Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajay_bisht23

Carpet Tiles in stairs

Ajay B
3 months ago

Hello,

I am planning to remove the old carpet and install the carpet tiles by myself in 3 bedrooms and common area. My stairs are also carpeted. I got the idea on how I can do it in bedrooms but not getting any videos on carpeting the stairs using carpet tiles. Can you please provide some videos or ideas on how can I do that.

Attached the stair photo.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• cat_ky
    3 months ago

Carpet tiles will not work on the stairway. It needs actual type carpeting. Why carpet tiles anyway, even in the bedroom. Maybe vinyl planking, would be a better choice, or have regular carpeting the same color up through the whole upstairs, and down the steps. Its hard to tell in your picture, but, whats wrong with the carpet that is there?

• Ajay B
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The Carpet is 10 year old so, want to change it . Also, we have small kids coz of which want to keep the carpet. As I want to do it by myself, so carpet tiles seems to be easy diy as compared to regular carpet installation.

Any suggestion on what should I do with the stairs then .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 months ago

Presuming they are builder grade unfinished stairs you will have to pay a carpet store to get them re carpeted. If you haven’t priced out carpet tiles they add up fast, get a price on professional installation of broadloom and see how it compares.

• Ajay B
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Bedroom1 = 18 12 ft
    Bedroom2 = 14
    10 ft
    Bedroom3 = 10*10 ft

I took the quote and it was ~$12,000 CAD for bedroom and stairs. I did a quick calculation if I use carpet tiles and diy, its coming out to be ~~$2500 for 3 rooms and open space(not stairs).

• PRO
    HU-791729054
    3 months ago

But it's awful $2500 quality carpet, with no stairs. Stairs are a HUGE cost to get done because they are so difficult. They are not at all DIY, unless you want the worst result in the world. Carpet tiles are not suitable for stairs either. You have some really jacked up priorities.

• Ajay B
    Original Author
    3 months ago

That way I am looking for suggestions for the stairs. What are the alternatives? $7000 extra for carpet is a big amount for me , can’t afford .

• Iris Graeber
    17 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I hope you come back and read this.

It's tough when we're just getting started in life with a young family, and most folks have to watch their spending carefully. You sound like a great dad to me, wanting to protect your little ones from hard staircases and to keep their dear little feet from the cold floors in their bedrooms. Carpet tiles are great for that. Read lots of reviews and then go view in person, and buy in person if you can (lots of tales of woe about deliveries that didn't come or damaged merchandise or mismatched color -- but also many happy customer reviews too). You're also already thinking outside the box, which is the beginning of a great creative DIY future. There are economical stairs solutions. There are many step-by-step DIY blog posts, images, and YouTube videos where everyday folks have made amazing and gorgeous transitions for their stairs for little money, so spend a little time online getting inspired, learning and seeing what's possible. I did my own staircase and I love how it turned out and have gotten many complements on it. Maybe first see if you can find a carpet remnant store in your area, then see if there is a big enough carpet piece you like. Then give them your stairs measurements and ask what they would charge to install. Maybe 6-7 years ago I got my 13 split entry stairs carpeted for $400, and I don't live in a cheap area. I've seen warehouses around here full of carpet rolls they're selling on Craigslist, and there are installers on that site too. So poke around a bit and make some calls. I got all my hardwood flooring and installation there from Craigslist with a great deal. If you're totally on your own, remove the carpet. Remove the kazillion staples, padding, etc. Spackle the holes. Sand. Then prime, then paint the stairs (probably brown to match the wood) and put several coats of Minwax Polyurethane on them to protect the paint. That will yellow a bit over time but you won't notice it over brown (when protecting white or any pale color that might show yellowing, use Polycrylic instead). Then go look online for carpet treads for stairs. There are lots that aren't expensive. There are even some that cover the bullnose, which would make them the equivalent of fully carpeted stairs in regards to cushioning falls for yourself and your loved ones. All you do is peel and stick. Don't despair. You can learn to do anything. Please post pictures of what you do so we can tell you how smart and clever you are, and you can inspire others.

• J Mig
    16 days ago

@iris graeber . - what lovely and pragmatic words you provided to the original poster. Please post more, we need your sensibility on Houzz.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus