Improving an Apple Cake recipe - Very crumbly!

Jane Downsborough

Hi all, I have a delicious apple spice cake recipe that is moist and very crumbly (falls apart as you cut it). I've done some reading and think the recipe could be partly the problem (ratios of fat, sugar etc.) Can I have advice on possible changes to make it less crumbly? The recipe is:

Ingredients:

1. 2 medium apples chopped

2. 1 cup sugar

3. 4 oz melted butter

4. 1 egg

5. 8 oz flour

6. 0.5 tsp baking soda

7. 1 tsp cinnamon

8. 0.5 tsp nutmeg

9. 0.5 tsp mixed spice

Method:

• preheat oven to 180 C

• line a cake tin with baking paper

• combine 1 & 2

• in a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients (5, 6, 7, 8, & 9) (sift 3 times)

• combine 3 & 4 and mix into 1 & 2

• fold in dry ingredients

• put into cake tin and bake for 50-55 minutes

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I would add another egg,

2 Likes Save    
Jane Downsborough

thanks! do you think I need to increase the flour if I add another egg?

Save    
Olychick

I looked up some other recipes and some used 4 eggs to 2 c flour so I don't think adding flour is necessary and would defeat the purpose of adding the egg. Look at some other online recipes to get a sense of proportion of ingredients to see how yours compares.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jane Downsborough
Islay Corbel

A foolproof cake is the weight method. Weigh 2 eggs. Take the same weight butter, sugar and SR flour. No need to sift flour these days.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and flour. Then, whatever you like. Chopped apples, vanilla....... SOmetimes I make some caramel, put that on the bottom of the tin lined with baking parchment, add the apples to that then the cake mix. You can't go wrong.

floraluk2

That's exactly as my mother taught me, Islay. And with balance scales you can actually use the eggs as the weights. It's essentially a Victoria sponge recipe and I use it for all kinds of cake: apple, banana, coffee, chocolate, lemon drizzle etc.

For apple cake you can either mix in chopped apple, stick slices into the top on their sides or lay them out in concentric circles. Add spices, nuts, streusel, caramel, whatever you fancy.

2 Likes Save    
plllog

There are many different cake textures. The OP recipe is odd, and mixes cups and ounces, but I don't think the solution is to dump it for something different, given that it's delicious. Olychick's egg might be all it needs. Eggs act as glue as well as moisture. The temperature may be an issue as well. Try baking it at a slightly lower temperature, like 325-330F, and make sure to test before it's done so you don't over bake.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jane Downsborough
Lars

I make Torta di Mele when I have ripe apples on my tree, but this recipe does not have the spices that yours does - but you could add them, if you wanted to.

Note the proportions of apples, eggs, etc in this recipe - it is not crumbly at all when done.

Save     Thanked by Jane Downsborough
chloebud

“Look at some other online recipes to get a sense of proportion of ingredients to see how yours compares.”

Agree!

Save    
foodonastump

Unless Victoria means butter, I’m thinking Islay’s ingredients sound like pound cake not sponge cake.

Save    
floraluk2

The proportions do sound like pound cake but we'd call this a Victoria sponge. It's made using the creaming method ie cream sugar and fat. Add eggs. Add flour.

Never having made or eaten pound cake I don't know what the differences might be.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

I've made that cake, but it's been years ago. As I recall it is a very moist cake and delicious. I pulled my older cookbooks and found a number of recipes for Raw Apple Cake, with a few variations. My recipe:

Raw Apple Cake

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 cups A.P. flour

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

4 cups raw, peeled, tart apples- diced or chopped small

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cream sugar and shortening, then add beaten eggs. Sift all dry ingredients together, then add to wet mixture. Add apples last, then pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake @350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Some of these recipes used the same amount of vegetable oil instead of shortening. Some also frost this cake, but I don't think it's necessary. Your recipe is pretty similar, but half size. Hope this helps.

ETA:I just noticed that your recipe uses the same amount of butter for the

8" x 8" size as mine (shortening) does for the 9" x 13".

Save     Thanked by Jane Downsborough
plllog

Floral, true pound cake is quatre quarts, but in some regions of USA, people call any similar cake, of different proportions ”pound cake”, which makes it confusing. ”Butter cake” is the most common name for that, the fluffier, baking powder rising cake. I've been known to say ”cake cake” for the common frosted layer cake kind of butter cake, that's what people mostly mean here when they say ”cake” without qualifiers, but there are tons of variations with different proportions. And other cakes, altogether, like Hummingbird cake, which is an oil cake, meant to be dense, and “sponge cake“ which is mostly egg rising, but also has a bit of baking powder, and not much flour, and is very fluffy.

FOAS, cake names are very imprecise here and ours don't match up to UK.

Save    
Jane Downsborough

I've got a few variations to try, I'm going to start with the extra egg, and also try halving the butter. I'm going to try the egg-weighing method to compare and contrast. The Torta di Mele sounds delicious as well. I see a LOT of apple cake in my future :D

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

This is nothing like what I know as a pound cake.

Save    
foodonastump

Lizbeth - I was referring to the ingredients/proportions Islay posted, not the OP’s cake. Equal weights butter, sugar, egg, and flour makes the original pound cake as I understand it, regardless if there are other names for pound cake or if there are other cakes people call pound cake.

Save    
plllog

Yep.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Sorry, FOS! I didn't catch that. That does sound like a pound cake.

Save    
Islay Corbel

It's just a suggestion!!!

Here, it's a quatre quarts.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

OP states it's already very moist, so wouldn't adding an egg make it goopy?

How finely are the apples chopped? What about grating them instead?

FWIW, I make a cottage pudding type 'cake' that directs beating the egg and sugar until light and fluffy, then adding the flour/dry ingredients and beating well before adding the chopped fruits. I feel like that develops some gluten and binds things better.

Perhaps try ordering the steps differently to see if that helps?

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Hmm - just came across this in my feed - looks similar, but steps are different than described above...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/french-apple-cake

Ingredients

• Cooking spray
  • 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
  • 3/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
  • 3 tbsp. dark rum
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 3 medium sweet-tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and chopped

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350° with a rack in the middle position; lightly coat an 8” round cake pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Step 2

In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy. Add melted butter, 3/4 cup sugar, rum, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until evenly incorporated. Fold in apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Step 3

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Yields: 8 Servings Prep Time: 15 mins. Total Time: 1 hr. 30 mins. Cal/Serv: 336

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Apartment Life Warm Up Fall With an Apple Pie Party at Home
A pie enthusiast shares a recipe, ideas for pretty crusts, and tips on how she makes the most of her rental kitchen
Full Story
Kitchen Design Sweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story