Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dslieberman

help me choose an induction range, please!

Daina L
2 months ago

Hi all,

I'm struggling to choose an induction range. I'm looking at this LG, this GE Profile, this Cafe, and this Bosch. There seem to be very minimal differences. Any suggestions, thoughts, or firsthand experience with these? I have researched and researched and just have not been able to make a final decision. There's also another LG out there now for $1900 which seems to be virtually the same as the pricier one but without the tap oven door to turn on the light feature.

Some people swear by the Bosch, but I've also heard a lot of negative stories. We have a Bosch dishwasher which has had 4 service calls this year (year 4 of its life), so I'm wary of Bosch at this point.

I am replacing an old electric range with a somewhat broken burner, so my connection/amps/etc. is fine for induction. I'm not sure if I want knobs or touch panel; I lean toward knobs, but I have a toddler, so there needs to be some kind of child lock or I'll have to add something (she can already open zippers, diaper cream, ziplocs, and even a child proof capped bottle). I will definitely get an extended warranty.

I haven't been able to see ANY of these in person which is super frustrating. So if you have any one of them and could provide a real life photo, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Comments (24)

• wdccruise
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have the discontinued LG LSE4617ST which was CR-recommended and works fine. (I wanted knobs too.) The newer LSIL6334FE and LSIL6336FE should work similarly. I like the 0-9 keypad which replaces the up/down buttons to set the time, temperature, etc. I'd carefully compare the spec sheets to decide whether the features of the LSIL6334FE are worth $600 more than those of the LSIL6336FE. The most notable features appear to be the higher powered large element in boost mode, the warming zone, and more oven modes. Cooktops can be locked.

Yeah, you won't generally see induction ranges in stores. But all the LG slide-in ranges look similar so if you can view a radiant or even gas model, you'll be looking at something very similar.

Important: compare the required location of any range's electrical outlet with the location of your outlet. If the wall outlet is in the wrong location (i.e., too high), you won't be able to push the range flush against the wall.

• rebasheba
    2 months ago

I also was a knobs-only shopper -- and having used a friend's touchpad range, I know it was the right call for me. Also consider the size and arrangement of the burners and how you like to cook.

I have the Cafe double oven range and pretty much love it. It does have a controls locking feature, although it is locked just by pressing and holding a touch button, maybe your kid would be able to figure that out? The great thing about induction is that even if she does turn it on, if there are not pans on it, absolutely nothing will happen.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@wdcruise, do the burners heat the full size they measure? I keep seeing people talking about that with some of these ranges (not necessarily LG). Thank you!

• kiniyagirl
    2 months ago

I have the discontinued LG LSE4616. I bought it because it had knobs and was a great price for my needs. It is the step down version of what wdccruise has. This is in a second home that also occasionally gets rented out, my guests have found it easy to operate and intuitive to use. I love the ease of the induction top and have been very happy cooking on it. I do think that the touch pad #'s are a nice change ( I am not a fan of the up and down arrow that are on mine). I would also spring for the roll out rack in the oven if this was in my permanent home. The one caveat that is that I never use the self clean function for the oven, I am concerned that the electronics are too delicate for the high heat of the self clean function.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Yes, except for the largest (11") element. The induction element beneath the glass appears to be about 8" in diameter. The photo below is of an 11" diameter pan whose bottom is 9" in diameter. That's an IKEA 365 pan; a thicker pan might help disperse the heat better though it works okay for my modest cooking.

• Isaac
    2 months ago

I thought i was set on knobs, but tried the GE touchscreen and liked it, to my surprise. Gunk can’t gum up a touchscreen the way it can a knob.

Based on value, reliability, service availability, and burner layout we went with the GE Profile and have not regretted it. The LG felt cheap to us in person.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

@Isaac: "The LG felt cheap to us in person."

What was "cheap" about the LG induction ranges? The Profile is $1100 more than the LSIL6334FE. Why is it a better value? How do you know it's more reliable?

• theresa21
    2 months ago

I have the Bosch Benchmark range. I prefer touch controls because the controls are super easy to clean, and the touchpad is not difficult to get use to. After decades of using knobs on various electric and gas ranges in my past. I would never want to go back to soaking and scrubbing knobs again because I am spoiled by the convenience of a touchpad. An induction touchpad is so easy to use and clean, just a wipe and buff-dry and it looks brand new.

You are absolutely right that the panel-lock feature is a super-nice feature with toddlers in the house. I no longer have toddlers in my home, however, I often lock the panel when cleaning the range.

When making your choice, make sure the induction hobs match your style of cooking. I know that on mine the largest hob is situated towards the middle-back which is ok for me because that is not a hob I frequently use--otherwise it would be very annoying to me because of the reach.

Everytime I use the Benchmark flex-bridge element, I am turning on the whole bridge element because I always use medium-size pots on the flex. When I don't turn on the whole-bridge element a portion of the pot remains cool--which is very annoying. Look at the 800 hob arrangement in the photo. I would not like this arrangement because there are two small hobs in the front with two bigger hobs in the back. This would be extremely annoying to me. However, I would be more than satisfied if the medium-sized left hob were in the front and the smaller left hob were in the back. I'm sure the reason why Bosch decided on this arrangement was because if they arranged the hobs as I would prefer--with the medium hob in the front--then the small hob would sit really far back and would be fairly useless because of the reach.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

I was also a knobs-only shopper; I had an LG in a previous condo (now discontinued), and now I have the LG that you are looking at. Frankly, I preferred the previous one - this on didn't come with a slide-out oven rack, but it's a very minor difference. I'm happy with my LG Induction range, and have no regrets. I hope to never to back to cooking with a "regular" electric range again.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@wdccruise, have you experienced anything with the enamel? I've seen some reviews complaining about the blue interior enamel chipping. I haven't seen too many other complaints about the LGs. Thanks.

• barncatz
    2 months ago

My only comment is to think about how you cook and what you plan for venting. We installed a downdraft vent behind our Samsung Chef induction range. The downdraft captures steam from the large hob in the back really well. Our largest hob is in the right front though, where we tend to do skillet cooking, and the vent is too far to capture much of any grease splatter. It's not a big deal since we're not frequent fryers, ha. We also have knobs and the top can be locked from the touch screen that controls the oven.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

"have you experienced anything with the enamel?"

Crud came off, enamel didn't. I didn't try the EasyClean function. LG warns:

"do not use oven cleaners, harsh chemical cleaners, bleach, vinegar, steel scouring pads, or abrasive pads or cleansers to clean the oven, as they can permanently damage the oven surface."

Daina L thanked wdccruise
  • Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I liked the Cafe in person, but I don't think I can justify spending over $4000; any Home Depot type store will cost about 4600 after tax, warranty, etc. If I got it from Costco it would be just under $4000, but I still think it's super high for a range in a house I don't think I'll be retiring in. :-|

The annoying thing is that apparently, LG has just discontinued the 6336, so now I can't get that from Costco (which would be a bit cheaper). Looks like Lowe's and Home Depot are the cheapest overall.

I could get this cheaper version, the LSIL6334FE, for $1800 at Costco...I have to compare.

What does everyone think of open box appliances? Too risky? Best Buy has a few but if I couldn't add a warranty, I wouldn't want to do it.

And. It seems my outlet is in the middle on the bottom of the wall. It looks like LG wants the outlet on the bottom but on either side. Would I need an electrician to fix that? All the installation prices on these sites say no modifications.

Ugh. Thanks for any opinions.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@barncatz, we basically have no venting. We have an over-the-range microwave. I don't think there's any way to even do anything to fix it...we're in a townhouse and that is on the wall that's between the townhomes. Yay for places built on the cheap in 1977...

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Best Buy shows open box 6336 but it won't deliver it. It's regular price of $2500 for the 6336 includes delivery/install/haul-away. LG website shows 6334 with delivery, installation, haul-away for $1828 before tax.

Home Depot has the Frigidiare FCFI3083AS for less than $1000 including delivery/install/haul-away.

• Lisa Tricinelli
    2 months ago

Love my Cafe. Have had it for 5 years. I use Alexa to turn it on and off so the touch screen doesn't get too gunked up. Also, I dropped something on the top about a year ago and it shattered. It was replaced in about 10 days. The price was a lot less than I thought it would be and the technician extended my warranty. The customer service from GE was phenomenal. This was a new house for us (total remodel) and I always tell everyone that this range is my most favorite part of the remodel.

• Isaac
    2 months ago

@wdccruise the hinges and knobs felt wobbly to me in the store. I am not sure which model it was.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

While we’re at it, can anyone explain the difference in baking/roasting outcomes from true convection vs regular convection? I understand there’s another heating element, but how much of a difference does it make in your baked goods/roast chicken/etc. ?

• Daina L
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Asking about the true convection bc it brings the price up.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

The LG LSE4617ST doesn't have true convection but the intakes for the convection fan are above the fan and not far from the hot bake element located at the top of the oven cavity.

LG LSE44617ST rear of oven cavity and convection fan

• Daina L
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Hi all, I got a single oven induction Cafe range which arrived with a scratch. I was offered compensation to keep it as is, but I'm leaning toward returning or exchanging, and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pay the extra $200 to get the double oven version. I figured out I can store my sheet pans in the bottom of our pantry which means I wouldn't really need the bottom drawer (plus my toddler has been attempting to climb the oven using the drawer handle and the door handle which is dangerous).

I have a giant toaster oven which I use as a second oven, to make toast, and to reheat pizza, but it takes up a ton of counter space. I would want to get rid of it if I got the double oven, but then what do I get to make toast? Just a tiny toaster oven?

I'm overthinking this, but I don't want to buy another appliance...but it's soooo big on the counter...ugh. Do I exchange for the single oven, or swap out for the double oven?

• rebasheba
    14 days ago

I have the Cafe double oven, got rid of my toaster oven but did eventually buy a bread toaster (Magimix, seems like overkill but it is a delight). The upper oven cavity is great for reheating most things, if a little slower than a toaster oven.

All in all I love the double oven! only slight drawbacks are:

the lidded le crueset doesn't totally fit in the lower cavity - we take the knob off

the lower oven is LOW, do not proceed if you have a bad back or hips!