Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mishdish

30” or 36” wolf range

mishdish
11 months ago

Renovating my kitchen. Completely new layout from my existing. Do I put a 30” or 36”range? To put a 36” range we put a 6” spice pullout vs. a 12” and upper cabinets change. Which way do I go?

Comments (18)

• Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

It's what you prefer and/or require to met your cooking needs. Do you need six burners? Does having a 36 inch range require a different type of hood? Yes. A 30 inch range seems proportionate for your kitchen size. I had a duel fuel Thermador, 30 inch range and loved it.

Another question, why the overhang on the island, do you intend to put stools there in the middle of the workflow path? I love islands for working space and storage if; there are cabinets underneath, but it's a relatively small island and the overhang seems to be in the workflow space. Can the island be turned (90 degrees) to parallel the range, and the overhang therefore would be out of the workflow area?

• lharpie
    11 months ago

Prep space between sink and stove looks tight already - if you don't have a strong preference for a 36" I'd go with 30". Agree it seems like island should be rotated to be used as additional work space by sink/stove.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

The kitchen size does not merit 36 inches. Your venting looks inadequate. The island is oriented incorrectly.

Show a 2 dimensional flat on paper plan with all the dimensions. show the adjacent spaces as well. These elevated drawings show nothing but guesswork dimensions

Spices? Away from the heat please. A drawer is great, facing up labels.

• HU-918119203
    11 months ago

I have a 30" Viking range and have never needed anything more. I think a 30" looks more proportionate in a small kitchen, too.

• la_la Girl
    11 months ago

For that size kitchen i would go with 30” - it is fairly simple to add countertop options if you need extra space for an annual holiday meal or two but no need to have all that size for the rest of the year

• mishdish
    Original Author
    11 months ago

That’s what I was worried about. Thank you for your input. I’m not a huge cook and I cater when I have a party. Very rarely would I ever use 5.
    Do you have a 36”hood with the 30” oven?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

IMO then a 30" range is all you need and I agree with Jan for the rest.

• mishdish
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Here’s the floor plan without the island. My problem is I have a lot of entry points. We are opening the wall to the dining room to make it more open.

• mishdish
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I wanted a microwave and beverage fridge in the island .

• M Miller
    11 months ago

"Do you have a 36”hood with the 30” oven?"

Ideally, yes you'd have a hood that is 6" wider than the range. But many people cannot fit that, and it is fine to do a 30" wide hood over a 30" range IF you make sure to get a hood that is a good depth front-to-back - should be 24" deep, you can get away with 22" deep but no shallower than 22". PLUS do not overlook your ducting - you are getting a Wolf range which is powerful and you said you cook a lot. The duct from the hood to the outside needs to be 8" or 10" diameter, no smaller. Do not brush this aside; it is important.

Just Say No to a spice pullout next to the range. They're a pain - you have to bend or squat and peer to see the spices, the bottles jostle and fall over, and as Jan mentioned, you should not have spices next to a heat source. A better solution is a spice drawer insert - Rev-a-Shelf has them, but other companies do as well, and they come in different widths depending on what you need. You could store your spices in a shallow drawer to the right of the range. It's great to have them so near at hand, and so easily visible.

• jwvideo
    11 months ago

>>>"Do you have a 36”hood with the 30” oven?"<<<

ETA: M Miller's post went up as I was posting and I didn't mean to duplicate the good advice given there.

Yes, if "oven" means "range." The practical reason is that, as Kaseki has so often pointed out here in the many threads on hoods, cooking "effluent" spreads in conical plumes as they rise. The general recommendation is to have a hood that overlaps the right and left sides of the range by 3" per side, so a 36" wide hood for 30" range.

Also, the hoods in the renderings look like they are only 18" deep. Those look sleek but extend only partly over the front burners. That means poor capture from pans on front burners. Consider hoods that are deeper (front to back). If it works with your budget, try to get something taller with more of a canopy to get better containment ("capture') of plumes. That's a bigger deal for ranges like Wolf models with higher-output gas burners even if you are not "a huge cook.".

Have you or your designers considered "make up air" (MUA) so that the hood won't backdraft other gas appliances such as furnaces and water heaters?

• Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago

@mishdish bev fridge is nice if it fits in the island, as for a microwave I don't know the specs, or pros and cons, but please do consider turning that island 90 degrees.

• wdccruise
    11 months ago

Note that the Wolf GR304 gas range was a weak performer in CR's tests of "pro-style" gas ranges. The Monogram ZGP304NTSS performed much better.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

I always want to see the REST of the "story"

Draw a fuller floor plan add all the dimensions walls and windows, openings etc. Dining room, den...ALL of it

Post it : )

Humor me, please

Ditto to Monogram !

• Sally T
    11 months ago

@mishdish - think about what YOU want. My last house had a spice pullout next to the stove. The stove was well-insulated and never shed heat (and it was a pretty basic model, not fancy). I loved the pullout spice. I have a drawer now and I really don't have a preference either way.

• mishdish
    Original Author
    14 days ago

An update: Here is my layout now. I need help with deciding to put a countertop under the pantry upper cabinet or just kill the countertop at the start of the pantry. I’m limited on space. If extend the countertop than I’ll only have 39” - 40” of aisle space. If I stop the countertop at the beginning of the pantry, than I’ll get 42” aisle space between pantry and island. Which on that side of the island is a subzero fridge drawer. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

• mishdish
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Also, comments on the backsplash too. Do you think I’m making the kitchen look smaller by adding the 4” backsplash and the slab behind the stove?

Should I just do a simple subway with a soldier row for detail, than standard subway pattern above it?