Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherlyman

two planters in either side of front door or one?

heatherlyman
13 days ago

I’d love to know what your thoughts are. Two planters or one?

Comments (22)

• jo mu
    13 days ago

Definitely 2

• KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

Hmm - I like the look of one. Seems more balanced with the sidelight in door & the window on that side. Also makes the entry more open & welcoming - not too crowded.

• Little Bird
    13 days ago

I agree with KW - one looks better. If you want two planters, I would put them on the gravel on both sides of the stairs, so they don’t crowd the door.

• happyleg
    13 days ago

I like the two Planters it outlines the doorway and walk away adds to the space

• Debbie Klausing
    13 days ago

Two look more balanced - In my opinion of course one looks like something’s missing.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

Just the one on the right. Remember the entry door will be experienced in 3-D & people may be carrying things or assisting someone. So you don’t t want to go through a tunnel. Symmetry is not needed- balance and breathing room are better. Plus I agree that there’s something about the asymmetrical door that works with the one planter.

You also will need to think of what grows in that spot & stays healthy.
  • jck910
    13 days ago

The door & sidelight are throwing me off (definitely like symmetry). What if you try both on one side: One on the step and one on the landing.

• S J
    13 days ago

I like one on the right...but push it a bit toward the outer decking on the right, so that you have more entering/exiting room.

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

different heights or shapes add interest.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

I think Paul F.’s idea would work, though I’d put the shorter one ( or even shorter) on other side because it’s less in your face as you enter the door, and because of window.

But I still think one would work. Remember you’re going to be growing something- it won’t be static like photoshop, it might get bushier. Because I’m hoping you’d be doing acreal plant. If nothing can grow there, you could consider a sculptural piece.
  • jo mu
    13 days ago

I think 2 but push out the one on the right to give more space and symmetry

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you for all your ideas! I think two smaller ones in the same style on either side of the door is the direction I’m heading.

• RedRyder
    13 days ago

The smaller ones allow someone with a package to access the stone shelf on either side. Definitely go smaller.

The planters are very pretty but the two taller ones give a claustrophobic feeling.

• KW PNW Z8
    12 days ago

If you’re going with 2 of smaller size, try placing them closer to posts instead of up against wall. They’ll still create symmetry & add a welcome to entry but that placement will prevent crowding at the actual door entry when multiple people or individuals bearing gifts arrive. A win-win!

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Makes sense. Thanks

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

These are too tall. They look like they belong outside a hotel with a large entrance. They make your porch look very small and crowded. I agree with getting a smaller planter. I'd go for a long low one just on the right side that stretches from the house wall to nearly the front of the porch. Now you just have an odd drop off on the right. This will help contain the space and make it feel more complete.

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

On second though, what would make it feel more complete is a horse drinking from a trough. It has been a hard week. How about it Paul F.?

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Yes! The horse balances out the tall planter, and the facial ombre effect echos the varigated stone. A winning addition Paul!

• Lorraine Leroux
    12 days ago

Why was the decking from the landing not taken to the far left wall? What is that space going to be used for? How about a planter in that hole maybe with a bench?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    12 days ago

None. If 2 people are at the door, it’s too crowded for them to stand next to each other with the planters there.

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Horse! 🤣 The porch is raised so there is a drop off on both sides. I could do the tall planters in the gravel on either side