Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jehanne_hansen

Do you have a Singer 401?

claudia valentine
6 months ago

Who among us here has a Singer 401?

I have my moms and it is the very one that I learned on.

What a grand old machine it is! At the time that it was sold, it was pretty much the machine that was marketed to the average sewer. That was from a time when there were not so much these tiers, or levels of machines at different price points.

Back then, most machines were still being built as pretty solid machines which is what the consumer expected.

The 401 did present with some features and stitch patterns and the slant needle that was supposed to be a game changer, but wasnt really. I think I read somewhere recently that it sold for somewhere around maybe two hundred dollars, which, of course was not cheap for the mid century.

This was before you could buy an inexpensive machine from the variety store/Walmart. Back then it was all purchased from dealers and there were not the different levels of marketing as we see today.

Today you can buy an inexpensive one that is probably going to cost more to service than to replace, or you can buy one that has more than anyone could ever want or need and at a price that is likely far beyound any real useful value and is, largely, mostly marketing hype. What is harder to find nowadays is the one in the middle that offers some real qualtiy in the machine without all the marketing hype of computers and a range of features of questionable value.

But back then, the field was more narrow and it was expected that the machine would be affordable to the average family and the average consumer expected none other than something built to last.

I read that back a little futher in the century that Singer offered a buy back or trade in with your old Singer and they actually destroyed the old machine. The idea was to keep women from passing down thier machines when they bought a new one. If a product has that kind of realiable endurance, they dont need to be replaced. Well built durable goods are not what drives the economy. They have to keep us coming back to constantly replace.

Many a Walmart purchased Brother has bit the dust, but the old 401 is still sewing strong 70 years after! That is a marketing infrastructure and sure it must be lucrative for them.

I like to watch people clean, restore and service these old machines. It is not entirely true that the 401 is all metal. There is one part in there that is made of nylon, I think, but is still a very solid piece. These old machines have what I think is called a worm gear instead of a belt drive. And the motors are servicable!

I did use the 401 as my main squeeze for some time, but my main machine is a Bernina, a mechanical model from the 70s that I bought new at the time. I dont care for the computer ones and have no desire to have one.

I also dont find any thrill in the embroidery machines. I,personally, would tire of that novelty pretty quickly. I cant see any real value to doing that . How many personalized baby blankets can anyone want? I would prefer a couple of old fashioned lazy daisy stitches and some french knots on a little girls dress.

So, who has a 401 and has great respect for it? If you do have one, head over to AndyTube on YOuTube and watch him restore and spiff up these old machines. I have seen him demonstrate putting the machines in the shower and completely washing them after having pretreated them with what he uses. I watched him do a machine wiht the motor still in it the other day, and after he dried it and greased and oiled up the gears, it ran beautifully! I dont think that one was a 401. He is a fount of knowledge about all makes of machines. I love to watch him.

Comments (3)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I have a 401A I found in a thrift shop for about $15, and it works great - all I needed to do was oil it and purchase a new pedal, electric cord,and manual, which brought my total cost up to just under $50, IIRC.

I used to have a different slant needle Singer machine I inherited from a great aunt, but the nylon gears on that one wore out.

We still have my mom's old Featherweight in its original case too. I grew up sewing on that, and even took it to college with me.

Thanks for the recommendation on the YouTube channel - I'll have to look at that 🙂

• woodrose
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I have two 401A's; my Mom's in a desk cabinet, and one that my late DH bought for me at a garage sale for $20. I also have a 301A that DH found at a Goodwill for $15. The 301 came with the case, 20 bobbins in a case (which also fit the Featherweight), and a buttonhole attachment. I love all of them. There's nothing like an old Singer slant-needle machine.

Claudia, I'm going to check out that YouTube channel. It sounds like a good one for vintage Singer sewing machine lovers.

Correction: I believe my two machines are 403A's.

• claudia valentine
    Original Author
    5 months ago

What a sewing machine nerd I am! I watch Andy work on machines just for the fun of it!

Just about everyone who has one of these is happy that they do.

Mine still is in good working order with the exception of one thing that I have not found yet how to remedy.

It is hard for me to clean it of the patina of time. My mom sewed and sewed and sewed and my dad etched his SS number and his name on the bottom just in case it ever got stolen .He did that with any and all of things in the house , because they did get robbed once. But, we think it was a relative that did it.

It was the one that my mom got brand new when I was a very young child. She sewed all of her own clothes and all of mine.

It has the patina of my mom about it so am a bit reluctant to make it as clean as possible.

I learned to sew on it when I was somewhere around 9 or 10.

If you find these old machines for such a small price, grab them!

I think that if I found one I might be tempted to buy it just to have it for parts or to experiment with. Although I dont know what wil become of it after me. My kids dont want it and the grandkids dont know, are young or just have no interest.

These grand old dames of the sewing past are becoming THE machine to have! The newer, and especially the cheap machines being sold in big box stores, are hardly more than cheap appliances. These old machines were real tools. I love real tools.

You know that there used to be a website where you could enter the serial number of your machine and it would tell you where and the exact day that it was made. I have not looked in a long time and cant vouch for if it is still avaialble.

I had a Featherweight that I just passed on down to a friend of my daughters. It was a good machine but i had to downsize and there it went. It had belonged to my MIL who did not sew and the only reason she had it was that she got it from another woman who didnt sew, either. that was from a time when most households had a machine as a utility tool. So, I was not vested in that machine as I am with the 401.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022