Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_691356572

Will a portable induction cooktop interfere with a computer?

HU-691356572
last year

I want to buy an induction cooktop "hot plate" but I've heard that televisions and radios should not be within 10 feet of one. Would the same hold true for a computer - a chromebook, if it makes any difference? Where I'd want to use the cooktop it's about 2 feet away from my computer. Would it cause interference with the computer?

Comments (10)

• A Mat
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have not had any problems with television, radio, iphone, ipad. Distance maybe 3-5 feet. But But, I am not on the phone and I do not recall using the ipad while the induction was in use, the tv at 3’ was definately on.

The induction plate is in a travel trailer.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Isn’t the basic idea of a laptop is that it’s highly portable, so you can just close it and tuck it away somewhere while you cook?

• kevin9408
    last year

I wouldn't think so. The operating frequency of induction cookers is between 25,000 hertz and 50,000 hertz so the frequency isn't so high it would effect anything. Audio frequencies run up to about 20,000 hertz so they're not much higher than what a induction cooker would runs at and they don't bother computers and TV's.

As far as strengh, or magnitude of the operating frequency I've seen inside the cooking plates where the coils are and the transformer to create the electromagnetic fields are tiny, and to small to amplify any frequency high enough to bother much of anything.

The coil in a microwave is about 100 times bigger than those of induction cook top so I don't see any problem for you. $3.00

• HU-691356572
    Original Author
    last year

No, because it's a desktop, not a laptop!!

• A Mat
    last year

Shoot, I don’t care about my tv, now I wonder what my induction plate is doing to my insides.

in the US, i had college classmates whose electronic companies tested for interference. What has the OP heard!

What have you heard about health issues?

• kaseki
    last year

The wavelength of operation (7.5 km) is so much larger than the hob size, that launching a 40 kHz radio wave out into the room should not be a worry. At 40 kHz one needs a valley and tall towers holding long cables to radiate. Any EMI induced into a TV, radio, computer, or mobile phone would have to come from the power supply inadequately filtering or shielding whatever switching noise it generated. Induction cooktops have to pass FCC rules for emitted noise like most other electrical equipment.

In the interest of an abundance of caution, I think that a person with a pacemaker should not try to get it as close as possible to an active hob, particularly one without a pan on it. The pan detection circuitry will intermittently pulse the coil, and the pulse field could magnetically induce a current into a sensitive circuit conductor within a few inches of the hob. At normal cooking distances the field strength should be orders of magnitude lower and safe for modern devices.

The comment about a coil in a microwave oven does not seem to be relevant. Most microwave ovens use magnetrons, and the microwave frequency generation is performed within the magnetron cavity, and not via any observable coils. Microwave oven ("radar range") safety is accomplished by surrounding the cooking volume with shielding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

• kevin9408
    last year

All applications using electromagnetic radiation involves the same basic principles to achieve a desired task. From a LED light bulb and laser beam to a microwave or medical imaging x-ray machine. a specific wavelength from the electromagnetic spectrum must be produced to be used for the application desired.

with every application without exception requires energy and the most common is electricity. The voltage must be stepped up with a transformer coil to do this, so the size of the coil limits how much electric voltage can be transformed. So a tiny coil in a induction plate can only handle limited low amounts of power, while a 3 to 4 pound coil in a microwave will handle much much more power.

A transformer is usually used in every power supply and a good indication how powerful something is. Transformers in induction plates are tiny little things.

• kaseki
    last year

Kevin: Space (and my time) does not permit me to go over your comment in detail, particularly with respect to teaching basic EE, but it is not valid in several respects. Cutting to what would likely be the end of the discourse I am skipping, I would note that at full continuous power every hob on my Frigidaire induction cooktop transfers more power to the pan base over it than the magnetron in my Sharp OTC microwave oven does to the food in its cavity, or than the magnetron's largish power transformer supplies to the magnetron circuitry.

• kevin9408
    last year

Tiny