Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inaimahi

PLEASE HELP! Reglazed my sink, NEED protective pad / mat!

Nai Q
2 months ago

Everything was spic and span when my sister lived here however, I cannot say it is the same with any other houseguest.

Understandably, reglazed products require consciousness, gentleness and daily upkeep.

Upon renting my space or lending it to friends I see scratches from pots, pans and plates. I need to eliminate this from happening again!

Originally, I was told to not place anything in the sink with suction cups (hence I placed nothing and my sister and I were cautious) however there is a dire need for a mat without suction cups or protective sink alternatives that are SAFE FOR REGLAZED ceramic or porcelain sinks! What material should they be?

Is there a product whose shape would allow me to cover the entire sink including the raised middle section?

Definitely not interested in adhesive options.

Please please help your expertise and experience is needed!

PS. Any links you provide will be helpful!

Comments (14)

• chispa
    2 months ago

A sink should be utilitarian, specially if it is used by renters or lots of guests. A sink that needs to be "bubble wrapped" or "idiot proofed" for daily use isn't very practical. If you are going to rent it out, then you need to accept that it will be used and possibly scratched and damaged.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Search on ”double kitchen sink mat” & quite a few options pop up. All pretty inexpensive & without suction cups. The search listed several with a matching sink divider mat too. Just look for a close fit with sink measurements & drain hole match. The silicon mats should be safe for a reglazed sink. Those marks from pots & pans can be scrubbed out - don’t use abrasive scrubbers or powder. Cerama Bryte for glass cooktops might work. I agree with chispa that if your place is rented or used by others, damage to everything is a hazard. However, most people don’t intentionally damage things & having the protective materials in place certainly will go a long way towards mitigating any damage. Nice job on your kitchen update from your before / after photo.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Do you happen to know what was used on your sink and backsplash? The note says multispec for the countertop, but does not say for the sink and backsplash.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

@beesneeds Will have to wait for Nai to reply but I think all the surfaces were glazed over. The backsplash & sink are white & the countertop is “multispec” - maybe there’s speckles in the black that I can’t see in pic. If you zoom in on photo you can see the tile lines are still there - that’s why I think the original surfaces have been recoated. There are companies that do this work - the resurfacing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

Your sink is doomed, no matter what you do short of not using it. Reglazing is fine for tubs and showers, but the reglazers never seem to remove the disposal and drain flanges. This makes a perfect spot for the dissimilar movement created by hot water between the glaze and the underlying sink to begin peeling.

Sink replacement is your only cost effective option. Unfortunately, that probably means another top replacement for you as that may be more cost effective than a custom made sink.

A stainless steel basin rack may prevent some marks, but won't postpone the inevitable.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

KC- multispec is the name of a resurfacing/glazing product, it comes in a bunch of colors. I was curious because it said multispec but not the color (black) for the counters, and a color (white) for the backsplash and sink but not the product used. I wonder if the company also used multispec in white for the backsplash and sink, or a different product.

• Nai Q
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@beesneeds yes @KW PNW Z8 is correct the sink and backsplash were recoated in white while the countertop is black with specs

• Nai Q
    Original Author
    2 months ago

beesneeds good observation! The spec is only on the black. No specs in the white just a solid white. I believe the same product was used as countertops with exception to color.

• Nai Q
    Original Author
    2 months ago

SORRY GUYS, the sink is RAW IRON STEEL and it was coated with whatever they used to coat it with back in the 40’s and 50’s I had it reglazed with whatever is written on that receipt!

• Nai Q
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Cast iron family

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

No, I'm not asking if there are specks or if the color is solid. I'm asking if the product they used on the counter was Multispec. This stuff:

In the note it's written as multispec on the counters. But it did not say what product was used for the sink and backsplash.

• PRO
    Minardi
    2 months ago

This is a futile effort. Replace the sink. Refinishing a sink is a waste of money and effort. It will always peel and chip.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

"Refinishing a sink is a waste of money and effort."

Refinishing a sink with an applied coating is a waste of money and effort. Stainless steel and Corian sinks can be easily refinished to new by a DIYer with nothing but abrasives and a cheap random orbital sander.

• iroll
    2 months ago

"Is there a product whose shape would allow me to cover the entire sink including the raised middle section?"

If you search for Sink Saddle you will find options for the raised middle section.