Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cool_hand_lewk

Wolf "rangetop" with quartz backsplash?

Rob
13 days ago

Looking for any input/experience on using quartz as a backsplash with a gas rangetop specifically (preferably Wolf), not cooktop nor full range? Most of the quartz burn mark discussions I've come across online are specific to ranges and/or using self cleaning or a cooktop, nothing I've found referenced a 6 burner rangetop specifically.

Any insight/experience/pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    13 days ago

Follow the manufacturers instructions please; not online anecdotes.

• Rob
    Original Author
    13 days ago

"When installing against a combustible surface, a minimum 5" (127) riser is required", and its a mix on if quartz is "non-combustible" some sites say it is some say resistant some say it won't burn but could melt at high temps...

I'm hoping for real world answers with rangetops specifically, since it's also clear alot of people use it.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

Quartz is 80% plastic by volume and the manufacturer says you have to use a riser…

• PRO
    Zumi
    13 days ago

“A 5” riser is required. “ VERY clear. Install the required 5” minimum backguard.

• M Miller
    13 days ago

"Most of the quartz burn mark discussions I've come across online are specific to ranges"

Please say why you think the rangetop - with its six gas burners - would have a different or lesser effect on the Quartz than a range. Isn't it 6 gas burners regardless if it sits on top of an integrated oven (a range) or not (a rangetop)?

"some say it won't burn but could melt at high temps..."

Is one of those better than the other? Either way, it's telling you that Quartz should not be placed behind a heat source.

There are two fundamental directives here. One is that all the warranties from all Quartz manufacturers specify that it does not cover damage from heat from being placed too close to a heat source. Your Quartz is damaged from the heat, it's on you. The second is that you have specific instruction regarding a riser, and you are looking for people to say you can ignore it with a rangetop. That is not going to happen.

• Rob
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Sounds like quartz shouldn’t be considered.

I site the difference in rangetop vs range because the gas ranges have ovens venting heat directly against your backsplash vs the back burner flames not being directly on the backsplash with rangetops nor will it vent a oven.

Either way, I’ll just go with a natural stone.

• PRO
    Zumi
    13 days ago

Going with natural stone does not eliminate the requirement for the backguard. Understand the NFPA definition of a combustable wall.

• Rob
    Original Author
    13 days ago

*I’ll go with a non combustible wall.

• PRO
    Zumi
    13 days ago

That requires a block wall, or steel studs covered with cement board.

• Rob
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Brick Exterior wall

Steel studs

Cement board

Porcelain tile

• kculbers
    12 days ago

I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago. I chose engineered Silestone Quartz, color: charcoal soapstone. I had the Silestone applied as my gas range backsplash for an easy to clean surface. My back-burners are simmer burners and are 8.5 inches from the Silestone backsplash. I cook from scratch, so my oven and stovetop get used daily. When I use the stovetop and oven, the backsplash remains cool. No issues. My backsplash looks as good today as the day of installation.