Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_350412276

Kitchen plumbing

R A
last month

need ideas renovating my kitchen and can’t run water pipe for dishwashersink through 2x4 because a multiple structural beam is blocking the passage and contractor doesnt want to weaken it for obvious reasons. but now he wants to run the pipe through the cabinets or under the floor. not happy

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

Is the DW not right net to the sink? Because it drains into the garbage disposal or a DW stubout on the sink, above the P trap. It MUST be above a P trap, to prevent backflow.

• R A
    Original Author
    last month

Dish washer is on the left of sink but i dont have a garbage disposalal

this is new loacation for sink but i really dont want this white pipe going my cabinets for me to have sink place there

• HU-48094157
    last month

Get a better plumber.

• klem1
    last month

Don't want a white pipe running your cabinets ,paint it blue.

• badgergal
    last month

If you have room, pull you cabinets forward and install them in front of that pipe. Your countertop will have to be deeper to cover the gap between the cabinets and the wall but you will appreciate the extra depth. We had to do that once to accomadate a gas pipe and it was nice to have the countertop be 2" deeper. In our case we had to have a cabinet end panel made 26" instead of 24 to also cover the gap.

• PRO
    Zumi
    last month

This was self designed disaster and no pros were involved prior or current.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    last month
    last modified: last month

@zumi

Yeah, that's my thinking also. Too often homeowners want to "play GC and designer" for a job, either because they don't know any better or because they think they can save a few bucks. A decent GC can often do a passable job on a simple kitchen remodel if they don't get into high-end finishes and such, but a designer makes a huge difference. A homeowner who has seen it done on TV and thinks that's they can run a job is a slow-motion train wreck waiting to happen.

Homeowners don't know what they don't know. However, the contractor doing the work should. They are in a position to know when a homeowner intends, either knowingly or without realizing, to take on the GC role. Best to clarify the roles and responsibilities up front and get agreement, or walk away and not take the job.

I've made a similar comment on here before about homeowners assuming the role of GC - until something goes wrong - and then then it's all the contractor's responsibility.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last month

RA:

Your contractor is correct as is badgergal. I've had to pull cabinets forward to accommodate drain lines. The deeper countertops are a feature, not a bug.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    last month

I'd also look into just having some of those cabinets built 2 in shallower. Most cabinets are being built to order anyway. It wouldn't be all of the cabinets, just those.

• R A
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank everyone for your comments.