Hospice Pie

Olychick

I just saw this story that I thought some here might enjoy. Here in the PNW we have a proliferation of blackberries. Some not native, but they fill vacant lots and cover field fences and try to take over our rural lots, sometimes succeding. But there is one special variety of wild blackberry that grows mostly in the foothills that we call "little wild blackberries." They are HARD to come by, difficult to find and even more difficult to pick. They grow well in areas devastated by wild fires or slash burns. You can seldom buy them...I found a guy last year who was selling them for $60 a gallon. There is truly no better blackberry.

Anyway that's to set up some context about this pie...the video is about 6 min, but worth it! The pie maker is 96.

Hospice Pie

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Lovely.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Olychick
Sooz

What a heart-warmiwarming and delightful video!

I never knew about your little wild blackberries!

Smiles,

Sooz

foodonastump

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Wish I could try your wild blackberries. $60 per gallon sounds like a steal.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Olychick

FOAS, I thought that, too. Unfortunately, the guy was a flake and one county over and I could never get him to commit to meeting up so I could get them. Probably plenty of more convenient customers. Made me sad, since it's been years since I was able to pick. Though I have one younger friend who picks and always makes a little wild blackberry pie for our Christmas potluck, so I at least get a tiny taste.

Save    
chisue

Lovely story, Olychick. Thanks for the link.

It took a long time for the US to accept the concept of Hospice. I think it only blossomed once hospital conglomerates embraced it, making it financially viable. It wasn't available when my DM was dying of leukemia in 1978. I remember donating to an early hospice in Chicago that accepted patients dying of AIDS -- whenever that was. Americans can be so slow to adopt anything Not Invented Here.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
annie1992

I also enjoyed the story, and Elery's Dad and my Mother both had Hospice care at the end of their lives, as did my daughter's father in law and grand mother in law. Hospice is a wonderful gift for people who need them.

As for the blackberries, they grow wild here too. I remember as a child, standing in the National Forest with my bucket, picking blackberries about the size of my little fingernail. Grandma would make blackberry dumplings and jam and if I kept picking she'd can them in quart jars for dumplings in the winter. I just had to remember to sing or talk, so the bears would hear me and stay away, they liked the berries too.

I picked several years ago and got enough for a batch of jam, it was a lot more work than I remembered, LOL.

Annie

Patriciae

How lovely.

I adore the local trailing blackberries. The flavor is the best and very comparable to a trailing southern Dewberry. They are lucky in the south as the berries are larger and easier to pick with the same intense flavor. I used to make a wonderful blackberry liqueur using tequila as the alcohol. Wonderful stuff. Unfortunately the introduced Himalayan blackberry and the Evergreen have taken over the native territory.

Olychick

Oh, I wondered if they grew other places! I cannot imagine ever making jam with them, but in my lifetime I've eaten at some little cafes that featured the jam (and the pies).

Save    
whistle_b

What a wonderful story. I grew up picking/eating wild strawberries. What a treat!

eld6161

Thank sharing this!

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Thank you, Olychick, that was wonderful!

lily316

Cool story and I can just taste that blackberry pie. I have always loved fruit pies and my mother could make the best. Sour cherry was my favorite. I eat blackberries all the time in my yogurt but buy them at the store.

CA Kate z9

What a beutiful story. Hinds Hospice cared for my DH, and thir care was so wonderful for us. I would like to have a piece of that pie!

morz8 - Washington Coast

Olychick, I had seen the piece on Eric's Heros a year or so ago, and when this came up again this week I was afraid it meant we had lost her. What a lovely, gracious lady and generous in every sense.

Sadly, that did prove to be the case and her services this week. At 98, all who loved her will be saying their final goodbyes tomorrow. I wish I could have known her.

Elma Elizabeth Johnson, The Pie Lady

olychick

Oh, Morz8, that's sad to hear. I wonder if that's why her story showed up on my FB page? She was a gem.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Counters: Stunning, Easy-Care Engineered Quartz
There's a lot to like about this durable blend of quartz and resin for kitchen countertops, and the downsides are minimal
Full Story
Organizing How to Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets, One at a Time
Follow these steps to straighten up your kitchen cabinets and shelves so they’re a pleasure to use
Full Story
Pets The Best of My Houzz: 50 Design-Loving Pets
Share in the animal love with snapshots of adorable furry friends from our My Houzz series
Full Story
Dream Baths is a complete design-build-remodel firm located in the Historical German Village area of downtown... Read More