Any suggestions for a very secure non-web-based email?

biwako_of_abi

My husband and I do some work for a translation company in another country. They, concerned for the security of trade secrets, I suppose, demanded from the start that we use the email offered by our Internet provider, which would not be Web-mail. Now that provider, Cox Communications, has sold its email service to Yahoo, which does not meet their standards. Our TV and telephone also rely on cable from Cox. In this area, I hardly know how to go about finding an email provider that would be more secure than webmail, or if there even is such. Depending on what it would cost, we might not even find it financially feasible, as the pay is very low with the present exchange rate; so we may end up simply cancelling the arrangement, but being old, we have been finding that income useful. Any help much appreciated.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

There's no reason to reinvent the wheel for one user location and one email destination. Every organization has whatever security it feels comfortable with to allow its employees remote access to systems to send and receive business emails. Simply ask them to put you on their system and call it a day.

Save     Thanked by biwako_of_abi
biwako_of_abi

Thanks. We'll see what they are willing to do, but technically we are not their employee, but our own little company that has a contract with them, and in certain other matters, they have not been very cooperative. Hopefully, since they do seem to value our work, they may work something out. At our level of computer knowledge, I can't imagine what that might be.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Many companies with very high standards and requirements of privacy and security use the commercial version of Gmail. My firm does - with tens of thousands of employees in the US and for which maintenance of absolute security is subject to both federal legal and regulatory oversight as well as professional standards of conduct.

I can't speak to how much or how little the free version of Gmail has of the same protections the commercial flavor does. As I said above, the use of password protected files and even VPN will likely deter all but the most focused state sponsored bad guys. If the material is such that a third party outside translator can be used, that speaks to some exaggeration of the real need for security. If your customer were the CIA or some similar organization, your work would be done on the customer's premises and you would have appropriate security clearances. In the absence of that and if they envision it okay for the material to pass over the internet, well, then that's something at the opposite end of the spectrum of how much concern there really is and needs to be.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fences and Gates Modern Fencing for a More Secure Home
Deter would-be burglars without robbing your home of style, by installing a modern fence like one of these
Full Story
Budget Decorating How to Refresh Your Kitchen on Any Budget
With the right ingredients you can make this key room more stylish and functional, whether you spend $100 or $10,000
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story