Holy Ham! Hubby bought a 14 pounder!

nancyjane_gardener

First off, I'm hoping the bone will fit in either a pot or a large crockpot! I'll start with a 15 beans soup during our cold time starting tomorrow! (after 3 days in the 70s!)

What in the heck else do you do with ham???? We're low carbing, so pasta dishes are out. I'm up for ideas!

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Crustless quiche. Frittata. Ham loaf. Muffinless eggs Benedict. If you can stand a little carb, crepes made with low carb flour filled with chopped ham in a cheese sauce (there are recipes for flourless cheese sauce, Heston Blumenthal's is good).

The bone should fit in your crockpot as there should be a joint in there. I get a 7kg ham for Christmas every year.

1 Like Save    
plllog

If you have freezer room, you can make packets of sandwich slices (lettuce wraps) and freeze them for when you're not tired of ham. Same for scraps for soup or crepes or whatnot.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Two of my favorite low carb things with ham are soups...especially ham and cabbage soup and broccoli and ham soup. The broccoli soup has tomatoes, too; the cabbage, just some onion, garlic, celery, the cabbage and ham. The recipes I have are too old to be online, but I'm sure there are some online if you need a recipe.

Save    
Islay Corbel

I'd freeze it. That's so much ham!!! Here are some ideas. Many are carb free. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/leftover-ham-recipes

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

14 lbs is huge. Our NewYears ham was 8 lbs bone-in. I froze packets for fritattas, omelets, ham/bean/cabbage soups...packets of chunks cut off the bone and some thick slices for a Sunday dinner or two with braised cabbage and roasted vegetables or colcannon. This might be my last pack we are having tonight. Soup. (but they seem to breed like rabbits in the freezer). My dad likes a ham brunch hash with feta and eggs cracked on top.

I don't think i have something large enough so i would cut off some large-ish chunks and freeze since they come fully cooked.

Save    
party_music50

Depending on how it's cut, I divide a ham up into packets for sandwiches, soup, etc., and then freeze it.

Just wanted to say that I often use my electric skillet when I need to cook something large like your huge ham bone.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

cut it into chunks and pressure can it. I do mine in pints; just put up eight pints last week ... 75 min at 15 lbs pressue [my elevation].

1 Like Save    
Lars

I'm sure she plans on cutting it up into portions and freezing them, but she won't want to leave them in the freezer forever. The question should be, what to do with defrosted ham.

I don't have ideas that are low carb, however, that have not been mentioned, except maybe omelets. Normally I use it for sandwiches, but that would not be low carb.

You could make wraps or quesadillas with low carb tortillas. I've made deviled ham that I served in cabbage leaves or wrapped in rice paper instead of on bread.

2 Likes Save    
morz8 - Washington Coast

Thatsa lotta ham 😊 I wish you could send some this way. We have a friend who has recently lost his wife and we are jointly as a group trying to keep him fed. None of us realized he cooks only a little and basics like breakfast things. I've been buying Costco half hams for him - those seem to get used. Baked one night then grilled or cold sandwiches from the leftovers.

We like ham, and use it for all mentioned above. I will sometimes grill ham steaks, marinating with your favorite flavors. Finely chopped for ham salad sandwiches. I like it with butter beans or flageolet (my fav), also split peas. Dishes more simple than 15 bean soup. I've used it in chili. With grilling season coming up, also baked beans that I tend to make more savory and not so heavy with maple syrup or brown sugar is a popular side dish here, always with a little ham or bacon added in. My baked beans have pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic and whatever else is handy in my kitchen that day. They are always eaten and leftovers requested to-go. You're doing low carb but we like ham with scalloped potatoes. I wonder how that could be shifted to a baked brown rice, ham and cheese dish - you could get away with only a little cheese if using one with a bold enough flavor. My freezer is my friend, I almost always have ham scraps for one quick additive or another in my freezer. DH likes sauteed cabbage, I'm sure I could come up with an acceptable skillet of cabbage with ham.

That's all without googling 'uses for leftover ham' that I'm sure you know to do.....😊

Best of luck! And I've found I need to be very specific when handing DH a shopping list. I've even printed photos of the product I want that go to the store with him so he comes home with fewer surprises. He's improving.

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Well, I understand about giving him a shopping list, but he said how bout one of those spiralized hams for Easter? I thought Hey what the heck! One less thing to worry about cooking! He's learned his lesson!

Save    
agmss15

Cold gray rainy spring day here in Maine. Thinking about split pea soup. Especially if you have a bone for flavoring. I have to be in the mood for split pea soup which either I love or not so much.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 14 Things You Need to Start Doing Now for Your Spouse’s Sake
You have no idea how annoying your habits at home can be. We’re here to tell you
Full Story
Life Fun Houzz: 14 Signs You’re an Interiors Geek
Are you obsessed with interiors? It’s OK, you can admit it — you’re among friends
Full Story
Bathroom Design Dream Spaces: Spa-Worthy Showers to Refresh the Senses
In these fantasy baths, open designs let in natural light and views, and intriguing materials create drama
Full Story
For more than 35 years, Re-Bath® of Pittsburgh has helped homeowners convert worn, outdated bathrooms into... Read More
Hope Restoration is Central Ohio's only full-service, design/build general contractor capable of every facet of... Read More