ole joyful needs help - what foods need I eat to build blood back up?

HU-127064464

Two weeks ago today started having heavy blood flow in urine. Have had such rarely, usually stopping abruptly after a couple of days, urine going back to just yellow, doc hasn't been worried.
This time it continued. I was doing income tax, not very effectively. Blockage during weekend, I'd had catheters for several years until surgery to install pipe in prostate last fall, had a couple left over, installed one - carefully.Catheters have small tubes and blood likes to clot, it worked for a time but eventually blocked. Doc said to go to urgent care, the one he recommended closed just as I arrived, I went to Emerg. in nearby Univ. Hosp., admitted a week ago Tues. Substantial ongoing blood flow, they gave me two transfusions, many bags of saline. On Thurs. transferred to hosp in nearby city serving my area. Ultrasound showed not sufficient problems in bladder to justify sending in devices, they continued flushing and watchful waiting, eventually leakage stopped, I was sent home last Tuesday evening, after exactly seven days of treatment.
To see my doc soon, had regular blood test today, so they'll have most recent info.
What foods should I eat to rebuild my blood?
Thank you for your suggestions.
My ex-, 20 years in charge of food service in a major local psych. hospital would have had ideas ... but she died 10 years ago.
ole joyfuelled

SaveComment32Like
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds

What has been recommended by your medical professionals? Sounds like you should have something about diet somewhere in your recent paperwork.

1 Like Save     Thanked by HU-127064464
lucillle

Hoping you are feeling better soon. Here are iron rich foods:

Lean meat.seafood.poultry.iron-fortified breads and cereals.nuts.beans.lentils.raisins.

I love liver and onions, do you?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by HU-127064464
foodonastump

OMG you put in your own catheters?! You must be fueled by more than joy. I nearly passed out reading that. I have no medical or dietary advice but wish you well. I've gotta go lie down now!

Save     Thanked by HU-127064464
arcy_gw

Meat/protein with ketchup. Helps with absorbtion.

Annie Deighnaugh

Wow! I'm so sorry you are going through all this and hemorrhaging is scary stuff! I'm glad you're on the mend. The best to build blood is to take iron supplements...ask your doctor if he hasn't suggested any...some are more easily absorbed than others. Just be aware that iron supplements will turn your stool dark and can be constipating. So you'll want to make sure you drink water and eat foods high in fiber or look at a psyllium supplement ... like metamucil...or stool softeners. Also eat foods that are rich in iron...red meat, spinach, poultry, nuts, fish and beans. Stay well!

Elizabeth

I am in the same position almost. I was left anemic after surgery and blood loss and had transfusions. I do eat liver, red meat, legumes and Cream of Wheat which is fortified with iron. I have improved greatly. It still takes time for your body to produce those red blood cells. Get plenty of rest.
Best wishes for a great recovery.

Elmer J Fudd

Get advice from your doctor. Best wishes.

morz8 - Washington Coast

I think your doctor will have some suggestions, or possibly set you up with a nutritionist. I'm not well versed in issues of blood, but when I was donating my own for a surgery several years ago when barely meeting their weight minimum, the women at the blood bank told me red meat and raisins. I preferred the softer golden raisins if those are available to you.

Olychick

Iron supplements can interfere with some medications you might be taking so I would NOT start iron supplements unless your doctor advises you. The iron in meat and poultry is most easily and readily absorbed, so I'd start with eating more of that if you can.

I think most of these have already been posted:

• Red meat, pork and poultry.
  • Seafood.
  • Beans.
  • Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.
  • Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots.
  • Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas.
  • Peas.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by HU-127064464
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Along with iron rich foods, eat Vitamin C rich foods at the same time. Orange juice is perfect, but also strawberries, mango, sweet and bell peppers, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and more. The Vitamin C aids in the absorption of the iron.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Joyful, I am so sorry that you are having these problems. Lots of men insert their own catheters and have to deal with complications, your situation sounds pretty bad. Fortunately, many foods are rich in iron. Red meats, dark leafy greens, all legumes, most nuts, dried fruits, and fortified breads come to my mind right away.

I’ve been wondering about you lately and glad you stopped by to ask for help. I hope that things look up for you real soon.

salonva

I hope you continue to feel better, and stronger. I agree that you should check with your doctor and possibly the discharge papers for instructions about your diet.

So sorry you've had this "excitement". Stay safe and keep us posted.

Kathsgrdn

Lot of good ideas on what to eat so I won't add any. I hope you start doing better soon!

HU-346835293

Cream of Wheat is what I was told to eat after being anemic.

Lulu

Geez! That sounds horrible! Take care.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Oh gosh, joyful! I cannot imagine how miserable that all was! I think your doctor should be telling you what is best to eat, but the suggestions so far sound good to me. Please take it easy. Do you have anyone to help you?

petalique

Joyful, I am sorry to hear you’ve had some medical woes. I’m glad you are on the mend.

bpath

Ole joyful, you might ask for a referral to a nutritionist who can help you work with what is available, how to prepare it, and what to eat it with.

Wishing you all the best, I enjoy seeing you post and comment!

dadoes

My dad had heavy blood flow from the bladder. Determined to be a fistula forming between the bladder and colon, resulting in stool in the urine. Required a cystoscope to get a visual for locating the breach, it didn't show on a CT. Serious situation and surgery. Probably caused by the brachytherapy he had years earlier, combination with a later resection for colon cancer. Wishing for you to not go there.

sweet_betsy No AL Z7

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery, O.J.

Lars

My favorite foods for you would be spinach and mushrooms, and I like these in an omelet, as eggs would also be good for you.

Like FOAS, I had to cringe when I read your post. I had a horrible bloody experience with a catheter in hospital, and I will not go into details. I take Tamulosin to help with my bladder, as does my brother. I have no prostate problems, but I think my brother does, and so he has to have his monitored.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope you are getting all the help you need from friends. who is helping you with grocery shopping and food preparation?

User

Wishing you all the best OJ!

Listen to your doctor and take care.

maire_cate

It's good that you will see your doc soon. I'm not sure when that might be so rather than wait why not call the doctor's office tomorrow and ask. Your physician should know the results of your hospital stay and what medications you are taking and should be able to give you a list of foods or supplements that will help.

Hope you're back to your old self soon.

samkarenorkaren

Are beets good for that?

HU-127064464

When they took me on a gurney for ultrasound the hallway on our ward was rather cluttered with equipment and people, so I said "Beep! Beep!" as we moved along.

Four or five people laughed and soon after I said to the lady pushing the gurney that I was pleased that several laughed, that health people have been under terrible pressure and stress for over three years, that we are thankful that they persisted, to help our healing, and that if I cause some people to laugh in the midst of it all, I'm pleased, for humour is a great reliever of stress and pressure. She agreed and thanked me.

Fourth day home, recovering well, no pain or no complications, next to no blood in urine, they have me on newer, better blood thinner.

ole joyfuelled

6 Likes Save    
maire_cate

Thanks for the update and I'm so glad that you still have your sense of humor.

chisue

We all know you like to be INdependent, OJ, but times like these may require you to get a little outside help. Help now can prevent the need for a lot more of it when things deteriorate.

My hospital employs a social worker who can coorinate available home help -- not only medical, but help with meals -- even just having groceries delivered. It wouldn't hurt to ask!

petalique

Ole joyful, do you cook and are you able to now? I hope you can find help as Lars and chisue suggested. Frozen greens like spinach allow you to use just a bit in a soup or omlette, returning the rest to the freezer. living alone, cooking for one, in addition to shopping and chore can be overwhelming when you’re feeling under the weather.

Can you ask for some help from social workers connected to the hospital or community? Any senior services? church volunteers? We want you to not overdue things, rest, relax, connect with friends and KT. The news is not uplifting, but perhaps you’ve got some engaging programs or shows, books, movies, birdwatching from inside or your porch?

Thinking of you and glad to hear things are settling down.

sjerin

I’m so glad to see you posting, OJ, and very glad to know you’ve improved since your scare. It’s good too to know you recognize the need for help at times like these. I hope your kids are able to help you figure everything out, help-wise.

I, for one, love to ’hear’ your thoughts on this site. Continue to heal well!

HU-127064464

I've fed myself for years, and solo son is here with me.

They've planned a return of my visiting nurse who came about monthly to change catheters after my car died almost two years ago, I'd visited clinic for two or three years prior, I expect no ongoing need, as surgeon inserted a pipe through my prostate last fall and no catheters since, prior to the blood a couple of weeks ago.

I knew how to change catheters, had done it once when a blockage, nurse not immediately available and lacked transport to hosp. urgent care.

My prostate has long been large, about ten years ago when some guys were telling of their distaste for the doc putting finger up rearend to investigate, I laughed and asked, "You think you got problems - how'd you like to be your doc?"!

They'd never thought about that!

Sometimes if we can put ourselves into someone else's shoes for a while, it'll help us get some more neighborly view of life, and if more of us did it more often, it'd help build happier communities.

Of 12 samples taken about then cancer found in 6 or 7 had 35 shots radiation, no chemo, managed without incident since, doc said he found no evidence of cancer when he put that pipe in last fall. When doc's happy - I'm happy.

Prior to the surgery, when nurse called to instruct me, when she asked me to explain in own words what to happen, I said urethra yelling at prostate - "My job is to take urine to the outside world and you're squeezing so much that I can't do it - would you darn well stay in your own lane!".

The nurse laughed, saying "That's the best one I've heard all day! I've gotta tell it to my friends!"

I said, "Ma'am, you guys in health care have had huge pressures and stresses to deal with for over three years now and you've persisted and been there for us when we needed you, and if you find some stress relief in some of my humour, go for it!".

Some lack of energy and stamina, but feeling well, next to no pain or difficulties, getting quite a lot of sleep.

Was taking glucosamine sulfate to help with joints, I was off all my regular meds while in hosp. and now that I'm back on some discomfort in right shoulder improving.

ole joyful

2 Likes Save    
sjerin

You're really something, Ole Joyful. 😃 Thanks for the assurances that you’re healthy (for a 90-year-old!) and happy, still making people smile. Eat as much red meat as you can manage and continue resting up. Enjoy your son’s visit, too.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Healthy Home 12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
Housekeeping When You Need Real Housekeeping Help
Which is scarier, Lifetime's 'Devious Maids' show or that area behind the toilet? If the toilet wins, you'll need these tips
Full Story