Question regarding Basmati rice calories

bostonoak

My brand of Basmati rice is called Maman.

The nutrition facts label on the zipper bag that the rice is contained in says that the serving size is 1/4 cup (45 grams) which are 160 calories.

Today I cooked 4 cups.

Before I ate I weighed the rice on my food scale. It came to 450 grams. I ate all the rice.

Does this mean I gained 1,600 calories? That's what my math tells me. I just want to make sure.

Please let me know if you know for sure.

Thanks!

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I think that's 1/4 cup uncooked - cooking increases the volume. My bag of Jasmine rice states 1/4 cup dry yields 3/4 cup cooked.

Was that 4 cups uncooked or after it was cooked? 4 cups raw would make 12 cups cooked - hard to imagine eating 12 cups cooked rice...

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bostonoak
bostonoak

Thanks! I think I caught my mistake! Sorry, I meant to say I cooked 2 cups (not 4). I used 4 cups of water.

The 45 grams mentioned on the tag must be for the rice when it's not cooked while the 450 grams that I ate were cooked.

Maybe I need to measure what 45 grams are when cooked. That weight that I come up with will then help me to determine the calories that I gain. For example, if what I eat equals 90 grams.

Then this comes to 2 servings. Since one serving is 160 calories, I gain 320 calories.

Does this make sense? Is this what you're trying to say? 😀

Save    
Olychick

google says:

Save     Thanked by bostonoak
bostonoak

I just cooked 45 grams of rice. When cooked they weigh 125.5 grams. For simplicity, we'll just say 125 grams. Does this mean that 125 grams gives you 576 calories (according to my Lose It! app)? You got 585 which is almost the same. Thanks for the feedback. But I'm still not happy. If I'm correct, I think the calories are too high. If my calculations are correct, I consume far less calories with cornmeal than rice. 😀

Save    
plllog

A cup of cooked white rice weighs about 200g and has about 200 Calories.

White rice is basically sugar. Quick energy and potentially filling. Not diet food.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I think your math might be off.

Adding water and cooking rice isn't going to increase calories - And if you weighed the cooked amount and it was 125.5 grams, how do you get to 450 as the number of grams you ate?

According to this, 2 cups cooked rice is not 450 grams, but 316...

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

If 45 grams of uncooked rice is 160 calories.... adding water to it is not going to increase the calories, water does not have calories. If you add 90 grams of water to 45 grams of rice, it is still 160 calories after cooking to that final 125.5 gram weight.

If you use other liquids to cook your rice, than that gets added. If you use a broth that has fat calories or sodium, if you use a vegetable juice those calories and nutes, if you use dairy then you add in that nutritional profile.

Save    
John Liu

Just use *cooked* rice 1 cup = 420 cal or 100 g = 130 cal, depending if you measure by volume or weight.

If you add butter or oil to the water, or cooked in broth, or used too much water and made very wet soggy rice, these numbers will be too low. But for practical purposes, they should be good enough.

Save    
bostonoak

I'm confused. I appreciate all the feedback I'm getting.

Let me show you the nutrition facts tag that came with the rice bag (see attached photo). And by the way, the rice I'm using is Basmati. I don't know whether that makes any difference.

Save    
plllog

This is why we measure the dry rice. The water adds both weight and air fluff. As you can see, all of our measures for cooked disagree, because you'd have to know the weight of the water absorbed and how many grains of rice were measured. A little easier by weight than volume, but sometimes you have to rough it when you're not the cook.

Since you're the cook, use the info on your label. It says it right there. 45g basmati is listed as about a quarter of a cup. That's dry. Which agrees with your top post. So two cups dry is 8 servings. 8 x 160 = 1280. If you cooked in broth, just add the total Calories for the broth to the total for the dry rice.

Celery is said to burn more Calories in digestion than the few digestible (not cellulose) Calories it has. Rice is the opposite. Grasses, i.e., grains were the first crops planted and reaped by settling nomads because they're chock full of Calories. All that food value.

Save    
agmss15

I think like others have said you have uncooked and cooked rice calories mixed up. You might want to cook 1/4 cup (ie a single serving) dry rice to see what that looks like/weighs cooked. If it would be what you would consider a ‘serving’. I find that helpful to get a real sense of what I am eating.

I also often add oil when preparing rice - you would need to take that into account if you do as well.

beesneeds

1/4 cup uncooked is 160 calories. No matter how much water you add, after cooking it is 160 calories. If you use 1/2 cup, that would be 320 calories uncooked and cooked, no matter how much water you use. A cup of uncooked is 640 calories, and still is after cooking.

What changes is the volume of the rice. Since the general ratio is 1:3, that is your volume increase. 1/4 cup of uncooked rice is roughly 3/4 cup of cooked volume. 1 cup of uncooked rice increases in volume to around 3 cups rice. The rice swells with water volume, not with calories.

Adding other things or using liquids other than water can change the calories or other of the cooked rice.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

If one serving of cooked rice is 3/4 cup, eating 2 cups would be a bit under 3 servings. 160 X 3 = 480 calories.

bostonoak

plllog and beesneeds,

I'm very grateful for all the feedback.

The way you two have explained it has finally clicked in my mind. As you can probably tell, my quantitative skills are not great.

After I cooked 1/4 cup of rice and weighed it I got 125 grams. 125 grams is 160 calories. Once I've entered this info on my Lose It! app, it will do the caloric calculation for me as long as I weigh the food and give it the weight.

Lose It! is a great app. But you have to enter the correct nutrition facts info on it. I'm still new to the app. I got it in September. It's helped me lose 24 pounds so far.

2 Likes Save    
Olychick

"125 grams is 160 grams." ???

plllog

The second ”grams” is a typo, and should read ”Calories”.

colleenoz

But, the weight of 45 grams of raw rice, after cooking, may not always be 125 grams as that will depend on how much water the rice has absorbed.

So just weigh the rice when it is raw and don’t worry about the cooked weight.

plllog

Colleen, you're right as such things go, but her cooked weight should be close enough, and that's what's required by her diet calculator app. It'll be close enough, and she's having good success usinng it.

bostonoak

Olychick & Plllog,

Thanks for catching my typo. I've corrected it. Yes, 125 grams is 160 calories. Yes, Lose It! is a great app, at least for me. I'm learning a lot about food. Look what I just learned about rice. 😀

Thanks for all the feedback!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 9 Questions to Ask When Planning a Kitchen Pantry
Avoid blunders and get the storage space and layout you need by asking these questions before you begin
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Housekeeping Dishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
Scott Davidson founded Davidson Builders in 1998. Scott graduated from Michigan State with a BS in Construction... Read More