpp
    14 days ago

I would use a tile that matches with the bathroom. Otherwise, carpet, hardwood flooring, and 2 different floorings across from one another would be too much since you keep the doors opened.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

Match the bathroom seems to me a no brainer too many different floors are just bad.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Match the bathroom and close the doors. Who wants to see a toilet or washing machine? There is no reason to leave the doors open to these not-so-attractive spaces.

• Wally
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Thanks for all opinions. Closing the doors isn’t optimal because bath and laundry rooms have vents and would restrict airflow. I do close off the laundry if I have company. I have found a similar tile but lighting in bath and laundry cause differing effects even with the same bulbs. I’m going to see if I can fine a neutral patterned tile, given that carpet in rooms and bath tile are plain and neutral. Thinking it might blend well without trying to match. Thoughts?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    6 days ago

What do you mean by vents that restrict air flow?

• Wally
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Each room has its own vent for the a/c & furnace. If you close the doors, then the cool/warm air cannot flow throughout the house. I have a ”Right Choice” total electric home. All the vents were set for optimum comfort when I built the house. I have closed the laundry room door but being a small room with a atandard size vent, will get too cool or warm. No point in wasting electricity.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 days ago

Air flows up/down way more quick than sideways. You can’t close the vents in each room? Where is the thermostat? In winter at night, I make sure the doors of the 2 unoccupied bedrooms on the north side of the house are closed as they are the coldest rooms in the house, and it saves on electricity to let them be colder than the rest of the house all night. I also keep the door to the basement closed since it’s cooler down there.