Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_389678338

Can anyone provide more info about these items please?

HU-389678338
6 months ago

This Borzoi is 14” tall and I only see 1 reference to another one exactly like him online. That post stated that he is paper Mache(?) and that he was in the Tiffany & Co catalog from 1893 (which I was not able to find). Can anyone provide more info or best guesses as to maker, price and history?

i also have what appear to be a pair of Japanese bronze Akita pups at play and am wondering if anyone can tell me if they are authentic or fake and the value etc?

Thank you so much!

Nicole

Comments (14)

• Olychick
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

this looks like the one you found. Have you tried contacting this gallery?

http://www.hamsheregallery.co.uk/stock.php?id=1367

Here is a pair on 1st Dibs. These have been lacquered. Says they are from the 1970's and are made of plaster. https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/building-garden/statues/pair-plaster-irish-wolfhounds/id-f_97653/

• elcieg
    6 months ago

Russian Wolfhound, cast from an artisan-grade resin mold. ???? maybe

• HU-389678338
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you Linda. I agree that it does NOT look like paper mache. That is what i saw online and caused me a lot of confusion. And yes I have looked them up on google lens and that is where I saw that they could be the Japanese Akitas.

Thank you Olychick. Yes, i saw both of those and I did try contacting the gallery a few weeks ago but never heard back. The gallery mentioned the paper mache and the 1893 Tiffany & Co catalog.

Thank you Elcieg. yes Russian Wolfhound/Borzoi. Yes, possibly but not sure was hoping someone here might recognize the makers mark.

• Sigrid
    6 months ago

It looks to me like your markings say the borzoi was made in 1970-72.

• HU-389678338
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I have noticed though that many other items will simply be stamped 72 when they were actually made in 1872. i dont see a 19, do you?

• Olychick
    6 months ago

Since there are two pairs available that are identical, it seems it would be unlikely they are from 1872. The 1st Dibs listing (the set that are painted) says they are a plater resin mix from the 1970's.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

Did anyone else note the size difference? The linked listing says life size. 14" is certainly not life size, and the photo above looks to be even smaller than that to me..

HU-389678338 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • olychick
    6 months ago

Good catch Carol! The ones I linked are 43” but if you look at the bases on all, they appear to be identical molds. I wonder if they were sold in 2 different sizes or are replicas of museum pieces?

HU-389678338 thanked olychick
  • colleenoz
    6 months ago

It says, ”Height, 41” ”, not 14”.

HU-389678338 thanked colleenoz
  • Iri
    6 months ago

I do not see a 19 before the 72, but the copyright symbol wasn't introduced until the 20th century, so 1872 would be unlikely.

HU-389678338 thanked Iri
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 months ago

Papier mache would be very lightweight, compared to plaster or resin, I think.

And where do you see 41 inches, colleen? The photos in the OP certainly do not look to be 41" high.

• colleenoz
    5 months ago

Ah, I was looking at the description of the other borzoi statue. I wonder if that might be a typo? It seems odd that there should be two almost identical statues in such different sizes.

HU-389678338 thanked colleenoz
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 months ago

Not if one is a copy in miniature...