Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisase

Need help with this wall

lisase
3 months ago

Hello all. I would appreciate your input on this wall. Is looks boring and bland to me. Should I paint the wall an accent color (maybe navy blue), mount the tv and get rid of the pictures? Would it be weird to put two pictures to the right of the tv and one to the left, above the chair (if the tv was mounted) Your suggestions are much appreciated. I have included some other pics of the room for context. I like coastal colors, nothing modern farmhouse.

Wall in question.....

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    3 months ago

Nice room. Suggestion is to remove the boy’s pictures altogether and put them somewhere else such as on a hall wall. Another suggestion is to move the chair to the right of the TV opening up the walking space between the TV console and the couch. A nice basket or plant no taller than the chair to the left of the TV would balance it out. Best wishes.

lisase thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Please remove the dog bed from the hearth. The hearth is made from a fireproof material for a reason. Even a flame retardant material will smolder and smoke enough to cause a lot of damage. Kids are really cute, but should not be a focal point in this room.🙂

lisase thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

I also do not think familt photos belong in spaces where you entertain. Those are lovely but hung in a more private space like a hallway leading to bedrooms is a perfect spot for gallery wall of family pics.To me the chaire loks like it does not belong in the area . The console much too small and I think a darker wood one along with a darker wood coffeetable would be nice .Is this the only room for the TV? Is the FP actully real or just electric? A pice of art with a bit more color would allow you to introduce some bits of color in the pillows . BTW if you need to move pillows to sit you have too many .

lisase thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all for your comments. I knew the pics would have to go.....hallway it is. I'll definitely be getting a bigger console and switch out the coffee table for a darker one. Another question....should the tv be hung on the wall? Should I paint that wall a color or are accent walls out? Thank you!!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Yes to hanging the tv on the wall, and no accent color. If you feel the room needs more color, pick one from a rug or curtains or art and use that in accessories.

lisase thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

When I hang the tv on the wall and get a bigger console, do I need to put stuff on the console or can I leave it? Just seems like a lot, especially with my bookcases full of stuff. Thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

A media console is there as a visual support.

It needs nothing on it.

A tv does not require anything around it.

If you have a smart tv" ?

Go on You Tube - get the app for art for the tv.!

You won't need to look at a black hole: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUScmsVOeLM

lisase thanked JAN MOYER
  • acm
    3 months ago

Just because it seems to have been left out, I'd put a floor lamp next to that chair, or a very small table with a reading lamp.

lisase thanked acm
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

JAN MOYER I totally agree on the coffee table being too light. You said it's the wrong size (not a sectional but sofa and loveseat). Is it too big or too small? I would love some sort of ottoman so it's softer for out feet when we watch tv. Thoughts? Thank you!

• cubby14
    3 months ago

When you're looking for a tv console make sure to get one longer than your current one. TV should be around 2/3 the size of what is below it. There are some beautiful photos here on Houzz that show a long low console and then how to style it. Also don't hang the TV too high. That is a common mistake that people make.

television viewing height - Google Search · More Info

lisase thanked cubby14
  • PRO
    Darci Hether New York
    11 days ago

Maybe try some 3D or textured artwork over the fireplace and try removing the kids photos. You could look at placing a tall plant on the one side of the TV console and then place a floor lamp next to the chair. Perhaps also look at adding more greenery from plants and some fresh flowers, like an orchid. You could also look at adding some textured blankets and pillows around for added depth.

Hudson River Views · More Info

Hudson River Views · More Info

Relaxed luxury · More Info

pied-à-terre in the clouds, 200 amsterdam, nyc · More Info

Financiers Pied-à-Terre, Tribeca, NYC · More Info

Watersound Beach New Construction · More Info

lisase thanked Darci Hether New York