Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roisey

Kitchen backsplash Dilemma

Roro
last month

We are getting ready to install our kitchen backsplash using 3x6 white subway tiles, but our biggest dilemma is where it ends due to the light switches being in the way.

Comments (10)

• theresa21
    last month

The best thing to do is to move the switches over to the right, and then end the tile with the upper cabinet. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/z0E4ZwAPJ-Y

• ptreckel
    last month

Is that an old phone jack? Is it necessary? If not, remove it before you tile. And…move the switches to the right, too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Move the electrical, get rid of the phone jack and contrary to the advice above?

Tile ends at the countertop edge. Why? Because tile is simply the decorative replacement for a standard 4 inch counter riser.

Where does THAT end? At the counter edge. Because stopping short would look like a mistake. Same will happen if you tile that way.

(When you move the switches? replace with Lutron, much nicer

• arcy_gw
    last month

Remove the land line jax if not used. The other's are there due to code/studs etc. You need to tile around them.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

What tile are you using? I always paint the switch and outlet covers the same color as the wall.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Lutron is great for plugs and switches come in a ton of colors to disappear as much as possible I agree to the end of the counter and the phone jack is not needed for sure I think I would just do the new plugs and switches to match the wall color and tile only to the bottom of the switches like the look of the 4" pice of the counter Unless you are very good at tiling and have a really good tile saw keep it simple .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Cut open the wall, slide the outlet over, and install tile. I guess I’m the outlier here as I align the tile with the upper cabinet not the counter.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Lol............so you're left in the most noticeable, eye catching spot....like you ran out of tile? and every time you spray and wipe that counter that stupid one inch will be there in your face with nothing but drywall behind it.

If that was a counter 4" riser? You'd shoot the fabricator who did that, yes? No?

You could ask a thousand people the right or wrong, and 500 would say to the upper cabinet edge, and 500 would say to the counter edge.

I say I would KILL a tile guy who ended short of the counter. : )

• T T
    last month

To make it easier to move the switches, consider a compact style like this one that only ends up taking the space of 1 traditional switch, assuming dexterity and smaller switches is not a usability concern for you:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-3-Rocker-Combination-Switch-White-R62-01755-0WS/100356847

• theresa21
    last month

I think where to end the BS is more nuanced than to follow the simple rule to end it like you would a 4" BS. The 4" BS never tied in directly with the upper cabinet, so for that reason it totally made sense to end it at the end of the countertop. However, when a BS ties in with the upper cabinet, then it's a different situation. When you install a full BS beyond the upper cabinet, my eyes go directly to the "bent-elbow" or "appendage" sticking out to the side of the cabinet rather than to where the countertop/BS meet, which is lower than eye-level and is on a different plane. However, if the countertop and the BS are the same material, then yes, I agree that the BS should end at the countertop, but I still think it looks off to me and I would much rather have the BS enclosed on both sides by a tall cabinet or boxed-in by corners for a nicely-appointed-look.