Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glowgirlinto

Repair or replace AGA Pro+ (36”)

Laura
8 months ago

At least one layer of the interior oven glass is cracked. Repair estimate is about $1,800 if it’s just the one layer and likely an additional $1,200 if the second layer is cracked too.

The unit is about 10 years old and came with the house. I’ve been using it with the cracked glass and was told pretty explicitly that it was a terrible decision.

Do I spend $1,800 to $3,000 to repair or do I look for a new unit?

Looking at old threads, it seems like there is a lot of garbage out there in the 36” size for gas and/or dual fuel ranges (Thor, NXT, Kucht).

We are NOT in the market for a high end purchase at this point - this includes the very popular BlueStar which is about $20,000 in Canada.

Frigidaire, Cafe and KitchenAid all have a 36” dual fuel. They seem to run $6,000-9,000 for me locally. Even getting up to $10k will be a big stretch.

If we replace, the cooktop must be gas but I’m open to both gas and electric for the oven. We are also stuck with 36” until we renovate this kitchen in 10-15 years.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• M Miller
    8 months ago

You don’t mention whether you’ve enjoyed cooking with it (other than the oven glass issue). If you have, I’d repair it.

• Laura
    Original Author
    8 months ago

You’re right, I have LOVED IT! I’m just hesitant to sink so much money into it when it’s already a decade old. I’m concerned about how much parts cost and how many repairs it may need in the future. I know actual AGAs are basically lifetime appliances, but I’m not sure where this one falls in terms of life expectancy.

I either need to get about 10 years from this one and limp it along or buy something that can give me 10 years (maybe North American manufacturing so parts are cheaper?)

• HU-918119203
    8 months ago

If it were a "real" AGA, then I would repair because yes, they will basically last forever. This is not, it's just a conventional range with AGA branding. Given that, and that it is 10 years old, and that if you put $3,000 into it today there is no guarantee it won't need another $3,000 repair in a year or two, I'd probably replace it. Perhaps look for used appliances from brands with great track records?

• Laura
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. That will only save us about $300. The part alone is $900 USD plus shipping to Canada - they gave me an estimate of $200 to ship which is basically about $1500 CAD to get it here. If I discover that more than one layer is damaged, I pay the same amount to get the second one delivered too. It’s a bit nuts LOL

• just_janni
    8 months ago

If it's 2 of the same glass panels - buy both and have a spare to reduce shipping costs.

(of course if you buy 2, that guarantees that only one will be damaged...)

• venmar
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

If the cracked pane is the middle glass pane I woule just continue to use it as is, just don't use the self clean function that if i remember correctly this unit has. I also have a cracked middle pane on another brand stove and have been using it as is without a problem. I don't understand the one layer/two layer point since all the oven window units I am familiar with are either a two layer or three layer sealed one piece unit the same way twin or triple pane house windows are one unit.excluding the other possibility of a third or fourth face panel which are usually spaced away from the sealed unit to allow cooling air flow between the interior unit and the front exterior face of the oven door.

• Jul U
    15 days ago

Hey, where did you find a glass for your AGA pro? Mine got broken, and it seems like a challenge to find a replacement.

Thanks

• Laura
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I gave up. I’m in Canada and it had to come from the UK, via the US and I was quoted $1200-1800 to fix it. Found a new range instead LOL

• Jul U
    15 days ago

Laura, thanks for your reply! I am in Canada too. This ranger is a thing lol I still cannot find the replacement. Can you share where did you find the glass from? I have no choice, and just buy it. Thank you :)

• wdccruise
    15 days ago