Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisztina_markus7

Can I have full overlay cabinet with reveal between counter and door?

Is full layover cabinet possible when my countertop fabricator asks for reveal/gap between my countertop and cabinet? My cabinetmaker changed the full overlay into partial overlay when she learned about the reveal request from fabricator. I also have waterfall island but even with that we could use a filler on the side where the waterfall is, right? I see pictures on the internet that solved this. Anyone has full overlay with reveal/gap between counter and cabinets. if you do, who was your cabinetmaker? I am working with Huntwood. The partial overlay sidepanel that Huntwood offers does not look atrractive, in my opinion and the dishwasher panel does not line up with the other cabinet doors. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (9)

• chispa
    16 days ago

You don't want a dishwasher right next to a corner sink, as it makes it hard to stand at the sink and load the DW. Usually you place a trash cabinet first and then the DW.

Why is the fabricator saying you need a reveal/gap?

Do you have 3 cm slab or a 2 cm slab with a built up (or mitered) edge?

Your cabinetmaker isn't very good ... I would not want the kitchen she has designed. Those end panels are awful and no excuse for a DW panel that does not line up. What is up with those feet? That kitchen style is also not a good match with waterfall counters, which look best in very contemporary kitchens.

• krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the feet will come out, that is an easy step but the sidepanel is still ridiculous.

Correct, I have mitered/ built up edge. 90 degrees sharp edge. 3cm. If I must have the reveal on the top, do I need the reveal everywhere else, even at the bottom? is it still possible to design a kitchen with full overlay? -That would be more modern than partial overlay.

I do like my DW next to my sink- I use it every day, and have plenty of room. pros: the water does not drip on the floor. However, in the new layout the corner cabinet is less wide - so I will double check if I will still have enough room.

This house was built during the recession, a lot of corners were cut. The layout of this kitchen is ridicolous but the sraircase is in the middle of the house, so I cannot change it without moving the staircase. I need to make a lot of compromises, but I do not want to compromise on the cabinetry unless I have no choice.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

The first thing you ditch is ANY waterfall on island which makes no sense whatsoever with style of cabinetry. ZERO.

Nor do you need a built up/mitre edge for counter- just use 3 cm and a full overlay door. In no way would I want partial.

krisztina_markus7 thanked JAN MOYER
  • chispa
    16 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

This is how you do a full overlay cabinet with 2 cm slabs with a built up (laminated) or mitered edge.

I found this photo from my kitchen remodel in my previous house. Zoomed in on the plywood between the cabinet top and the slab.

These cabinets were made by Wood-mode and I had an excellent kitchen designer.
    Edit: no end panel here because this was the opening for the Wolf range.

krisztina_markus7 thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Minardi
    15 days ago

Your "custom guy" is likely using a stock line and calling it custom, rather than making anything. A true custom cabinet maker can do an applied door in any dimension. Or, better still, do an integrated decorative end on any exposed cabinets.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Minardi
  • krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you for all the comments. Minardi mentioned this: a true custom cabinetmaker can do an applied door in any dimension. What is the best practice: modify the dimensions of the applied door on the drawers and cabinets or modify the panel of the dishwasher? Huntwood is willing to modify the DW panel, but then I lose the warranty with Zline. On the other hand, they say it is impossible to customize the drawer's applied door, which I would prefer. Is my request truly impossible? Huntwood advertises as a custom cabinet maker. Chispa, I contacted my countertop fabricator, that was helpful.

• chispa
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Full overlay finished end panel should look like this.

krisztina_markus7 thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    10 days ago

Why is your fabricator asking for a gap? That cabinet should not be installed until the counter is installed. If you are following standard top alignments throughout, then the top of that cabinet should be at 36 = the height of the cabinet. The countertop at a 3cm build up is only about 1 1/4 " so you will already have about a 1/4" gap below the wall cabinet. Plus a full over lay door does not go to the exact bottom of the cabinet. There is usually 1/4" reveal ( less on a frameless cabinet ) .