Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_928297542

Driftwood cabinets + Taj Mahal Countertops + ?? Backsplash?

Ang
last month

Yes, there are so SO many posts about Taj Mahal countertops ans backsplash, but most are white. We have a unique combo and we’re having a difficult time deciding on a backsplash. Maybe we should have bought a third slab and just done the backspash in TM, but we didn’t sooo… What are your ideas? ALSO, what would you do aboit this curve? Backsplash around the left corner to where the counter ends or stop it before the curve? If we go around the curve, it would be hard to lay tile to match it. I was told we should not tile inside the windowsill, right?

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    last month
    last modified: last month

w the bigger ? better ? island more of a feature [ I think} and pendants ? and stools yet to be installed......[ bringing focus forward away from the wall ] I'd SKIP the backpslash........the angles on the perimeter arent that great for creating value w a tile run. its a perfectly fine perimeter... Id get durable paint that you can wipe as needed [ Paint IS durable now] .....focus on island details / some floor mats/ countertop accessories and forget about tile. Like your space ....Good Luck...

Rug Unique Loom Estrella Pink Runner 2' 7 x 10' 0 · More Info

Rug Unique Loom Estrella Pink Runner 2'7x10'0 · More Info

Katharina, Machine Made Area Rug, Blue, 2'x6' · More Info

Set of 2 Bar Stool, Chrome Base With Round Vinyl Seat & Curved Open Back · More Info

Lush Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool - Trumpet Base, Teal · More Info

Ang thanked herbflavor
  • eam44
    last month
    last modified: last month

Are you planning to tile only those 6 inches where the previous backsplash sat, or do you want to tile up to the bottom of the upper cabinets? Either is fine, but you have a lot of outlets and switches, and tiling around them means you will have to slightly change each one to stand proud of the tile. I also wouldn't tile around your curved corner, I’d stop tiling at the cabinet and just repair the wall in that corner. You clearly want neutrals for the permanent items in your space - you can bring in color in other ways. Do you have any inspiration images you can share?

The tile below is by Fireclay Tile, but there are far less expensive options that would give a similar look. You could consider a handmade look in the Cloe White tile by Bedrosian. If budget allows a beautiful shape, consider that.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

I would just tile to the end of the upper cabinet anyway.

I like that gardinia subway posted above ^

paint the wall SW Taupe of the morning would compliment. the photo is Taj the subway is a nice compliment.

• sprtphntc7a
    last month

i would pick a color from the granite and go from there...

add color with accents that u can easily change with the season or when u get tired of them...

something simple though, no marble look, your counters are the star and the cabs have 'movement' with the wood grain... a busy B/S will detract from the counters and cabs. then u will have visual overload and nothing will look 'right'.

good luck!!

Ang thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Boxerpal
    last month

Maybe something beige with a bit of gray like your TM

Saint Paul Craftsman · More Info

Flawless Farmhouse · More Info

Vintage Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Nantucket Bijoux · More Info

Ang thanked Boxerpal
  • chispa
    last month

Lots of photos on Houzz if you search for "stained cabinets with taj mahal" then select "in Photos". Also search "driftwood cabinet with taj mahal".

This forum tends to be conservative, and a bit boring, when it comes to backsplashes. From a few feet away most Taj Mahal is quite boring and just looks beige, so don't be afraid of pattern and/or color, if that is what you like.

Hilltop Hacienda · More Info

Dimensional Cement Tile by Presidio Tile · More Info

Contemporary on the Cliffs · More Info

Spanish White Mediterfanean · More Info

Orinda Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Callinan Spanish Remodel · More Info

Pelican Landing remodel · More Info

Charleston Driftwood European-style Cabinets · More Info

Contemporary, clean, warm kitchen · More Info

Taj Mahal Kitchen · More Info