Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_343448755

Please Help - My Wife Hates My Stereo Equipment

Rick P.
26 days ago
last modified: 26 days ago

We have a cabin with a largeish (20x40) living room, one end of which is all glass with great views. The whole place has great views, but my wife and I particularly want the living room view to be spectacular. The other end of the living room has a TV, and my wife is happy with how she is decorating that. In the middle of the room is a player piano (gloss black) that my wife is also happy with. The first floor of the cabin is very open (so there is line of site from the kitchen, over the dinning room, and into the sunken living room, with a book case divider. We are both very happy with the architecture and finishes, and want the place to look like it came out of architectural disgest. The only problem is the view end of the living room -- as to everything else (and the place is pretty large, so everything is a bunch of different rooms, including a wine cellar, a sun room, an exercise room, two mud rooms, a family room and bar area, guest bedrooms, etc.

So our problem is that I want to put a nice stereo at the view end of the living room. I had my wife's support with the concept and the equipment I envisioned. The only constraints were: 1) there couldn't be any visible power cords, or wires, etc., and 2) I couldn't put anything in front of the windows in order not to block the view. I purchased the equipment and seeing it in person has caused my wife great distress, even though the rules are followed (cables from the speakers, for example, will run under the floor through access ports). In fairness, the speakers, which are 4' tall, but stand about 4' from the windows, do slightly block the view if they are positioned just right -- that is one of her objections, but I think the real problem is that she just thinks they are too intrusive. I should point out that before ordering anything, I showed her the various speakers I was considering. My first choice was more massive, but less expensive. My wife preferred the most expensive speakers I was considering, and thought they (Bowers & Wilkins 801D4) looked fine and much better than any of the others under consideration. Although I am naturally frugal, I spent the extra money expecting to make her happy.

The other thing that she doesn't like is the amplifiers. She was expecting what most people would think of as a stereo amplifier. In high end systems, like mine, amplification is often accomplished through the use of two separate amplifiers (one for each speaker), placed very near the speakers. And instead of putting the speakers up against a wall, or even in a corner, the speakers are often placed at least 4' from the wall. And my amplifiers are quite large -- something like 30" long, 17" wide, and 18" tall (they sit on 4" stands to elevate them from the floor), and they weigh about 200 pounds each. Most of the other equipment is on floating shelves (to isolate from any floor vibration) under the window. There is also a turntable, its power supply and its pre-amplifier, which are in an existing build-in cabinet and cannot be seen -- my wife has no complaints about that.

The picture below shows what I am describing. Note that we have ordered a 3-seat sofa that will replace the one partially shown in the picture, and we are temporarily using the piano bench as a coffee table, also as shown. We will add a real coffee table, and a rug (which will help with sound reverberation, although the room already has surprisingly good accoustics), and perhaps seating on the right. Also, there will be a 100" rising screen projector underneath the window, behind the equipment -- that screen will not be seen when not in use.

The bottom line is she hates the look, but a little encouragement from professional decorators might change her mind. So, I encourage all comments about the look, good or bad. My other hope is that some of you can make suggestions about how I can soften the look. For example, I suggested a glass coffee table, which could sit over the amplifiers. My wife didn't reject that idea out of hand, but doesn't think it would look good.

Any and all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks, Rick

Comments (141)

• bichonbabe
    23 days ago

i'm glad you and your wife have the same interest in wonderful sound! It seems like your wife doesn't really hate the equipment after all! But you have a decorator you are working with so maybe this isn't the best place to post. I can't imagine this forum is ever going to like this look, so just enjoy your music! It's your life to live as you see fit. ( FYI Faux plants are a terrible idea IMHO)

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

" i'm glad you and your wife have the same interest in wonderful sound! It seems like your wife doesn't really hate the equipment after all! But you have a decorator you are working with so maybe this isn't the best place to post. I can't imagine this forum is ever going to like this look, so just enjoy your music! It's your life to live as you see fit. ( FYI Faux plants are a terrible idea IMHO) "

Hate is a relative term, and that was her choice of words. There is not much in her life to be unhappy about, at least not that I am responsible for, and my goal in seeking advice here was to make her happy (or less unhappy) about the stereo, if possible. I agree that the people here are not going to like the look, but was hoping for suggestions as to help it look better. That is where I am at with the coffee table -- any suggestions about where I could get something fabricated that looks like what I posted below would be appreciated.

• tracefloyd
    23 days ago

I am so sorry to hear that.

• deegw
    23 days ago

I would post this on an audiophile subreddit. Leave out the blaming the wife info and just ask how you should set this up so it doesn't look like a college dorm room with a crazy nice view.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    23 days ago

Not sure if you can move the components, but what about putting them in a cabinet or 2 off to the right side and just have the speakers moved a little closer together?

The speakers don't really bother me, nor do the components. I think because it is all so spread out horizontally and looks like an afterthought ( even though you have put so much thought into making sure you get your dream set up ).

Here is my lame attempt at a mock up:

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

@Rick P. I would recommend giving the coffee table idea a bit more thought. Not certain the style shown is conducive to the mono block amplifiers and having the speaker cable connects running across the floor will be unsightly and a potential trip hazzard.

Having been an avid audiofile for almost 60 years, I fully understand the musical experience a system such as your's can provide. In the early 80's I auditioned the original B&W 801's, their reproduction capability, soundstage presentaion and spacial detail was mesmerizing, can only imagine how the latest iteration sounds.

I do have some thoughts concerning the need to tone down the current audio lab look to make things more visually palatable for a living area enviroment. I do however need a bit more info.

1. - The 100" rising projector screen. Have you chosen a model? Is your desire to have this in front of or behind the main equipment that is currently mounted on the wall platforms? Will you be using a short throw projector?

2. - How long are the current mono block amplfier speaker interconnect cables?

Thanks,

Graham

• freedomplace1
    23 days ago

I like the coffee table your decorator chose, Rick. Do you like it? Does your wife like it? You could really use just about any coffee table that has the right dimensions to house the amps.

And that’s great that your wife is now seeing a connect with the speaker finish and piano finish.

Don’t take the snide comments from people here to heart, Rick. Nor much of the ”design advice” that you will get here. Most of the people here have zero clue as to anything that has to do with design. And that is really the bottom line, Rick. As just one example: all the snide comments about using faux greenery (which happens here all the time, btw, not just in your case - so don’t take it personally). Faux plants, etc. are used in interior design all the time - for a host of reasons. Both in residential as well as commercial properties. And one of those reasons is that, as in your case, sometimes it’s a residence where people just spend a few months out of the year, etc. But again, there are a host of reasons why faux greenery, etc. is used... which would be why it continues to be manufactured, and improved upon. https://www.thespruce.com/best-fake-plants-4154198?

If someone does not PERSONALLY like the idea of using faux greenery in their spaces - that is absolutely fine. And no one has a gun to their head to try to force them to do otherwise. But to come on a site like this, that is supposed to be about design/decorating, and make these nasty and just bottom line ignorant comments is NOT ok.

But unfortunately it is what goes on here 24/7 - on every topic...

I will look around for some additional table ideas for you, Rick. You can run them by your wife and decorator.

• bichonbabe
    23 days ago

I have faux plants in my houses as I travel and cannot take care of real plants . They are high quality and difficult to tell they are not real . What I would never use them for is to attempt to disguise a massive audio system.

• freedomplace1
    23 days ago

And that would absolutely be your PERSONAL prerogative, @bichonbabe .

Rick P. thanked freedomplace1
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    23 days ago

Unfortunately, from an audiofile perspective nothing can be placed in front of the speaker; including plants faux or real. Everytime you wish to do some serious listening they will have to be moved out of the way.

The speakers in question are specifically designed to be seen and heard. Don't fight it.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

"Unfortunately, from an audiofile perspective nothing can be placed in front of the speaker; including plants faux or real. Everytime you wish to do some serious listening they will have to be moved out of the way.

The speakers in question are specifically designed to be seen and heard. Don't fight it."

The thought with the faux plants is a removable cover (more like a big loose-fitting sock) with the plants attached. Those covers would be in place only when we are not actively listening.

I am in the minority (but I am not alone), but I think those speakers look great. I am trying to accommodate my wife's preference, at least if it can be done without sacrificing sound quality.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    23 days ago

Rick P. Personally I would not cover them, they are like modern art sculptures. I believe this needs to be approached differently than just finding an independant solution for each element in isolation of all of the other elements.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

"I like the coffee table your decorator chose, Rick. Do you like it? Does your wife like it? You could really use just about any coffee table that has the right dimensions to house the amps.

And that’s great that your wife is now seeing a connect with the speaker finish and piano finish.

Don’t take the snide comments from people here to heart, Rick. Nor much of the ”design advice” that you will get here. Most of the people here have zero clue as to anything that has to do with design. And that is really the bottom line, Rick. As just one example: all the snide comments about using faux greenery (which happens here all the time, btw, not just in your case - so don’t take it personally). Faux plants, etc. are used in interior design all the time - for a host of reasons. Both in residential as well as commercial properties. And one of those reasons is that, as in your case, sometimes it’s a residence where people just spend a few months out of the year, etc. But again, there are a host of reasons why faux greenery, etc. is used... which would be why it continues to be manufactured, and improved upon. https://www.thespruce.com/best-fake-plants-4154198?

If someone does not PERSONALLY like the idea of using faux greenery in their spaces - that is absolutely fine. And no one has a gun to their head to try to force them to do otherwise. But to come on a site like this, that is supposed to be about design/decorating, and make these nasty and just bottom line ignorant comments is NOT ok.

But unfortunately it is what goes on here 24/7 - on every topic...

I will look around for some additional table ideas for you, Rick. You can run them by your wife and decorator."

Miss Freedom,

I appreciate your thoughts, particularly. We have other faux plants and love them. They look real and are a necessity since we don't stay in the same place long. I have mentioned your idea to my wife and she likes that idea, but wants to see it before she says "that is perfect". It was interesting that one of the comments below was from someone saying not to do faux plants. Then he said faux plants are great, just not for covering speakers. I don't get that line of reasoning. I am surprised by the level of nastiness, and when I have time I intend to re-read my comments to see if I am responsible. The reality is envy triggers unwarranted hostility. Whatever.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion and will get something made to cover the speakers (and I appreciate your referral).

As to the table, I do like the one in my picture. I admittedly don't have a great aesthetic sense, but our decorator's comment that it ties in to the log cabin aspect of our home suggests to me that it should look good even to the most critically trained eye. Still, I would appreciate any alternatives you can suggest. If you are a professional, I would like to pay for your time (or order through you if that helps).

Regards,

Rick

• bichonbabe
    23 days ago

I never said I hate faux plants . I said that are not the solution to your issue .

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

"I would recommend giving the coffee table idea a bit more thought. Not certain the style shown is conducive to the mono block amplifiers and having the speaker cable connects running across the floor will be unsightly and a potential trip hazzard."

The cables will run under the floor, nothing to see or trip on. There will be adequate clearance for heat dissipation (and I don't operate at nearly the volumes the thing is capable of anyway, which means it doesn't run that hot in the first place). Is there anything else I should be concerned about in the coffee table approach?

Having been an avid audiofile for almost 60 years, I fully understand the musical experience a system such as your's can provide. In the early 80's I auditioned the original B&W 801's, their reproduction capability, soundstage presentaion and spacial detail was mesmerizing, can only imagine how the latest iteration sounds.

Thank you. It is, to my ears, the best sounding system I have ever heard. My wife and I both really enjoy listening to it. It seems that I haven't done a very good job in expressing how important that is to us, but it doesn't surprise me that the guy off of the street would have no idea.

I do have some thoughts concerning the need to tone down the current audio lab look to make things more visually palatable for a living area enviroment. I do however need a bit more info.

1. - The 100" rising projector screen. Have you chosen a model? Is your desire to have this in front of or behind the main equipment that is currently mounted on the wall platforms? Will you be using a short throw projector?

The screen case will be behind all oft he equipment that is on the back wall, and will be significantly (but not entirely) concealed by that equipment. The equipment platforms are all floating and all attach to separate studs, which attach to the sub-floor, not the floor. The goal is to minimize vibration, and the screen will also be attached to separate studs. The model is a VividStorm, which I have in 120" at my primary home. The projector is ultra short throw, which I also have at my primary home. That combination works amazingly well.

2. - How long are the current mono block amplfier speaker interconnect cables? I don't recall how long they are, but certainly long enough to run from under-the-coffee table amps to the speakers. The balanced interconnects from the pre-amp to each amp are also long enough. I have never heard any sonic improvement with super fancy interconnects or speaker cables, so I don't have hugely expensive cables -- if I have to buy new ones, I am happy to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. -Rick

• freedomplace1
    23 days ago

Always my pleasure, Rick. And yes, it is quite a situation around here... It’s definitely ”not you” in this case. ( No need to go back and scrutinize your comments. :)

I’m glad some of my thoughts have been helpful. And thank you so much for your offer! So gracious... You are First Class. But really, I am just happy to help. I’m in NYC and the Solar Eclipse has now started here, plus my day is starting late in the midst. But I defintely will look around for some other table options for you later. I want to be able to focus and give it some thought. Right now, I am thinking that there is the school of thought of having an interesting table that picks up on the theme of your house, as your decorator has offered you. - or alternatively, possibly going with something more simple and streamlined that might allow the design of the amps to be showcased without distraction. And either of these ideas can work - and there could also be a myriad of options that fall in between these two ideas. It reallly ultimately depends on what you like, Rick. And imo you have a very refined aesthetic sense. Trust your instincts.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

"Not sure if you can move the components, but what about putting them in a cabinet or 2 off to the right side and just have the speakers moved a little closer together?

The speakers don't really bother me, nor do the components. I think because it is all so spread out horizontally and looks like an afterthought ( even though you have put so much thought into making sure you get your dream set up )."

Putting in racks presents a few problems: 1) my wife thinks racks are ugly, and 2) the glass continues quite a distance to the right, so the rack would have to be well behind the listening position and in front of the stone of the fireplace -- hiding that stone may make that end of the room look bad.

At this point, I am pretty optomistic about a solution consisting of:

1. Putting the amps under a coffee table, so they are really not contributing to the clutter against the wall,

2. Moving the speakers a bit closer together (which I must experiment with because speaker placement is critical to soundstage and acoustic performance),

3. Covering the speakers with faux plants when not in use, and

4. covering the equipment with faux plants. I believe the faux plant thing could look great, as it brings the lush outdoors (during spring and summer, everything is green) in.

If my wife prefers, I will have a cabinet built to conceal all of the equipment (with fake plants on top, if she likes.

Long story short, despite all of the angst my questions have evoked, I think we will end up with a system that not only sounds fantastic, but also looks good to my wife (I will like it no matter what).

Thanks,

Rick

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I would post this on an audiophile subreddit. Leave out the blaming the wife info and just ask how you should set this up so it doesn't look like a college dorm room with a crazy nice view.

Actually, I did that before coming here. I don't think there was any criticism (one guy did worry that people would spill wine on my equipment), but plenty of compliments. In fairness, many of the other setups pictured on that site actually do look like dorm room man caves, and most everyone on that site loves looking at speakers and equipment. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• kevin9408
    22 days ago

Maybe this, Theme Camouflage. Functional camouflage of a theme of a setting appealing to your wife.

For the back components a bench built to a theme with a top that will roll over to go behind the bench and the front made from a custom made switchable smart glass. Any theme can be incorporated into the design from a fairy tale, historical era, cartoon (like rocky and bullwinkle), sci-fi, superhero, nature, ect.... with even etched designs in the glass.

The Amps and speakers are more of a challenge and require mechanical automation and electronics.

This is how I envision it working. The amps and speakers sit on a platform of minimum height to house low profile casters and a servo motor drive wheel and are sitting behind screen wall dividers designed to the theme and are at sides of the room. Pushing the go button the Screens fold in and the platforms move to the plotted X Y axis points to travel in the room. Pushing return the platforms move back to the home position, docks to charge the battery, and the screen closes. The cords will need to be on a retractable cord reel of course.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    22 days ago

"This is how I envision it working. The amps and speakers sit on a platform of minimum height to house low profile casters and a servo motor drive wheel and are sitting behind screen wall dividers designed to the theme and are at sides of the room. Pushing the go button the Screens fold in and the platforms move to the plotted X Y axis points to travel in the room. Pushing return the platforms move back to the home position, docks to charge the battery, and the screen closes. The cords will need to be on a retractable cord reel of course. "

Kevin, I certainly admire and appreciate your out of the box thinking. It sounds prohibitively expensive, but setting that aside, there isn't a good place for that screen -- The wall on the right is entirely glass until it meets stone at about the middle of the room. I question whether the screen would either block view or look funny in front of a rock wall?

• freedomplace1
    22 days ago

So now I’m pondering tables :) and this is gorgeous. But a bit pricey... and you may or may not prefer the smoked glass.

https://www.chairish.com/product/6911318/renato-polidori-for-skipper-glass-and-marble-coffee-table-italy-1960s

I have some other tables that I’m also looking at, and I shall return tomorrow. I’ve been looking closer at your room, Rick, and those speakers really are quite sculptural; and now I also notice the lacquer black finish. I can see how they would be a nice complement to your piano, as you describe it.. Interesting shape and detail on those speakers. And I know this may be kind of out there, but they are sort of reminding me of giant chess pieces. Could be the King and Queen... Maybe if your wife could look at them that way, she might like them even more. :)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    22 days ago

I'm somewhat concerned with the concept of placing the mono block amplifiers underneath a coffee table. First, in doing so the table would need to be designed and styled to provide a unified/integrated apperance; while at the same time be functional as a coffee table, and cooridinate with the sofa/seating furnishings. Second, bringing the amplifiers closer may potentially be distracting, emphasizing their mass while further dispersing the equipment in the room.

From a general planning perspective, I believe this should be visualised as three zones. 1.) Seating/Furnishings, 2.) Speakers/Sculptures, and 3.) Audio processing/Screen projection.

Essentially each zone has a distinct purpose/function, designed and styled to serve their distinct purpose. These zones do not have to be the exact same matching style, they can vary as long as they are complementery. Though the general style of the home/cabin may lean rustic, this does not negate the use of modern or industrial styled elements. In fact a mix of complementary styles can be far more interesting than everything being the same.

Rick P. thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • freedomplace1
    22 days ago

I think something like this table might also be interesting, if a square works for your space, and if dimensions work for amps.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1704881427/patina-brass-mid-century-andre-coffee?ref=cart

• Kate Cowers
    22 days ago

Envy? Uh....no.

• freedomplace1
    22 days ago

Then this is also sort of sculptural like your speakers. Reminds me a bit of a guitar.

There are many possibilities. You could also have a table made in any dimensions and style that you want.

• Lynn Brenner
    22 days ago

Do you have a stereo system in your other home? If so, how did you and your wife compromise between aesthetics and sound quality?

I have to side with your wife here. That set-up looks like something dreamed up by a 20 year old who won the lottery.

• Kate
    22 days ago

I don't think your wife dislikes the equipment itself but more the fact that it's sort of looks 'orphaned" - standing on the floor with exposed cables.

Custom build either a large platform (sort of "place to zen out") with front storage where all the elements except the speakers will find their place,

That would require raising the door on the left / or making it a window to match the right side. If you don't want to do it - a smaller built-in that will accommodate all the elements that stand on the floor. If any of them need their tops to be open - again, customize the build.

PS - i didn't read all the comments, just scrolled, apologies, if someone has already suggested that .

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    22 days ago

"Do you have a stereo system in your other home? If so, how did you and your wife compromise between aesthetics and sound quality?"

We have a whole-house system that can't be seen. The equipment is racked in a closet and the speakers are all recessed into ceilings and walls. There is also a separate system in a TV room, with recessed speakers but also with a big subwoofer that I don't have (or need or want) at the cabin. Its equipment was in a rack in a corner of the room, but my wife didn't like the look of that look so I got a cabinet that contains the equipment, as well as the projector and screen case, and she is fine with the aesthetics of that. Neither of these systems come close to approaching the sound quality of the cabin system. There is really no location in the other house that is acoustically suitable for a system like the cabin's.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    22 days ago

"I don't think your wife dislikes the equipment itself but more the fact that it's sort of looks 'orphaned" - standing on the floor with exposed cables.

Custom build either a large platform (sort of "place to zen out") with front storage where all the elements except the speakers will find their place,

That would require raising the door on the left / or making it a window to match the right side. If you don't want to do it - a smaller built-in that will accommodate all the elements that stand on the floor. If any of them need their tops to be open - again, customize the build.

PS - i didn't read all the comments, just scrolled, apologies, if someone has already suggested that ."

The cables are largely hidden now, and will be entirely hidden when I am done. I don't think my wife is concerned about that -- she knows I also hate seeing cables and we have virtually no exposed cables at either house. The picture doesn't really show this, but none of the equipment against the wall is actually on the floor -- only the speakers and amps are, and the amps will sit on 4" amp stands (really intended just to isolate them from floor vibrations). Each of the components actually rests on a floating shelf that is about 8" above the floor. I am considering raising those shelves another 4" so that the top of the equipment is just below the window trim. Would that help? I can also make those shelves closer together -- right now there is about 2.5" between each component. If I reduced that to 1/2", the total width would be reduced by about 8" -- 4" on each side. Would that help?

I may have a cabinet built, but would prefer not to (heat dissipation concerns). So, if I can mitigate the problem by raising and narrowing, as described above, that will be my first choice. If that isn't satisfactory, I will try a faux plant covers (for the wall equipment and speakers) that can be removed when in use. I increasingly realize that to some people (few here, but to me and at least initially to my wife), the speakers are art. They are interesting to look at and they have the same finish as the piano. I don't think they need to be hidden. I am hopeful that my wife will like the look of the speakers once I get the amps out of the way, and do something to mitigate the equipment.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    22 days ago

Oh you just mentioned something that definitely needs to be factored in - protecting all this equipment from something spilling! While you and your wife are probably totally fine - you can't predict other's clumsiness.

That table idea is sounding better! Maybe a coffee table and end table if you need more space.

Sounds like you are getting ideas together.

Rick P. thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Rick P.
    Original Author
    22 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

"Okay, bear with my mediocre image editing, but how about something like this:

Build cabinetry that matches your trimwork with smoked glass doors to visually incorporate the equipment into the space."

Wow Blueberry -- that looks really really good to me. I will show that to my wife (when the time is right) and let you know. Your image editing skills are way better than mine. In fact, better than anything I could have imagined!

• Kate
    22 days ago

I didn’t know you are already building some cabinets. And yes I understand the equipment is not on the floor completely.

I personally wouldn’t hide a cool sound system or barricade it , instead just build a “frame” that takes into consideration all the requirements of sound transmission and also would be part of the house and place ..
    that’s what I was trying to convey .
    But since you mentioned you are building something you probably know better- you sound like you know your place and its vibe and tech requirements.

You can get a software that helps visualize projects . It’s a great way to try dozens of materials and ideas .

• Kate
    22 days ago

Yep, sth like what Blueberry offers .. Picture is really worth a thousand words 😁

• kevin9408
    22 days ago

Blueberry, that does look really good and I agree with rick. Nice job.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    22 days ago

"I didn’t know you are already building some cabinets. And yes I understand the equipment is not on the floor completely.

I personally wouldn’t hide a cool sound system or barricade it , instead just build a “frame” that takes into consideration all the requirements of sound transmission and also would be part of the house and place ..
    that’s what I was trying to convey .
    But since you mentioned you are building something you probably know better- you sound like you know your place and its vibe and tech requirements.

You can get a software that helps visualize projects . It’s a great way to try dozens of materials and ideas ."

I can't remember when the idea of a cabinet was first mentioned here, but one of the suggestions I made to my wife was that I could build a cabinet around the equipment. I didn't have a picture or example to show her, so that didn't get any traction, but I really like Butterfly's design and will show my wife soon.

I would prefer not to hide that equipment, but if the cabinet can be opened so that I can see the blue and green lights and read the displays, etc., while I am using it that is good enough for me, if that will help make my wife happy. It certainly seems that the vast majority of people here are offended by the site of that equipment.

I don't really know what the cabinet should look like (and Butterfly's design is better than anything I even imagined), but I would build it to not actually touch the isolation shelves that the equipment sits upon. That way, no vibration can be transferred.

Thank you for your thoughts.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    22 days ago

I appreciate the votes of confidence on the image editing ... I tried to get it to at least look like it was part of the woodwork, so it would at least give a decent sense of what I meant ... so long as one doesn't zoom in too much or pay attention to the shadows I only semi-fixed.

• Lynn Lou
    21 days ago

Blueberry FTW!! I think that is a great solution!

Rick...what an impressive system and view! I understand not wanting to hide the equipment in such a cabinet, but I think you might want to have a door there to protect the equipment from dust, spiders, etc. Having a door on a piano hinge that you could leave open when you're there and close when you leave might be a good option. Be sure to update once you decide on a plan.

Rick P. thanked Lynn Lou
  • Rick P.
    Original Author
    21 days ago

"I think something like this table might also be interesting, if a square works for your space, and if dimensions work for amps. "

That looks good to me, and I see no reason a square wouldn't work. I am going to print pictures of that, and all the suggestions and show my wife (when the time is right). I will let you all know.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    21 days ago

"So now I’m pondering tables :) and this is gorgeous. But a bit pricey... and you may or may not prefer the smoked glass.

https://www.chairish.com/product/6911318/renato-polidori-for-skipper-glass-and-marble-coffee-table-italy-1960s"

Sorry, I thought I responded to this earlier. I do like the look of that table (but will absolutely defer to my wife), The problem I see is that it is only 25" deep, while the amps are 30" long, and I really want some overhang on both ends so that no feet hit them.

Maybe we could add a king and queen sculptures to the other end of the room, to balance the speakers? Anyway, my picture doesn't do those speakers justice, so here iare some better pics from B&W:

• freedomplace1
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

The King & Queen sculptures on the other side of the room would be fun. :) Or maybe the fabulous King & Queen lamps that I discovered yesterday, too. I think I saved them, I’ll find them.

ETA: Here they are - https://www.chairish.com/product/1316047/staccato-lighting-king-queen-chess-piece-lamps-a-pair?

• acm
    21 days ago

There are very much things in front of the windows! How does that fit withiin the agreed rules? Are there no smaller speakers that would work?

• freedomplace1
    21 days ago

The speakers are very sleek. They are made to be displayed.... as is all of the equipment, really.

It’s often a choice (and/or should be a choice) as to whether someone wants to display this type of equipment - or hide it somewhere. And for some people, seeing the equipment is part of the experience. I come from a music and recording background as I mentioned, so I understand the idea of equipment being on display, and also the beauty and thought that goes into the design of some of this equipment.

Rick P. thanked freedomplace1
  • Rick P.
    Original Author
    21 days ago

There are very much things in front of the windows! How does that fit withiin the agreed rules? Are there no smaller speakers that would work?

Nothing I heard (and I auditioned all of the big names) sounds as good (to me). There are bigger, much more expensive speakers that may sound better (I had no opportunity to listen to those), but for the most part the reviews of those are not as laudatory as the reviews of my speakers. These speakers truly are remarkable -- maybe that is why they are used as primary studio monitor speakers at Abbey Road Studios. But for purposes of this discussion, please accept that no smaller speakers come close.

Also, note that my wife is not complaining that these speakers block the view. The original constraint, that I may have inaccurately paraphrased above, was that she didn't want anything up against the windows because that would look stupid. Being set 4 feet into the room, they don't block the windows in that sense. Also note that none of the other equipment blocks the windows in any sense.

I really think the big problem was the amps -- they are massive, and there are two of them, and being placed next to the speakers (which is ideal) they protrude significantly into the room. My wife has agreed that under a coffee table they won't be in the way of anything.

• Rick P.
    Original Author
    21 days ago

"The King & Queen sculptures on the other side of the room would be fun. :) "

I like the lamp idea and will show my wife that too. Thanks for all of your help and kind comments.

• freedomplace1
    21 days ago

My pleasure.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    21 days ago

Those giant chess pieces are awesome. Very cool.

When I look at your set up, while the equipment isn't on the floor, it has that appearance, which makes it look like there is a missing piece of furniture. It gives a cluttered feeling to the space. Furthermore, because the equipment at the back is visually small, it makes the forward items seem all the more massive. While it seems counterintuitive, in order to lessen the impact of the equipment overall, you actually want to make the items in the back bigger in order to ground the larger elements in the front. Adding a piece of furniture that spans the lot does this as well as unifies the elements to reduce the visual clutter. (Obviously, these are not clutter, but when they appear as a cluster of smaller objects, it looks busy and this more cluttered than fewer larger items.) The undersized coffee table stand-in (piano bench) isn't helping the visual clutter either. At least that's my two cents.

Rick P. thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • Rick P.
    Original Author
    21 days ago

"Those giant chess pieces are awesome. Very cool.

When I look at your set up, while the equipment isn't on the floor, it has that appearance, which makes it look like there is a missing piece of furniture. It gives a cluttered feeling to the space. Furthermore, because the equipment at the back is visually small, it makes the forward items seem all the more massive. While it seems counterintuitive, in order to lessen the impact of the equipment overall, you actually want to make the items in the back bigger in order to ground the larger elements in the front. Adding a piece of furniture that spans the lot does this as well as unifies the elements to reduce the visual clutter. (Obviously, these are not clutter, but when they appear as a cluster of smaller objects, it looks busy and this more cluttered than fewer larger items.) The undersized coffee table stand-in (piano bench) isn't helping the visual clutter either. At least that's my two cents."

That all makes sense and explains why the cabinet you drew for me is so appealing, even to me (who actually appreciates the look of the equipment).

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    16 days ago

My first wife never liked my Magneplanar speakers.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago

What about the second and third wives?