Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimobrien1

Marvin windows ugly etching update

Kim O'Brien
6 months ago

I’m building an addition and planned for Marvin Elevate windows. Today, I discovered that as of November 2023, the company is changing their logo and product identifiers to now be etched permanently onto the interior of the glass, in the corner of the window sash. I am not a fan of how this will look and am now reconsidering going with Marvin. Designers, am I making too big a deal about this?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Kim O'Brien
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Correction: this was a 2003 change

• dennisgli
    6 months ago

Is that how it really looks? Or has that photo been "enhanced" so it is more visible?

• PRO
    DeWayne
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Complete mountain out of a molehill. All tempered glass from anyone will come with that etching. And it doesn't look like that either. That's super enhanced to stand out. It's barely even visible.

• millworkman
    6 months ago

" Is that how it really looks? Or has that photo been "enhanced" so it is more visible? "

Laser etched, so the writing be basically be frosted. Pretty obscure and every piece of tempered glass has a very similar marking now.

• Louise Smith
    6 months ago

My Andersen sliders also had etched identification. It helped when we needed to replace the doors. We had all the information we needed on the door itself. You had to really look for it- the frosted etching is almost invisible.

• chispa
    6 months ago

Good grief 2003 ... that was 20 years ago! Have you seen any posts complaining about this in the last 20 years? We built in 2021 and used Marvin (elevate & ultimate) windows . I had to go check my windows, because I never noticed any marking. Yes, they are there and I never noticed the faint markings!

• chinacatpeekin
    6 months ago

I’ve never noticed this on my Marvin windows, and I’m not getting up to look:)

• cpartist
    6 months ago

PGT windows here and the etching is on every single window. I was in my house 4 years before I noticed it.

• millworkman
    6 months ago

Like I mentioned every piece of tempered glass has that logo, so that it is identifiable. I guess Marvin does it on all. Not a big deal and a very obscure etching for sure.

• chispa
    6 months ago

Just visit your local Marvin dealer/showroom and see for yourself that it isn't an issue at all.

• ghatta
    6 months ago

We have Marvin windows and can’t see anything

• elcieg
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Don't worry about the etching; worry about the seal breaking. I had to have 4 Marvin sliders replace twice...twice. I was not happy with Marvin, and there was no offer to pay for the painter to come in and patch, either time.

Give me Anderson any day.

• millworkman
    6 months ago

Seals breaking does not required the entire unit to be replaced or the wall patched.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    14 days ago

Frames cracked/yellowing /drafty will require total replacement, within

80days.

7 windows 1 patio door all flaking. 1 maybe 2 defective would be reasonable but 100% defective ???