Does coriander actually add anything?

foodonastump

Ground coriander, that it. Taste? Aroma?

Every time something calls for coriander, I pull out the seeds and my coffee grinder. Freshly ground, to try to eek something out of them. Half empty jars replaced by new, in further hopes of them actually adding something to the dish.

I’ve been going through this ritual for a while now, but have yet to convince myself that they add value. Part of me wonders if it’s due to my post-covid dampened senses, but it seems to me I’ve been pondering this for more than a few years.

What do you think? Worth it because someone might notice and appreciate, or clear out a square inch or so of my spice drawer?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisaam

I have come to love coriander for the citrus notes. I began using it in a recipe for spiced roasted cauliflower that also includes fennel, cumin, and turmeric and now I add it frequently to other things. I do enjoy grinding spices with a mortar and pestle.

Save     Thanked by foodonastump
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It certainly has an aroma to me - rather orange-y. I use often and like it. I do not like cilantro, and use coriander as a sub in dishes that call for cilantro.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Me too on the like coriander, not so much cilantro. I confess, I don't use it enough to bother toasting and grinding it. The jar of seeds sits forlorn. The pre-powdered is sufficiently pungent for my purposes. Unlike cilantro, coriander is a mild flavor, so maybe it's getting drowned out in your dishes? It sounds like you're following recipes. American recipes are notoriously parsimonious with spices. If you can't taste it, add more!

1 Like Save     Thanked by foodonastump
foodonastump

I can’t taste it straight out of the grinder. It’s sawdust to me. But your post makes we wonder if I’m missing the boat by not toasting it first. That could be huge. Will try that.

(Send me all your cilantro, I love it!)

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I don't toast it either, but I do grind the seeds in a coffee grinder - perhaps your smeller is faulty after all, FOAS?

Save    
Lars

I do not toast it, but I find it an essential flavor when making falafel. I also use it when making tonic syrup, and in the past, I have added it to chicken stock - its flavor seems to go well with chicken.

I used to let cilantro grow fairly wild in my back yard, and I also let it go to seed so that I could harvest the seeds. Fresh seeds have quite a bit more flavor than old ones, and you should be able to smell them. If you cannot, then I would have to guess that your sense of smell might be somewhat impaired.

Save    
chloebud

“(Send me all your cilantro, I love it!)”

Ditto!!!

I haven’t used coriander in a very long time. Not sure…my memory’s telling me it’s more commonly paired with warmer spices, such as ginger, cinnamon, cumin.

Save    
foodonastump

Update: I revisited my not-yet-washed grinder and definitely smell it now. Quite strongly, in fact. I’d agree with Carol about the citrusy notes. I imagine one two things happened during my time away: Either the spice needed time to ”open up” or my nose-palate refreshed. I use it mainly for one thing, and it’s inevitably the last thing I add after chopping onion and garlic, freshly grinding peppers and nutmeg, adding ground ginger and clove… maybe my nose is just overwhelmed at that point!

Now, I can’t say if I’d miss the teaspoon or so if missing from a big pot of slop, but maybe next time I’ll add a bunch more to force it to stand out.

Thanks, all, for your input!

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inside Houzz How Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Gardening Guides Herb Garden Essentials: Versatile Cilantro Adds Flavor to Herb Gardens
Love it or hate it, this cool-season herb contributes its unique flavor to any number or the world’s cuisines
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Scott Davidson founded Davidson Builders in 1998. Scott graduated from Michigan State with a BS in Construction... Read More