Good ideas for packing on healthy weight?

party_music50

BF is slight to begin with but he had pneumonia and has lost too much weight. I've bought nuts, protein bars, etc., but he's not a person who snacks much between meals. He's a bacon junky and pretty much requires it every day, so that's a given. He's also a milkshake junky, so I made sure he got ice cream for that. Any ideas for the best ways for him to gain healthy weight? i.e., what packs the most healthy calories and is insignificant to eat? lol!

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Protein. Builds muscles. Add protein powder to shakes. Bacon has a lot of umami. Maybe supplement it with low salt, no added sugar, no fat, but flavored beef jerky. Country Archer has zero sugar and is tasty, maybe too much salt, though less than delimeat I think. Or if you want to cook, lean beef cooked with mushrooms and/or tomatoes for the umami, or chili-lime or anything cravable, sliced thin, which makes it easier to eat more of.

If he's been on antibiotics, also things to build back gut health, like a lot of dark leafy greens, and the general health recommendations of lots and lots of colorful produce. Put berries in the milkshakes, too, if he'll accept them.

Dried fruit packs a wallop of nutrients and sugar into a small bite.

It might be worth getting an impedence scale to track body comp.

Save     Thanked by party_music50
foodonastump

If he’s lean to begin with then I’m guessing most of what he lost is muscle, so I’d be trying to work on that with protein. Maybe not the leanest protein but I wouldn’t load up on fatty red meat. Maybe dark poultry, heavier fish, plenty of eggs. The nuts are good, maybe nut butters will tempt him more? Maybe he needs some of Ricky's cookies? But really, unless he’s actually at an inhealthy weight I wouldn’t force the issue too much. I’d expect him to ease back towards his equilibrium in due time.

*^^All just my surmising, Lord knows I have no experience with healthy weight gain!

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Peanut and other nut butters are pretty calorie and nutrient dense...

1 Like Save     Thanked by party_music50
party_music50

plllog, it started when I rushed him to the ER and they found his salt levels were dangerously low. That required him to be checked in…. then came the pneumonia. I’ll find protein powder. I’m not sure how he’d feel about berries in shakes, so I’ll ask. Actually, a banana in a chocolate shake sounds good to me. :) Dried fruit won’t appeal to him unless it’s turned into a fruit crisp. lol!

FOAS, yes, he said this morning that he’s lost muscle weight… from too much laying around. It is an unhealthy weight — he’s at 18.2 BMI. Yes to eggs!! He loves them done every which way — I even taught him to like soft yolks. :) He loves cookies and I’ll make him something good tomorrow, and re Ricky’s cookies he already ate a gummy. lol!

carolb, I’ll make his cookies with PB and load up on nuts in things. And, duh, cheese should be good and he really likes cheese done every which way.

Thanks, all. That gives me a good start!

2 Likes Save    
plllog

Add protein powder to the cookies too! Bananas are high in carbs, fiber and nutrients. Good choice there! And fruit crisp is a good idea on the carb side. And you can also put protein powder in it! For eggs and cheese, you can make crustless quiche (or crust on if you want to be bothered), soufflé, cheese omelettes.... And somewhere in there is lasagna. Just watch the animal fat and salt.

With all this, a good all over body toning routine will help a lot. If he's feeling less than gym ready, there are a bunch of books and apps along the lines of Get Fit In Bed, which start things moving and bringing back tone. After some weeks at that, moving into some resistance and light weights is good. Working out, even lightly, should stimulate the appetite and put all the protein to work!

Islay Corbel

Just a normal, healthy, balanced diet is all that's necessary. With daily walks and 3 good meals a day, he should progress nicely. His body will take what it needs. Too much bacon, ice-cream etc is not good or healthy.

floraluk2

Islay is the voice of reason again. Normal nutritious food is all that's needed. No need to wear yourself out baking special stuff. Cheese omelette, chunk of crusty bread, side salad and banana for dessert. Roast chicken, potatoes, green veg, egg custard for dessert. Baked fish, baked potato, green veg, fruit compote and Greek yoghurt for dessert. Chicken curry with a load of veg in it, brown rice, fresh fruit.

Try to get him off the daily bacon habit.

party_music50

Thanks, everyone. I'm hoping he'll be able to walk a bit later. Right now his days basically consist of sleeping, getting up for short whiles, but whenever he eats it makes him very tired again and he goes back to sleep. I know what he likes/wants in food, so last night I made him sauteed chicken tenders, yellow rice, broccoli w/ garlic & OO, sauteed zucchini, baked sweet potato, and cranberry sauce. He said it was exactly what he wanted, but then he didn't have room for dessert. This morning I made him blueberry-yogurt pancakes and a fried egg, plus he had one piece of leftover bacon. He's sleeping again, but the food seems to be hitting the spot because he ate 4 pancakes. :)

2 Likes Save    
floraluk2

Crikey. He certainly hasn't lost his appetite! I can't see him failing to bulk up with that kind of intake.

Islay Corbel

He does seem to have a good apetite. Sleep is healing. Sending hugs.

party_music50

Thank you. :) I know that a big part of triggering his appetite is whether or not the food is eye candy for him. He loves to see color on his plate and lots of food choices with a meal.... and he loves all forms of comfort food. Yesterday he said his "low sauce light" was on, and he wanted spaghetti w/ sauce, Italian hot sausage, and a garden salad. I'm thrilled that he's eating like this. :)

1 Like Save    
Eileen

Since he loves milkshakes, try Orgain protein shakes for between meals. My son drank them last summer. They are whey protein, not soy, and also have twenty vitamins and minerals. He liked the chocolate fudge. Sold on A-zon and at Target.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Healthy Home 16 Ideas for a Healthy, Feel-Good Home
Making these small tweaks and bigger shifts at home can help you thrive everywhere you go
Full Story
Life 10 Smart Organizing Ideas That Make Life Easier
Rethink where and how you store household basics, from bills to baking supplies, to buy some time and save some headaches
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 6 Design Ideas for Happy Pets
Keep your dog or cat feeling safe and in high spirits, and you'll all feel more at peace. Here's how
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Bella Casa, llc is a full service interior design firm that has been specializing in high end residential & light... Read More