Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vquaglio

Does my bedroom need drapes? Again.

VAval
13 days ago

I’ve just taken down single panel drapes that were always pulled to the corners in my bedroom. I did not need them for privacy or darkening, as I have black motorized roller shades that are practically invisible unless in use. They were mostly for slight color (geometric gold and cream) and softening. But they were unlined and starting to look a bit sad and chintzy, although hung high and on nice black rods.
Guess what I miss! Color and softening.
Is there any other option for this stark looking bedroom? Do I just need to get used to the change? The windows are fairly narrow, so double panels cover too much view and light, IMO. Would painting the room an actual color do the trick?

Comments (22)

• kandrewspa
    13 days ago

I like the different wall color. Just ask yourself if it would feel cozy dark or oppressively dark to you. Everyone doesn't feel the same way about dark wall colors.

• Kate Cowers
    13 days ago

I don't think the room looks stark at all. It looks clean and crisp. I wouldn't do drapes. I'm a huge fan of interior mounted shades as you have - have them in every room in my house and not a curtain in sight. Pop things up with some color in pillows etc.

• HU-187528210
    13 days ago

I think it looks LOVELY as is.
    Doesn’t need drapes and doesn’t need paint either! You have a great eye for design and a great sense of style!

The only thing I’m thinking is switching out the ceiling fan for a light fixture. But I don’t know if maybe you need and use the fan consistently…

💖💖💖

• VAval
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Oh wow! Thanks everyone! I was so hoping I would not need to go down the drape rabbit hole again. I think I just need to get used to the change. I do love the increased views and the light is the best in the house. I do not dislike the deep green color in the bad mock up. But I’ll make that the next resort rather than drapes. Unless I get some more ideas ;)

• susan49417
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Very pretty room. For me personally, the rug looks rather dark (at least on my monitor). I like the pattern but personally would look for something lighter as well as a more colorful pillow on the corner chair. I also think the mirror over the dresser looks too small but again it could just be the view from the picture.

• Maureen
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I like the feel of your room as is and given the number of windows and their layout, drapes will be too busy. Also like the calm paint color.

An alternative to drapes could be using textured, earthy roman blinds (with some black to work with shades when drawn) hung above the frame so as not to interfere with the shades (maybe skip the doors). Adds warmth/interest, but in a minimal way. Have you tried the prints above bed on the empty wall on left, as they seem high, and the other wall will benefit as well.

• Theresa Peterson
    13 days ago

No wrong answers here:

- As presented, your room is bright and open. No, it does not look stark or uninviting. You don't NEED to do anything.

- I do like the olive drab color. It picks up the rug's tones, and it makes the room a bit more cozy, inviting ... cuts down on the very, very bright feel.

- I personally would like to see drapes (hung to the side so as not to impede the natural light too much ... though your windows are close together, so I wonder about "parking space" for the curtains).

• mcarroll16
    13 days ago

I love the green wall mockup! It complements the rug, the orange pillows, and the art in a way that your current wall color doesn't. It's also a better team player with the red-toned wood of your floor and furniture. It's a beautiful, clean room just the way it is. But with the green walls it's suddenly a strong, cohesive design.

I don't think you need drapes, with either wall color. The one thing I would add is a cozy throw, one that has some of the same orange tones as your pillows and rug. A blanket draped over the easy chair or the bench, ready to grab and wrap up in, is the missing piece that would make the room ready to just walk in and relax in.

Agree with @susan49417 that a larger mirror would look more balanced. Maybe one with a gold frame to tie into the picture to its left, and to add a lighter, warmer tone.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

I don't think drapers are needed. Nightstands twice the width would balance the bed better and prints that were not so tall above the headboard.

• chispa
    13 days ago

The right wallpaper could really elevate the whole room.

You can spend months/years looking for the perfect one! I'm on year one of searching for the perfect paper for a powder room. Always nice to have a project LOL

• debrak6
    13 days ago

I don't think your room looks stark in the slightest! You've done a lovely job of layering colors and textures and it all goes together so well without being matchy or boring. I like the clean, well-decorated look of it a lot.

• Sigrid
    13 days ago

I like your room. It is a bit austere, but stylishly so. Options for softening and color --- new rug, new pictures, colorful throw on the bed. Reupholster the headboard (and be done with a nice fabric and a staple gun, pretty easily). More colorful bedspread.

That said, I had a room which echoed. Curtains solved that problem.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

Your room looks fantastic. I've vote against curtains. You simply don't need them, your windows are beautiful, and the views provide color and texture to your space. I wonder if your room feels completely different in spring vs winter? Does it feel cold or more stark with no leaves on the trees?

I also don't think you need to paint, though the green is a beautiful color. Should you live with this for a while and decide you want color, you've nailed it with that shade of green.

You could go much bigger with the bench at the end of your bed and the extra wood would add more warmth. However, the one you have is pretty and functional. Seems wasateful to ditch it for a new one.

• nester44
    13 days ago

No drapes, no green paint. I think it's perfect as is. You've done a great job with it.

• Jilly
    13 days ago

Lovely room, you’ve done a great job.

I‘d just do as you said — live with it a while and see how you feel.

I wouldn’t change the art above your bed, the scale looks good within the context of all the windows.

I don’t see anything I’d change in this room unless you could use wider nightstands in a functional sense.

• lisaam
    13 days ago

Love the room, the wndows, and that paint color is pretty too.

• kculbers
    13 days ago

Lovely room. I also like it “as is”!

• Tara
    13 days ago

How about sheers?

Residence along the Hudson · More Info

Room To Dream Boys Bedroom · More Info

• VAval
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I have to applaud my husband for being able to pay all of you off so I’ll put the drapes idea aside ;) Thank you very much for all the encouragement. I will add a more colorful pillow or 2 and look for a throw to add some softness, color, and texture. Great ideas. And wow, I love the look of the wider bedside tables. I never thought of it, this furniture was actually purchased for another, smaller room. Something to consider. I’m going to keep the paint color in my back pocket in case I just can’t get used to the new streamlined look.
    But thank you all for such great ideas.

• elcieg
    13 days ago

You don't need window treatments on all the windows. Make the headboard wall/windows the accent wall. I like black to work with the windows. And, if in your budget, a new rug that is lighter and works with the colors in the room. The art above bed will show better on a dark wall.

• enajasereht
    13 days ago

Your room is very pretty the way it is. My only suggestion would be to turn the two paintings above the bed to horizontal. I'm curtains were hung High and Im assuming that's why you're pictures were high as well. They look to be abstract so maybe it would work. Maybe it wouldn't.

• Susan Davis
    13 days ago

Just me, but I do think with all the rectilinear lines in the room, something round and textured would look nice over the bed. And the plant on the floor in a round basket or round pot.