Portions sizes: Starbucks Brownie

Christine Freeman

Hi all!

I'm entering what I actually eat into Mastercook, to try to get a handle on that which actually goes in my mouth.

I have the calorie count on one of these brownies, but I don't have the portion size. "Whole" doesn't cut it.

Does anyone have either the info, or a food scale who could weigh their next brownie for me?

Online nutritional info from restaurants is entirely too basic, and often misses things like portion size. I guess what they can't control, they won't list. Managing a restaurant, I get this.

Anyway, I really appreciate it.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

You can get a folding digital scale that fits in your purse/backpack/sling/briefcase for $10-20. If there's too much variation in brownie size for them to list it, there's too much variation for someone else's brownie to be anywhere near accurate.

Save    
CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a

Yes, I know. I wanted a general idea. My batteries are dead. I don't carry a purse and my pockets only have room for my phone, debit card and lipstick. Nice idea, though!

Save    
Christine Freeman

Darn!

I work for a franchise restaurant group, and I know we have different menus + nutrition pages, depending upon where we are in the country.

When I went in before, I found their .pdf file of nutritional info, which didn't include the brownie. A chocolate chunk cookie, yes, but no brownie. I wrote the company at the address on the page in Switzerland and got yet another nutrition .,pdf which had the brownie.

Here, your link, has it on the very same page as the product.

Talk about circles.

Thanks.

I like the little scale, but as I mentioned, I have one but haven't been around during business hours to get batteries.

Thanks for your time and the links!

Save    
plllog

No problem. Sometimes a little variation in search terms, or even search history given all the idiotic predictive environments that get in the way of giving you what you want, can make a big difference! I was actually looking at third party sources that had weighed out the brownies when I stumbled upon the Starbuck's listing.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

postage stamp size

Save    
Islay Corbel

Are you trying to lose weight? I am too. I wouldn't go near any brownie. I know it's going to be high in calories.

Save    
Christine Freeman

Ok.

You asked.

Well, in a way I am and I'm not. After 40 years, I finally made a resolution to try to eat smaller portions. I can out eat most men. It helped that I'd had a head cold that completely knocked out my appetite, so I'm also running with that.

My (normal) diet consists of

Breakfast, about 8 oz of skim milk + double espresso, along with either a Reese's Big Cup or a Starbuck's Brownie.

For lunch, if I have it, it's a salad - lettuce, but with raisins, tomatoes, bacon, cucumbers, celery, pecans, a tiny bit of cheese, eggs, sometimes potato sticks with usually Caesar or Balsamic dressing.

Dinner? Who knows. Maybe another, smaller salad, maybe a Longhorn restaurant steak. The thing is, I work in a BBQ restaurant, so my choices are limited by what I'm not sick of Occasionally I'll have ribs or some chopped pork. Maybe a kids' burger.

All that has put 40 pounds on me, after losing 30 in chemo in 2020.

All I'm trying to do is cut back. Salad has become lettuce, tomatoes, a very little cheese, eggs and bacon, same dressing. Dinner is another salad or a kids' chopped pork sandwich or 2, not 5 ribs. Sometimes some rib tips. Again, side order size of 4ounces, not a dinner size of 16.

Maybe a glass of wine before bed. Maybe not.

I eat the same things every single day. Every. Single. Day.

See, I don't actually eat much but it's quite rich. So cutting down to kids' portions and not bored eating, I can have my regular breakfast. A side effect is at 64, I'm losing weight. 13 pounds since mid December and the head cold. I have to recognize the difference between actual hunger and "oooo that looks good," or "I'm bored, that looks good." (Eating disorders will screw with your head for your entire life.)

So no, I can't say I'm dieting, but I am cutting back.

I really just wanted to add the brownie and other things into my Mastercook so I could see, in my face and unavoidably, what I'm eating and the calories involved.

I am not saying "no" to anything, if I want it. But I am asking myself if I'm hungry or it is an impulse. I've lost 1000s of pounds in my life by dieting and they all came back. I don't do bad things. I have never done drugs, barely drink, don't shoplift, and as far as I can remember, used to like sex, but I don't even do that. So if I have a brownie or Reese's Big cup for breakfast?

Well, hun. I gotta die of something.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Sheltering at Home 15 Essentials for the Baker’s Kitchen
You can turn out delicious home-baked goods with ease when you own these utensils, tools and pans
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
Fun Houzz 31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild
Drugs, sex, excess — the home design industry is rife with stories that will blow your mind, or at least leave you scratching your head
Full Story
Custom Home Works is a full-service Ohio contracting company specializing in high quality custom design, building... Read More