Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ran_dickman

Dual fuel or gas range?

Ran Dickman
last year
last modified: last year

I am renovating my kitchen and need to buy a new range. First, should I go for dual fuel or full gas range? Also, I want to get a double oven with no storage drawer. Is there a make/ model that would have a convection in both top and bottom? We were unable to install a wall oven, so had to settle with a range. Working on a space for 30" range, which has been wired for both gas and electric.

Comments (4)

• eandhl2
    last year

I found meat & fish are more moist in gas oven. i do not bake enough to answer.

• RoyHobbs
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dual fuel ranges cost more and have more electronics than the more simple all gas ranges. More electronics means more that could be finicky or go wrong. For pricing, for example a 30" all-gas double-oven range by GE goes as low as $1300. But a 30" dual-fuel double-oven range by GE is $3700.

Also, you need to decide whether you want a "freestanding" range - it has the panel with the controls on the back. Or do you want a "slide-in" range with the controls on the front and no back panel. There are pros and cons of each style.

As to convection, look at the specs of each one you are interested in, you can't want us to do your research for you. But it would seem to me that the smaller of the two ovens is too small for convection to be needed.

I know that GE (Cafe), Samsung and LG are the manufacturers of 30" double-oven ranges. I would get the GE brand, only because so many reports here of the difficulty of getting parts and service for the Samsungs and LGs. When they work they are good, but if something breaks you are up a creek.

• wdccruise
    last year

CR-recommended slide-in ranges with dual convection ovens. Most ranges have only one convection oven.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Why do you want gas? Unless you have a specific need for gas, I'd recommend choose a cleaner and safer fuel: go induction /electric.

Sponsored
More Discussions