Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rezo_pakhi

chipped kitchen cabinet drawers

Rezo Pakhi
last month

Hello!

I’m moving into this home and the previous owner had liners in all her kitchen drawers. I asked the cleaners to remove all the liners but now everything is chipped! How do I fix these or cover them up with a smooth finish? Any tips would be appreciated!

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    last month

Get a piece of 1/8" Masonite or some other smooth surface material, cut to size and drop in place.

• ffpalms
    last month

I like to use scraps of vinyl sheet flooring. They are inexpensive from flooring stores, easy to cut to size, and removable for cleaning.

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! I think I was thinking more in line with what you guys were thinking! @ffpalms and @millworkman

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

Also do you guys think it’s a good idea to apply wood filler to the base of the drawer, sand, and then paint? Or it’s just not worth that hassle ??

• ffpalms
    last month

I wouldn’t bother with fixing the damage. Once you’ve inserted the liners it just won’t matter.

• Kendrah
    last month

The drawers are shallow. First purchase any silverware trays or drawer dividers you want and see if you even have an extra 1/8" in depth to occupy with a thicker kind of board material or if would prevent the drawer from closing once full of belongings. (Yes the woman whose knifes in a drawer holder allow the drawer to close within millimeters.

I'd get shelf liner, cut to size, and sit it in the drawer with the backing still on so it has some heft and the color and ships won't show through as much.

I wouldn't spend time sanding or painting.

• chicagoans
    last month

I used cork for lining drawers and shelves. I like that it’s cushy and things don’t slide around on it, and it doesn’t stick to the drawer or shelf. I ordered a big roll from Widgetco.com on a recommendation from this site. Congrats on your home purchase!

• cat_ky
    last month

Looks a bit to me, like some of the liner is still stuck to the bottom of the drawer, so no, I would never try to paint it. Just put some new lining in there. I too, like left over pieces of either formica or vinyl in mine.

• Izzy Mn
    last month
    last modified: last month

I needed new drawer and cabinet liner. I used peel and stick vinyl floor tiles instead of contact paper. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

I used it under the sink where there was a little water damage from dripping sink. And needed a bit of glue in a bumpy area I smoothed down.

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

How did you cut the tiles to fit your drawer? Also can you please send me a link of what kinda vinyl tiles your talking about I think I’m confusing two different things in my mind

• HU-910663146
    last month

Would have been better to put new liner over the old liner. Live and learn for all of us.

• Izzy Mn
    last month
    last modified: last month

I purchased the peel and stick tiles from a big box store. They were about $1 per tile, they were the cheapest ones they had. I used a utility knife to cut along with a ruler for straight lines. It doesn't take much to cut them, the cheap ones are pretty thin. After they were cut I checked that they fit then peeled off paper to stick them down. They don't stick really well at first so I weighted them down with heavy cans of food etc. By the end of the day they were stuck on better. After a week they were stuck on really well. I did put the tiles in my kitchen and a bathroom drawers too. Made them much easier to keep clean.

These are the tiles I used.

https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/vinyl-flooring/vinyl-tile/armstrong-flooring-trade-peel-n-stick-12-x-12-self-adhesive-vinyl-tile/24012061/p-1642874268210457-c-6619.htm

I got the idea to use these because my sister bought a home that someone had used sheet vinyl flooring in some of the kitchen cabinets but it was just tacked down, not glued and curIed up in some spots. I thought it was basically a good idea. But the peel and stick work and look better, I think.

My mom thought it was a good idea and she needed to replace some contact paper in her cupboards. I spent a day working on it and got most of it done.

Utility knife:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand-tools/utility-knives/masterforce-reg-retractable-utility-knife/mf90815/p-2728080946202865-c-1484756386273.htm

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!