Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Not one, but two islands...

palimpsest
last month

And 15" wide on top to boot.

I saw this HGTV episode while on the elliptical at the gym, the only time I see TV.

I wonder how the homeowners felt about these after living in the kitchen for a while. I am thinking the novelty wore off.

Comments (14)

• Kendrah
    last month

It reminds me of a fancy fast food restaurant, like someone should be standing there taking your order. Or an obstacle course where you can practice hurdles.

• aem04
    last month
    last modified: last month

The two pulls/knobs on each drawer is what is what is making my eyes hurt. The drawers are not wide, but there are so many of them. I guess the same person who said ”let’s have two narrow islands” also said ”let’s have a lot of narrow drawers, and hey, let’s put two pulls on each one, ‘MORE IS MORE’”.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last month

They are actually pretty wide drawers, there is a lot of foreshortening in the photo.

• aok27502
    last month

Was there a prep sink? How does one get the boiling pasta pot from the stove to the sink?

• chicagoans
    last month

Working with the two skinny islands...

• anj_p
    last month

I don't even think the two islands are the worst part. It's the apparently L shaped wooden island extension and the refrigerator around the corner out in Siberia. This kitchen is a complete obstacle course. At least you get a workout...?Quartz backsplash behind a 48" range tops it right off. I hope these people don't cook.

I wonder if eventually they'll just start ducking under that table to get to the fridge.

• vinmarks
    last month

The counters are porcelain so the back splash behind the range might be ok.

Here are more pics:

https://www.jasmine-roth.com/blogs/hgtv/help-i-wrecked-my-house-s3e10

I do not get the point of those narrow islands.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

One heavy guy leaning against them will snap them right off- what’s the footprint- 8”? So weird. Are we sure this isn’t AI? (That’s humor, it’s probably worse that’s it’s real AND getting promoted)

• vinmarks
    last month

Their dining table is also a pool table. Not sure how you can even sit at that pool table table. There is no leg space.

Looks like a hike from the fridge to the sink.

The butcher block table extension looks like it is sagging.

Barely any counter space next to the range.

• anj_p
    last month

I stand corrected on the backsplash - looked like quartz but yes you're right it's probably porcelain. Regardless that would have been the least offensive thing about it. Seeing more pics - it might be pretty but it's cringe-y for function.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last month

It is porcelain: they did choose porcelain on the show.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

"Their dining table is also a pool table. Not sure how you can even sit at that pool table table. There is no leg space."

You'd be surprised. I had a pool table in the basement and had a wood top made for it that I'd put on it for parties. Made for a great makeshift table for large holiday meals and was pretty comfortable to sit at.

• eam44
    last month

OK speaking of HGTV, I was home with a stomach bug a few weeks ago and started watching (please don’t judge me) Brother Vs. Brother with the Property Brothers - from season 3 on where it’s just the twins, no teams. It had me wondering who actually designs those kitchens. Their choices seem to vary a lot from season to season, and they go for a lot of gadgetry. One of them used invisicook (I mean, come on). Another had a 9’ barrier island. In a very high end home in Hancock Park they used double islands (one for cooking, one for… spectating? No table). Some of the kitchens were beautiful, at least one was built for giants (cabinets up to the very high ceiling, counters at bar height). It makes you wonder who’s making those choices.

• lharpie
    last month

Ugh! i’d be so disappointed if i spent 120k on this kitchen! it is definitely up there for worst cooking triangle ever, especially in a kitchen that would be easy to arrange nicely! and they had ok countertop next to stove but ruined it with those cabinets plopped down in the middle of it. the islands are just ridiculous.