Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_840172242

Doors sticking to door jamb after a light prime and paint

LC- Bklyn
last month

I recently had pre-hung Reeb Interior Primed Stile & Rail Doors installed in our home. These doors are constructed of solid wood with an MDF skin on top.

After painting them with Benjamin Moore Regal Semi Gloss Paint, the doors started sticking to the door stop molding on the hinge side, leading to peeling paint. This issue has significantly impacted the appearance of the doors. How can I address and resolve this problem?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    PPF.
    last month

I'm not familiar with Benjamin Moore Regal, but I imagine its more of a wall paint than a trim paint.

I've used this paint on two recent jobs and been happy with its performance. It sprays and brushes well, and it's fast drying. I have sanded it after 3 or 4 days without issue. Benjamin Moore probably has something similar.

To repair your doors, I'd use this spackle to fill in where the paint has pulled off the doors. Apply to the problem spots with a putty knife, lightly sand so it is flat, and then paint.

• ci_lantro
    last month

Say goodbye to long dry times with SnapDry™ Door & Trim paint. This water-based door and trim paint dries to the touch in as little as one hour, so you don't have to worry about leaving doors open for hours after painting due to sticking . In addition to its quick dry time, this acrylic latex paint is also resistant to dirt, fingerprints and UV weathering.

• Faron79
    last month

"Dry to the touch" in 1 hour....

Most paints are!

* NOTE: CURED-thru and fully BONDED to primers often takes many days.....sometimes much longer.

* My key phrase above, "Under pressure", like in a closed door that was painted. New paint, no matter how fast it's labeled to be "Dry to the touch....", is still very vulnerable to tacking onto another surface UNDER PRESSURE.

* BM's Advance Cabinet & Trim paint is mostly an OIL-Based paint that can be tinted with water-based colorants. There's very little odor to it however. Requires 12-16 HOURS between coats however!!!

Faron

• ci_lantro
    last month
    last modified: last month

Faron, if you are going to quote, don't just cherry pick a phrase.

dries to the touch in as little as one hour, so you don't have to worry about leaving doors open for hours after painting due to sticking

OP needs a block resistant paint. PPG's Break Through is one. Dries very quickly so it can be a challenge to apply. Best sprayed but I managed to brush & roll it on Shaker/ style doors & drawers.

PPG Break Through Paint

Link is to satin; also available in semi-gloss.

• Faron79
    last month

I realize what I quoted, and meant exactly what I explained. Marketing phrases & reality SOMETIMES co-exist. There have been many, MANY things "CLAIMED" over the years, but......

Faron

• LC- Bklyn
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everyone! These doors were painted around 2 years ago and they are still causing problems. It seems like they are getting worse now. I will try touching them up again and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, I may have to lightly sand them and switch to Benjamin Moore Advance paint. I have used that for doors and trim in other parts of the house and it has worked great. I have also used BM Regal as a trim paint in other areas of the house without any issues, but unfortunately, it hasn't been successful with these 4 doors.

Fingers crossed!!

• millworkman
    last month

" These doors were painted around 2 years ago and they are still causing problems. "

I do not think putting more paint on top of this will fix it. It will just give you more have hardened paint to remove.

• cat_ky
    last month
    last modified: last month

I agree. Sand them all down, and buy a good quality sealing bonding primer, after cleaning them well and prime and repaint, and leave the doors open for several days, so it can cure properly. Adding more to whats already there will accomplish nothing. You may check too, to see if doors are binding a bit, and if so, maybe a bit of extra sanding will take care of that problem. When I paint doors or cabinet doors, I dont fully close them for 6 weeks, and thats with the correct type paints.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County