Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eithkrp1

Marvin Window Decisions - Ultimate, Elevate, picture, etc.

Paschall
3 months ago

Working through all the possibilities of window types on this new construction. Would just go all Ultimate but the full package would push around $103k, (Elevate is $65k) trying to determine if possible to adjust some places to bring it down some. Especially considering there are some locations we really wanted to increase the glass. One piece of ultimate that is a fit for us is the narrow 5/8" square sticking SDL, plus Elevate doesn't have those options.

Appreciate any feedback on:

• Would a picture window type solution for the front two larger units (Double 3060 Casements with 3030 Transom windows - $5,200 per unit ) have a substantial savings. Could i do these in a different line (Elevate, Essentials vs. Ultimate) and not look out of whack? Checked into Storefront type glass with local folks. Those are roughly $65/sf with the aluminum type frame int/ext. But that can't do any grids except in the glass, which wouldn't match the Marvin SDL.
  • Rear elevation - go to no grids on lower level and use Elevate? (the window units right and left of the center going to change to 3 or 4 equal casements )
  • May go to just equal horizontal sticking. (last pic)

Comments (21)

• kit2022
    3 months ago

I won't be of much help regarding your window selections/budgeting, but I just wanted to say - what a gorgeous house!!

• millworkman
    3 months ago

Marvin fiberglass and Ultimate are not similar enough in appearance to use next to one another or really even the same elevation. If no grids on the rear, the entire elevation should be no grids.

Paschall thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Then it comes down to is it worth the extra hit on the budget to go from $65k to $104k, not sure if there's enough value there or not.

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Doing the math, i was shocked that Ultimate was on average $1k more per window than Elevate.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 months ago

You may want to get another bid, prices can vary a bit from dealer to dealer.

• millworkman
    2 months ago

$1k difference is not that much when you consider it is a higher end window and the SDL's, they add an awful lot.

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I prob know the answer, but i got a quote back on Weathershield Signature (aluminum clad) which prices out about the same as Marvin Elevate. I was more on the fence on Elevate vs. Ultimate, but as you see above the jump is a 50% bump. Is Weathershield Vs. Elevate a valid decision point?

• millworkman
    2 months ago

" Is Weathershield Vs. Elevate a valid decision point? "

My honest opinion, no dog in the hunt, is W/S is garbage, slightly above Pella & Jeldwen at the bottom of the barrel.

Paschall thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I've reached out to a Loewen dealer, will scrap w/s. Thanks again

• millworkman
    2 months ago

Loewen is a good product but will be more then the Ultimate's in almost every instance I have heard thru the years,

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@chispa How do you like your Elevates? Also, in comparison to the Ultimates. I'm leaning towards Elevate just to be able to increase the amount of glass we put on the rear of the house vs. trying to be limited but go with better Ultimate windows.

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

And Elevates do have full SDLs (7//8")

, just not the 5/8" square that Ultimate does

• chispa
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

@paschall, I'm very happy with the Elevates. As I mentioned the only reason I went with Ultimates in the front of the house was for the retractable screens and wanting the house to look pretty from the front with no screens.

The house we owned in CA had Millgard vinyl windows that were 12 years old when we bought the house. I hated those windows! So we wanted to have better windows in the retirement house that we built. Most new construction in my area of FL use PGT windows, a big player for Impact /hurricane rated windows in FL. Same windows get used in $400K homes and $2 mill homes, but you get a builder spec vinyl, no SDL and they look flat, one dimensional from the outside, but people don't seem to care!

• J from Lakes Country
    13 days ago

Our Minnesota home has Marvin double hung windows - 33 years old and amazing quality. Wood interior and maintenance free exterior. No air leakage, no broken seals, highly recommend.

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Too late. $80k worth of Marvin Elevate.

• PRO
    Paschall
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I’ll try to remember and come back with pics

• BlueBlob Gaming
    13 days ago

• chispa
    13 days ago

@BlueBlob Gaming, is it really necessary to dig up every Marvin thread from the last 10 years?

One post with your own story and photos is all you needed.

You are starting to look like a vengeful competitor!

Every old post you bring up, to post the same 3 photos, knocks down someone else's current problem/question.

• chispa
    12 days ago

Your photos don't even show that those windows are Marvin!

If what you say about your windows is true, then take your time and energy and use it to work with a lawyer to get a resolution.

Here are my windows on the day of delivery, April 2021. No issues with the windows that were delivered and no issues have come up in the nearly 3 years they have been installed.

I have a mix of Ultimate and Elevate, all casements with hurricane/impact glass.

Very happy with them compared to the Milgard windows in our previous house and Andersen in the 2 house before that.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    12 days ago

You have your true experience and I have mine. Why are you allowed to comment and post and not me ?? Enjoy your windows were done with conversion.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County